THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cedricherron

Found some matches.
Has anyone ever heard of Johnson Custom Smokers in Ennis, TX? I ran across a pit for sale on eBay, so I asked if they did custom pits and they do. I didn't know what I really wanted, but Chad helped me figure out what would work best for me. I have to admit I loved my 24 foot trailer so much I bought 2 more pits from them and I'll have number 4 early next year. Chad Johnson was great to work with and I recommend them to anyone looking to purchase a new pit to buy it from them.

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/

Attachments

• IMG_2830.jpg
    IMG_2830.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 916
  • IMG_2832.jpg
    IMG_2832.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 912
  • Pit_Full.jpg
    Pit_Full.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 914
Hello Fellow GP resident!

I ran across their site a few time, but never pursued anything because the prices seemed a bit high for an (to me) unknown builder. I never could really find any reviews on them, so it's nice to see someone who has one and likes them!

YOu may have to invite me over one weekend to check them out :wink:

Hello Fellow GP resident!

I ran across their site a few time, but never pursued anything because the prices seemed a bit high for an (to me) unknown builder. I never could really find any reviews on them, so it's nice to see someone who has one and likes them!

YOu may have to invite me over one weekend to check them out :wink:
I went down to their shop in Ennis and saw the operation for myself, I also bought one of their T-Pit smokers to use at home and a 48"x48" upright smoker, they're great. I actually use the T-Pit every weekend and it will hold about 20 briskets at once.

I was looking at their T-Pits and verticals and was so close to pulling the trigger on one, but I decided to start playing with a Gravity Smoker and went with a Deep South. Johnson offers a lot of quality in their pits, IMHO! Mac

8xq6OgD.jpg

I saw them several years ago and like there vertical smoker cabinets. They look very good!

I went down to their shop in Ennis and saw the operation for myself, I also bought one of their T-Pit smokers to use at home and a 48"x48" upright smoker, they're great. I actually use the T-Pit every weekend and it will hold about 20 briskets at once.

I took a trip to see Chad in February of last year, after several back and forth emails over the summer of '15. I was dead set on the vertical 48x48. Chad told me that if I could make a trip around the first of the year out to the shop, he should have a 48 x 48 being finished up and ready to be picked up, that I would be available to look at. So, I made the 800+ mile trip to Ennis, Texas. Seeing that 48 x 48 in person, was like looking at a tank! It was/is MASSIVE! I chatted with Chad for about 20 minutes about the smoker and then I headed back home with the thought of...."I'm going to get it"!
Unfortunately....I got wind of Shirley Fabrication a month later....and 6 months later, I was in their shop looking at Paul and Tyler's handy-work. Driving home I 'knew' it was game over. Hopefully by the end of the month I will to have mine.

(I still want Chad's 48 x 48 :wink: )

Last edited:
Great looking pits . Almost pulled trigger last year but I don’t like round fireboxes. Otherwise , nothing but good feedback. SmoothBoarBBQ should be coming around soon

Haha. Usual suspects in Johnson Smokers threads. I really can't help myself as I had such a positive experience working with Chad and I am in love with his cookers.

I've had the Ultimate Chargrill Trailer since April and it's a fantastic piece of equipment. I'm using it for my catering / vending business and it performs beautifully. I'm looking at doing my first whole hog on it here once it cools down in temperature a bit and I'll make a thread when I do so. Can't suggest Johnson Smokers enough as it's a great product at a very reasonable price.

Count me in as another happy customer. As the OP indicated, you don't hear as much about them as other builders, but they're worth a look. I have the 2D patio and am very pleased with how it cooks, how it holds up and what I got for the money. Also it was a very easy and stress free purchase process. Some up front discussion on what I wanted and then a few months wait for the build. Best part was that Chad arranged the shipping to NJ, in hindsight this was a much bigger benefit than I realized at the time.

Sorry about the lighting.....22728902_10214292145755773_4677354411523373547_n.jpg
The standard cooker has 5 racks, but this customer ordered an extra 3 racks to make this a dedicated rib cooker.
(I think I have a few more pics on my work computer....will try to post 'em in the morning)

Last edited:
Back