July 4th Weekend…. What’s the plan people?

I plan to cook a brisket or two and a couple slabs of ribs. Maybe. Been so busy lately I haven’t done any barbecue for awhile.

Something with heart. Literally. Bought a 1.5# beef heart today. Was going to get more #s but others were at different location. I was at a satellite shop. Local kill floor that dry ages 21 days. They also have beef cheek, tongue, kidney, liver at $3# on sale. Gonna get some cheeks too. That's if I can make it out in the country. This processor sent out an email they are going to begin shipping. The email said actual costs on shipping. Those having trouble finding good beef, offal parts, lamb, pork etc may be interested.

Just lost a member of my freezer family, so I will be cooking enough food for 30+ people even thought its only going to be 6 or 8 of us.

I had that in early May. Door popped itself open due to some unfortunate packing of the freezer. We took everything that started to mush and grilled/smoked that week. Anything on the door was trash, anything first toward the door on the shelf was cooked, the stuff in back stayed rock hard. Bought a wifi freezer alarm to avoid a repeat in the future.

I hosted a BIG cookout every year on the 4th for many years.It kinda dwindled out as we all got older and families moved on.Kinda sad time for me.Wife and daughter and grandson are heading to Florida for a vacation. Leaving on Saturday so I will be here bacheloring for the week.I will probably cook something on the grill or smoker but no idea what.

Agent orange finally got my uncle so burial will be Saturday and might smoke some ribs Sunday, Wont be in the mood to do much Saturday I'm afraid, I was uaware he had a bronze star along with a purple heart though, hate to find stuff out to late but he was never 1 to talk about Vietnam

Anymore any weekend is a long weekend for me. That is an awesome kitchen Sako. It will just be Kay and me. Most likely Burgers and/or Dogs and baked beans

Saturday we're doing something with my wife's family. We just realized that at least one of the hosts is vegan and maybe anti-gluten as well. I would say I got tricked, but my wife isn't happy about it either! :p

Probably hit up a burger joint on the way home! :wink:

Bringing the WSM down to the new lake house and firing it up all weekend with the wife, kid, grandparents, and SIL. Got some baby backs, chicken legs, burgers, & tri tip on the menu! Smoke true.

I'll be flying the flag while drinking some beers and blowing $ome $tuff up.

Hmm...I should probably fit some cooking and eating into this plan, shouldn't I.

Sounds similar to my plans. :-D

I'll be having the annual Independence Day Snowball Fight.

7BDFDh9.jpg

Target practice with the Henry 45-70..

ecoCuvR.jpg

Diving competition in the pool... :laugh:

Hopefully, have some bacon, onion, garlic cheesy pull bread and BBQ shrimp..

3NFXDQY.jpg

Forgot about the pool tournament in the shop. lol

1NJ1iZQ.jpg

Have a safe weekend and Independence Day Brethren!

Last edited:
I had that in early May. Door popped itself open due to some unfortunate packing of the freezer. We took everything that started to mush and grilled/smoked that week. Anything on the door was trash, anything first toward the door on the shelf was cooked, the stuff in back stayed rock hard. Bought a wifi freezer alarm to avoid a repeat in the future.

This was a spare fridge with a pretty decent size top freezer. The funny thing is i had a 40lb case of boneless chicken thighs in the fridge section thawing out and had lowered the temp from 5 to 3 because it was probing 32F and i knew it was going to take forever to thaw out. When i went to check it 2 days later it probed 42F, I turned it back to 5 and the next day it probed 46F. So i checked the freezer and all the stuff on the doors were thawed and a huge 15lb prime brisket was starting to get to the point i could slightly indent my finger into the partially frozen muscle. Thats when i knew it was going. I really should invest in temp alarms since i have $1000's worth of meat and seafood in them.

btw, the chicken thighs were still partially frozen so i didn't lose them. Really the only food i lost in the freezer section was what was on the door and that was just a few boxes of breaded fish sticks.

Last edited:
FWIW I thawed a bunch of meat from my deep freezer inside my spare refrigerator/beer/meat fridge and the freezer in that fridge began to thaw. I assumed it did that because of the thermal mass of the frozen meat resulted in the refrigerator not kicking on as often, which obviously would normally cool the freezer at the same time. Since it ran less often, the freezer got chilled less often, and it began to thaw. Once that meat in the fridge thawed the freezer returned to operating normally. It could be that your freezer is fine and your 40lbs of chicken thighs just made it run less frequently.

sudsandswine, you are probably correct, I work on them for a living and folks have issues in the winter in unheated spaces, the very cold meat would affect it the same way

Got 30 lbs of pork shoulder and a couple slabs of beef plate ribs going on. Can’t wait!

Well, since I didn't get invited to Jeanie's place, leaving in the AM for a week of camping. Ish.
Little campground in a little town next to the river.
Steaks, brats, burgers, wings.
Lotta grilling, Blackstoning, some fishing, some adult beverages.
Basically, kick back, watch the river roll by and relax.

Back