THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The simple way around the weighting system is to use a true math formula of 1 7th, 2 7th and 4 7th. Some one a long time ago screwed up on rounding, hence the numbers we use today. You would acheive the same results but it could be done simply as a formula and not having to use a specific number.

Only as an physical art form in the method which it is laid out. In other words taking the KCBS rules sheet, striking their logo and putting your own on it is actionable under US copyright law. Writing your own set of rules incorporating the same procedures and methodology of a BBQ contest (6 separate and identifiable portions, turn in's on the half hour, turn in's at 12, 12:30 1 and 2; 6 judges, chicken / beef / pork descriptions etc) is legal.

To quote the US Copyright office.

mental note...don't fark with this guy^^^^.

Is it possible the C&D is not about the scoring system used by BBS, but to the repeated references to it being derived from the KCBS system? That could be an infringement of the KCBS trademark...

Is it possible the C&D is not about the scoring system used by BBS, but to the repeated references to it being derived from the KCBS system? That could be an infringement of the KCBS trademark...

If it is, the 3 months work i have done with them in the lead up to this debacle negates that issue.

They are McDonalds, we are McDowels. They have the golden arches, we have the golden arcs.
Sorry. Could not resist.
I hope that this can be resolved with the use of at least some common courtesy and sense. To me it makes sense for KCBS to help the British BBQ Society and helping would be a courtesy.

ah, i see. i wouldn't have expected a violation like that going all the way to the BOD meeting. figured it was from another set of rules. maybe for BOD members or such.

IMHO, if you can cook 2 SEPARATE contests in 1 day, more power to you. the weight of rule #2 lies in the restriction of 1 head cook entering multiple teams in the SAME contest.

Exactly... RULES COMMITTEE... we have one! Rules committee takes all of the facts and asks questions then determines if a violation occured and forwards their report and recommendation to the board. The board then reviews the report and approves or rejects the suggestion from the committee. They don't debate whether it actually happened or other possible punishments. They approve or deny what's been given to them by the committee! Problem here is it takes some of the authority away from the board itself and I'm not sure some egos would allow that to happen.

It's no different than our local planning and zoning commission and park board in town hashing out details of a new business request or a park facility improvement - we iron out the details and send it to the city council to approve or deny. This is all so danged simple that it's frustrating to no end that things cannot be fixed with some simple work!

"But Jeff", you say, "things aren't in the by-laws that way. We can't do those kind of things!" CHANGE THE BY-LAWS!!! If it's a logical solution that could come from a vote to change by-laws that would improve processes, improve transparency or stop ridiculous "discussions" at meetings, I have complete confidence the membership would vote to make the change.

Exactly... RULES COMMITTEE... we have one! Rules committee takes all of the facts and asks questions then determines if a violation occured and forwards their report and recommendation to the board. The board then reviews the report and approves or rejects the suggestion from the committee. They don't debate whether it actually happened or other possible punishments. They approve or deny what's been given to them by the committee! Problem here is it takes some of the authority away from the board itself and I'm not sure some egos would allow that to happen.

It's no different than our local planning and zoning commission and park board in town hashing out details of a new business request or a park facility improvement - we iron out the details and send it to the city council to approve or deny. This is all so danged simple that it's frustrating to no end that things cannot be fixed with some simple work!

"But Jeff", you say, "things aren't in the by-laws that way. We can't do those kind of things!" CHANGE THE BY-LAWS!!! If it's a logical solution that could come from a vote to change by-laws that would improve processes, improve transparency or stop ridiculous "discussions" at meetings, I have complete confidence the membership would vote to make the change.
Jeff, your post couldn't have said it any better. When you use the committee correctly the entire process is most effective.
You are most likely used to the following Jeff:
Problem
Proposed solution
Committee review
Board Proposal
Public Comment
Committee recomendation
Board vote

This is fair, ethical, and practical and could be a model for KCBS. An agenda put out 48 hours prior to a meeting allows for very little review or input. I am not sure if there is any intention of keeping information buried but it sure isn't a good practice.

Jeff, you must understand, the membership cannot change any thing relating to the bylaws. That authority was given to the BOD by a vote of the membership several ages ago. WE, THE MEMBERS, HAVE NO RIGHTS!!!

The software code, yes. The methodology of scoring and the arithmetic, no. Remember that copyright protects only the particular manner of an author’s expression in literary, artistic, or musical form. You can't copyright a process such scoring.

I got bored one night and wrote an Excel worksheet that emulates the KCBS scoring system. Then I plugged in my scores from a recent comp to see if I got the same results (I did). I hope I do not get any letters in the mail.....:p

I got bored one night and wrote an Excel worksheet that emulates the KCBS scoring system. Then I plugged in my scores from a recent comp to see if I got the same results (I did). I hope I do not get any letters in the mail.....:p

You'll be fine as long as you don't tell anyone :-D

Jeff, you must understand, the membership cannot change any thing relating to the bylaws. That authority was given to the BOD by a vote of the membership several ages ago. WE, THE MEMBERS, HAVE NO RIGHTS!!!

I'm saying the Board should initiate a by-laws change to fix some of these issues. On a few issues, I've been told by board members "can't do this because it's in the by-laws that way". Well somebody wrote them and over the last 25 years, they've been updated and changed more than once. It's not the Ten Commandments carved in stone!

Shoot Jeff, this board even rejected adopting any form of parlimentary procedures, what makes us think that they would make by-law changes? I know last year at this time, several members on the board were trying to get by-law changes to give some of the power back to the membership at the annual meeting and that fizzled like a roman candle. the GOBN at work.

Its getting pretty dull waiting for this cease and desist, It takes 2 days to get the bullsheet, I guess they are making some effort with this one!

Shoot Jeff, this board even rejected adopting any form of parlimentary procedures, what makes us think that they would make by-law changes? I know last year at this time, several members on the board were trying to get by-law changes to give some of the power back to the membership at the annual meeting and that fizzled like a roman candle. the GOBN at work.

Maybe the don't use Parlimentary Procedures for fear of getting a C and D letter from the British. :-D

Benny

Back