THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team meeting last night, looks like we will be heading out Tuesday night a 7pm. Will be stopping in St. Louis and head the rest of the way in the morning. Hoping to be there around 2 or 3 on Wed.

We are hoping to leave @ 4pm and will be staying Mt. Vernon IL. Shane - we can give you a heads up for any bad construction, accidents, extra police, etc. ;0)

Here we go......

Here i come tooo :bow:!!!!! Squeal ON U BBQ, we will be there wed am, sounds like i/we should do the "mary bobo "thing to...:laugh:

We'll be headed eastbound on I-40 after work Thursday for an all-nighter. If anyone knows of any bad road destruction on 40, I'd appreciate a heads up!

Arlin

MAN am I excited... So many people to meet, so much atmosphere to absorb... Will be booking Maby bobo's on Sunday, anyone else? Will pick up our RV in Nashville Thursday morning so we can stay on site and breathe in as much of that holler air as we can for the weekend...
Is there really a cook's tour of the distillery Friday morning? do they send info about that in the packet?
I think last year there was a place (not the hardware store??) where you could order a custom-burned Jack barrel lid with your team name on it. True?

this is an email received today. contact this young lady and she will help. there was also an attaced pdf with prices fpt t's ect.
mack

Attached is the order form for BBQ items. The only item that does not have price listed is the BBQ poster. I think it will be about the same price as last year. Are you wanting the barrel head with the lasered BBQ logo, or the lasered Jack Daniel logo or the branded Jack Daniel logo?

Lisa Matlock
Assistant Store Supervisor
Jack Daniel's Hardware Store
160 Craig St
Lynchburg, Tn 37352
931-759-6302

What about the kids selling JD T-shirts that support the High School activities? Will they be around??

Not that I have a problem with it, but I must have had a dozen people this weekend warn me about the local law enforcement really cracking down on folks "red cuppin' it" last year at the Jack! I never noticed it in 2008 when I was there, I know its a dry county, but maybe some first-timers could use a "heads up"?

Howz about a blue cuppin? :thumb:

Not that I have a problem with it, but I must have had a dozen people this weekend warn me about the local law enforcement really cracking down on folks "red cuppin' it" last year at the Jack! I never noticed it in 2008 when I was there, I know its a dry county, but maybe some first-timers could use a "heads up"?

Discretion is the greater part of valor. :becky:

Last edited:

I think you can actually by beer in Moore County, and consumption on private land is always legal. Story I heard was that last year was the first year that JD didn't subsidize the police force for the extra work policing the event, so they took it out on the patrons. I never got hassled, but I saw others, even those on teams. Def be careful unless you hear otherwise.

dmp

If you don't rub the police in the face with whatever you are drinking... You won't have any problems... I wouldn't leave empty beer cans., bottles (even Jack) laying around... Honestly, I wouldn't use red cups. i'd use the one's that are provided int he goody bag or buy one of the Jack plastic cups from the hardware store. They also have supplied the head cooks with a nice metal mug...

All I can say is be cool. You won't have a problem.

I went down as a spectator last year, here's kind of what I recall:

Thursday night various teams were huddling under canopies and EZ ups. At that point law enforcement was pretty cool asking us to keep the drinking concelled (in cups, behind canopy walls, etc) But warned us if they saw any open bottles they would issue tickets.

Friday (during the day) I was touring the town so I don't know what the atmosphere in the park was. Come parade time, law enforcement was checking every cup as it left the park. Not sure if they asked those with alcoholic beverage to dump or issued tickets. Note - don't have an alcoholic beverage in hand during the parade of teams. (Second note - at the end of the parade you will get on bus to take you to team dinner, so take a bag/clothing for when the sun goes down)

Fri night in the park after dinner - I was lit, so I don't remember. But I did hear stories of some people getting ticketed.

Saturday in the park is very busy with lots and lots of people - again I heard of others getting tickets but others who got warnings.

All in all, I think it had to do with the attitude of the individual and the law official as if they were going to give a ticket or a warning.

I think the best bet is to keep the open containers within a team area rather than walking around. Keep it in a cup and stay well mannered.

I think you can actually by beer in Moore County, and consumption on private land is always legal. Story I heard was that last year was the first year that JD didn't subsidize the police force for the extra work policing the event, so they took it out on the patrons. I never got hassled, but I saw others, even those on teams. Def be careful unless you hear otherwise.

dmp

I've been warned about this every year, but this past year they were VERY strict. Saw a member of a team almost get arrested and they were smelling contents of peoples cups.

I think last year there was a place (not the hardware store??) where you could order a custom-burned Jack barrel lid with your team name on it. True?

Last year we got our barrelhead and then took it here: http://lynchburgreclaimedlumberco.com/ You'll find then down the stairs next to the Iron Kettle restaurant on the square, just a couple doors down from the hardware store. I had my laptop with me, emailed them a jpg of our team logo, and they engraved it perfectly onto the barrelhead -- it turned out awesome. We also got some barrel staves personalized that way for gifts.

DegaQ the following weekend ... 3.5 hours down the road ... :rolleyes::sick::doh::drama::confused::mmph: :wacko: :twitch::loco::help::decision::puke:

Last year we got our barrelhead and then took it here: http://lynchburgreclaimedlumberco.com/ You'll find then down the stairs next to the Iron Kettle restaurant on the square, just a couple doors down from the hardware store. I had my laptop with me, emailed them a jpg of our team logo, and they engraved it perfectly onto the barrelhead -- it turned out awesome. We also got some barrel staves personalized that way for gifts.

I'm curious which barrelhead product it was you bought to have this done. I got a sheet from the general store with a bunch of different items on it and can't figure out which one would work best.

If you don't rub the police in the face with whatever you are drinking... You won't have any problems... I wouldn't leave empty beer cans., bottles (even Jack) laying around... Honestly, I wouldn't use red cups. i'd use the one's that are provided int he goody bag or buy one of the Jack plastic cups from the hardware store. They also have supplied the head cooks with a nice metal mug...

All I can say is be cool. You won't have a problem.

As a Police Officer I can tell y'all this: the attitude of the guy (or gal) you are dealing with dictates how I respond to open container/public drunk type situations. Be cool, don't be blatant about your boozin', and if asked to do something (like dump your beer), cooperate. It will save you tons of hassle and generally get you a warning. Red cups are a dead give-a-way to beer. So use anything other than that. As a disclaimer, I've never been down to the Jack and don't know what the local Police Officers are like. This is General advice from a yankee...

How much was it and what was the turnaround time???

Back