THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TuscaloosaQ

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
My mom was very frugal and made the most of everything.... we had a few meals that were staples and that is what we ate all the time... she made homemade tomato gravy and meat balls when tomatoes were in season... always had a big garden..... so i decided to make me some mater gravy and meatballs last night,,,, very simple meal.....

got to have some plants first... right... we lost our big garden spot when we built our new shop... so now we just piddle.... this is outside my bedroom

hlSOijNh.jpg

8s29Nm4h.jpg

ydA1a4Mh.jpg

meatballs were made of ground sirloin... i assure you we did not have ground sirloin growing up.....peppers out of the little garden and onion......

HYm0dzph.jpg

tomatoes peeled and ready to go

gNwpXYxh.jpg

used the drippings to make the gravy... then added the tomatoes

t9AUoTTh.jpg

also made some fried eggplant from the Japanese eggplant out of the little garden area... We really love fried eggplant

297dushh.jpg

meat is looking good

bgY8zjeh.jpg

into the tomato gravy......

RzJoltih.jpg

plated up with some mashed taters.... cant believe we forgot to make cornbread..... but after the day in the shop.... i was hungry

very simple but very good... next time i post it will be off the smoker or grill

Q1gxFhfh.jpg

Wow! Tomato gravy is going on my to do list. Sounds good. I like fried eggplant also. That along with zucchini, green tomatos, cucumbers, okra and pickles.

Killing me...............

Great cook! :thumb:

My tomato plants are long, tall and sassy looking, loaded with a bunch of them......but they're still green. I'm hoping August brings me my tomatoes. I look forward to them every summer. :-D

Goodness gracious that looks delicious. I miss my granny so much. She was a guru with tomatoes, eggplant, and turnips. Your dish and little garden bring back great memories.

I only have one thing to say!!! Where is my plate? Gotta love some old time cooking. I just wish I had some of the recipes of what my mother used to come up with back when I was growing up. She never wrote any thing down but she came up with some great food for us. We also had a large garden and always had plenty of fresh vegies. Thanks for posting.

My mom was very frugal and made the most of everything.... we had a few meals that were staples and that is what we ate all the time... she made homemade tomato gravy and meat balls when tomatoes were in season... always had a big garden..... so i decided to make me some mater gravy and meatballs last night,,,, very simple meal.....

I had not heard of this before, but man that looks ridiculously good. Very nice cook!

Back