THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

They better post the meeting on the download page. If they allowed some non-board members to listen and not other then that is BS. It isn't up on the site yet but I will keep checking.

They better post the meeting on the download page. If they allowed some non-board members to listen and not other then that is BS. It isn't up on the site yet but I will keep checking.

I am hopeful there is a explanation that does not involve underhanded activities
A high level of accountability is what can keep the processes honest
Just got to have access to do so
There is a question for candidates

Should meetings be open to any member interested in listening?

Where are people getting that you can't talk about the board meeting? The form says you won't reproduce the meeting. It doesn't say anywhere you won't talk about it. :roll:

OK I just read what I signed and you're right.

The BBBQS stuff was in Executive Session.

They spent a whole lot of time discussing the TOY thing and best I could tell there wasn't a resolution last night.

The International discussion was started but there seemed to be a violation of the rules maybe based on the insufficient agenda and a member speaking out of turn and it was all tabled. I have no clue what they planned to discuss and neither did most of the BOD members from what I could tell.

I am hopeful there is a explanation that does not involve underhanded activities
A high level of accountability is what can keep the processes honest
Just got to have access to do so
There is a question for candidates

Should meetings be open to any member interested in listening?

Yes, either at no cost or whatever is required to cover the cost without generating any revenue. Made available in the member section of the KCBS web site.

OK I just read what I signed and you're right.

The BBBQS stuff was in Executive Session.

They spent a whole lot of time discussing the TOY thing and best I could tell there wasn't a resolution last night.

The International discussion was started but there seemed to be a violation of the rules maybe based on the insufficient agenda and a member speaking out of turn and it was all tabled. I have no clue what they planned to discuss and neither did most of the BOD members from what I could tell.

Soooo... it was a total waste of time, Ray? :crazy: Guess I didn't miss anything. Maybe I should thank Harwell. Why on earth would they make the BBBQS part of an executive session? Didn't they drag everything out in the open when they were hammering on NEBS?

Wow! Is all i can say. I will just have to wait for the cease and desist, that said, one of the board has proved on record that we have been dragged into this without all board members checking their facts first.

What a mess!

WOW...:shock:

Coming from a Canadian side of the house, we run our association independently and follow our own rules. We have a KCBS style events and use the name for the lack of a better term. We also run a Memphis style events for whole hog and expanding into shoulder this year.

It's a fine line about IP and I like the NFL reference. We have the CFL in Canada but not as near interesting.

We would like closer ties to the KCBS, sanctioned events, certifying judges and other cost just do not make it viable to have administrators run up from the US. We need to be able to administer our own region.

Hopefully when it comes out what the problem is then we can find a solution.

Who knows what the solution is, and we just a bunch of frozen Canucks up here, chipping the ice off the grills....

Mike

It's copyrighted material. There is no denying that.

Only as an physical art form in the method which it is laid out. In other words taking the KCBS rules sheet, striking their logo and putting your own on it is actionable under US copyright law. Writing your own set of rules incorporating the same procedures and methodology of a BBQ contest (6 separate and identifiable portions, turn in's on the half hour, turn in's at 12, 12:30 1 and 2; 6 judges, chicken / beef / pork descriptions etc) is legal.

To quote the US Copyright office.
Copyright does not protect the idea for a game, its name or title, or the method or methods for playing it. Nor does copyright protect any idea, system, method, device, or trademark material involved in developing, merchandising, or playing a game. Once a game has been made public, nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles. Copyright protects only the particular manner of an author’s expression in literary, artistic, or musical form.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

AND THAT RIGHT THERE IS A SLAM DUNK.

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I do believe that their scoring and more specifically their weighted scoring is copyrightable material.

I do believe that their scoring and more specifically their weighted scoring is copyrightable material.

The software code, yes. The methodology of scoring and the arithmetic, no. Remember that copyright protects only the particular manner of an author’s expression in literary, artistic, or musical form. You can't copyright a process such scoring.

Back