THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exactly! My chicken looks awesome but probably tastes just as crappy as yours. Now if I only I could get it to taste good......

Didn't you use the "best BBQ sauce ever" again this year?:biggrin: I like the chicken, OC. Maybe a little more color, though.

I'd give it an 8.

As others have said, your skin and trim could be a little better. I also don't like to see greens on top of the meat. Ditch the parsley sprigs in the middle.

7 is generous.

top 2 pieces need to be squared off

skin is shriveling up, needs to be tighter.

I'd give it a solid 8..

Only things I don't like about it is that the skin appears to be rubbery by looks. A little rib more rub on top would also make it a bit more appealing.

As a judge I don't care about the trimmings, but as a cook, a little bit more trimming could be helpful to push the score up for some judges

I'd give it a 7. Nice looking box but I think IMO the skin would have to look more appealing to get a higher score.

the one thing I tell everyone is to make the meat be the focal point not anything else. I don't want parsley or lettuce to catch my eye when looking at a box. I want the meat to stand out and the garnish to just be a backdrop that doen't draw attention.
IMHO.

I'm generally not one to judge others boxes. I do read/look over the "judge me threads" to get ideas from others. I think you're headed in the right direction. I recommend starting the chicken cook skin side down for the first 45 min. This will darken your skin a bit. Then flip to complete the cook. Once the chicken reaches desired doneness, sauce and let rest for a few minutes BEFORE assembling your presentation box.

I think Sled should teach a one day class on 13th place chicken!:eek:

We should keep a list of Brethren who placed 13th in chicken. I did in Monmouth Country, NJ this summer. Sled in Sayville. Poobah at the Royal.

Back