Judge and Critique this box

Exactly! My chicken looks awesome but probably tastes just as crappy as yours. Now if I only I could get it to taste good......

Didn't you use the "best BBQ sauce ever" again this year?:biggrin: I like the chicken, OC. Maybe a little more color, though.

I'd give it an 8.

As others have said, your skin and trim could be a little better. I also don't like to see greens on top of the meat. Ditch the parsley sprigs in the middle.

7 is generous.

top 2 pieces need to be squared off

skin is shriveling up, needs to be tighter.

I'd give it a solid 8..

Only things I don't like about it is that the skin appears to be rubbery by looks. A little rib more rub on top would also make it a bit more appealing.

As a judge I don't care about the trimmings, but as a cook, a little bit more trimming could be helpful to push the score up for some judges

I'd give it a 7. Nice looking box but I think IMO the skin would have to look more appealing to get a higher score.

I'd say strong 7 maybe 8. Those are some big thighs, I think trimming them down some would bring it up to 8 maybe 9.

the one thing I tell everyone is to make the meat be the focal point not anything else. I don't want parsley or lettuce to catch my eye when looking at a box. I want the meat to stand out and the garnish to just be a backdrop that doen't draw attention.
IMHO.

I'm generally not one to judge others boxes. I do read/look over the "judge me threads" to get ideas from others. I think you're headed in the right direction. I recommend starting the chicken cook skin side down for the first 45 min. This will darken your skin a bit. Then flip to complete the cook. Once the chicken reaches desired doneness, sauce and let rest for a few minutes BEFORE assembling your presentation box.

I think Sled should teach a one day class on 13th place chicken!:eek:

We should keep a list of Brethren who placed 13th in chicken. I did in Monmouth Country, NJ this summer. Sled in Sayville. Poobah at the Royal.

Back