THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

riblette

Knows what a fatty is.
I have a KCBS Rules question…apologies in advance if this has been addressed before….

I have competed for several years and always assumed I could not brine/season/inject/whatever until AFTER the meat inspection. I re-read the rules and I’m not sure that’s true. Rule 7 states (bold and underline are mine):

All competition meats shall be inspected by the KCBS-APPROVED Meat Inspector during the times established by the contest organizer but not prior to the day before judging. Once the competition meat has been inspected, it shall not leave the contest site. Cooking shall not begin until the competition meat has been inspected by the Official Meat Inspector.
All competition meat shall start out raw. No pre-seasoned meat is allowed other than manufacturer enhanced or injected products, as shown on label EXCLUDING but not limited to teriyaki, lemon pepper or butter injected.
When the contest organizer supplies the meat, the contestant is not required to enter only that meat. Competition meat not meeting these qualifications shall be disqualified, not allowed to be turned in, and not judged, and receives no score.

So, my question is: What does “start out raw*” mean? Raw when I procure it? Raw until I get to the contest? Or, raw until it’s inspected. Like I said, I’ve always assumed I couldn’t alter it until after it was inspected, but since the rules state “cooking” shall not begin until after inspection, rather than “cooking and/or seasoning cannot begin until…” it made me wonder. There are plenty of times I’d like to start injecting before the meat inspector gets around to me…..especially at large contests.

Thoughts? Am I just picking nits?

Thanks!

*I also assume raw means, not seasoned, not brined, not injected, etc..

I agree the rule stated above is worded poorly, but I believe the intent of the second paragraph is to define what the meat must be prior to inspection. ("All competition meat shall start out raw. No pre-seasoned meat is allowed other than manufacturer enhanced or injected products, as shown on label EXCLUDING but not limited to teriyaki, lemon pepper or butter injected.
When the contest organizer supplies the meat, the contestant is not required to enter only that meat. Competition meat not meeting these qualifications shall be disqualified, not allowed to be turned in, and not judged, and receives no score.")

I would think one would be dq'd if the meat is seasoned or brined before inspection. Trimming is ok, seasoning not.

The way it was explained to me was "you can take away but you can't add". You can trim but you cannot add any injection, rub or marinade until your meat is inspected.

Cooking shall not begin until the competition meat has been inspected by the Official Meat Inspector.

All competition meat shall start out raw. No pre-seasoned meat is allowed other than manufacturer enhanced or injected products, as shown on label EXCLUDING but not limited to teriyaki, lemon pepper or butter injected.
When the contest organizer supplies the meat, the contestant is not required to enter only that meat. Competition meat not meeting these qualifications shall be disqualified, not allowed to be turned in, and not judged, and receives no score.

Rules sometimes as written can be confusing. To simplify, and repeating what was posted above "you can take away, but not add" and the product should not be preseasoned or marinated by the packer.

How do we get this out of the rule.
The key is what is heighted above.
In the first paragraph "competition meat" is mentioned, but not defined.
In the second paragraph "competition meat" is defined.

Competition meats are further defined under each category of meat.

I have a KCBS Rules question…apologies in advance if this has been addressed before….

I have competed for several years and always assumed I could not brine/season/inject/whatever until AFTER the meat inspection. I re-read the rules and I’m not sure that’s true. Rule 7 states (bold and underline are mine):

All competition meats shall be inspected by the KCBS-APPROVED Meat Inspector during the times established by the contest organizer but not prior to the day before judging. Once the competition meat has been inspected, it shall not leave the contest site. Cooking shall not begin until the competition meat has been inspected by the Official Meat Inspector.

So, my question is: What does “start out raw*” mean? Raw when I procure it? Raw until I get to the contest? Or, raw until it’s inspected. Like I said, I’ve always assumed I couldn’t alter it until after it was inspected, but since the rules state “cooking” shall not begin until after inspection, rather than “cooking and/or seasoning cannot begin until…” it made me wonder. There are plenty of times I’d like to start injecting before the meat inspector gets around to me…..especially at large contests.

Thoughts? Am I just picking nits?

Thanks!

*I also assume raw means, not seasoned, not brined, not injected, etc..

The advantages of being a KCBS member, is you can go to the KCBS site and look under downloads(Resources) for specific answers to any questions.....They have a download for meat inspections(which will answer your question) and also a download for rep advisory. The Rep advisory is very helpful way to interpret the rules.

Back