Is This Clown for Real?

I guess I don’t understand why you would get this worked up about it. This is the video guy’s experience and opinion. No big deal. It should not inform your decisions in. Any way.

Of course, it is on the internet so it has to be true.

I'm not worked up about it. But I am questioning how anyone could claim that a Gateway Drum Smoker could be inferior to a Pit Barrel Cooker in multiple head-to-head competitions of classic KCBS meats (brisket and pork butt).

Equal? OK, I can buy that. I have a PBC, and really like the quality of meat it produces.

But this guy claims that in his head-to-head comparisons between a Gateway Drum Smoker and a PBC, the PBC (for brisket and pork butt) produces noticeably better meat in terms of tenderness, juciness, and smoke flavor, all other cooking factors being even.

And he's no backyard amateur. He's an experienced cook.

No way. And again, I love my PBC.

Last edited:
You should ask him directly, he is the only one that can answer your question. Thumbing through the videos he seems to come across as a dude just sharing his findings with the interwebs. Personal preference, afterall, is exactly that. You could always buy or borrow a Gateway and make your own head to head videos if so inclined :thumb:

I've seen this guys videos and he seems genuinely impressed with the PBC vs. the Gateway.

But as someone else mentioned earlier in this thread, he was using a 55-gallon Gateway versus a 30-gallon PBC. That's a big volume difference, which would certainly mean a big difference in internal humidity as well (from vaporized fat drippings). Considering that the same (small) amount of meat was used in each cooker, the PBC would have been much more humid. And maybe that accounted for the difference in juciness he noted.

Load the 55-gallon gateway down with a huge brisket and a couple butts and it would have been very humid in there as well.

I want a Gateway myself, but after thinking about this thread, maybe I'll opt for the 30-gallon over the 55. And get the 55 later for doing really large cooks.

Back