Is This Clown for Real?

JackBBQ

Got Wood.
I have a Pit Barrel Cooker and love it. It produces great food. But I'm also very interested in owning a Gateway Drum Smoker. And in doing some reading on the GDS, I ran across a guy (Smokin' Joe's Pit BBQ) on Youtube who claims that the ribs and pork butt produced on the PBC are noticeably more tender, juicy, and have more smoke flavor than those produced by the GDS.

He's posted two Youtube videos of head-to-head competitions between the PBC and GDS - one a ribs cook, and the other a pork butt cook. And his "conclusion" was that the PBC produced better food in these competitions than did the GDS (more tender, juicier, with better smoke flavor).

I can't believe that. Is he a clown just plugging for the PBC company?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s1Z5mKvfUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja8vG0w7Eac&t=248s

Last edited:
The PBC produces a different flavor due to the dripping fat and juices on the charcoal without a deflector.

Any drum with a deflector will taste different than one without.

Which one is better? Personal opinion.

The PBC produces a different flavor due to the dripping fat and juices on the charcoal without a deflector.

Any drum with a deflector will taste different than one without.

Which one is better? Personal opinion.

He wasn't using a deflector in the GDS. And he claimed that tenderness, juciness, and smoke flavor were better in the PBC.

Again, I love the PBC. But I call BS on his conclusions. Sounds like he was being paid in some form or fashion to promote the PBC.

He does appear to have a serious demeanor in those videos. I would not assume he is doing a joke.

I don't think he's joking either.

But when he claims that two relatively similar (in design) barrel cookers, with fat dripping over direct coals, produce noticeably different meat in terms of tenderness, juciness, and smoke flavor, I've gotta call BS.

I may very well be wrong. But I call BS.

He's done alot of vids on both smokers and seemed to like them both.
As for as the vids you were looking at, I can see where there might be a difference in the end result of the meat.
First off he's cooking on 2 different size smokers.

PBC(30gal) and the GDS(55gal)
Each has a totally different type of intake and exhaust which could produce a different cooking environment in each smoker.
Plus the interior size also plays into that using a deflector, and cooking at 325° on the GDS

I would like to see him do a comparison with both in the 30 gal size being used. Which both are made in that size.

I have seen people say that they saw a difference in the end product when using a 18.5 WSW and using a 22.5 WSW.
I don't know but maybe the size or the other differences do make a difference.

Last edited:
Just a couple of thoughts below...

He's posted two Youtube videos of head-to-head competitions between the PBC and GDS - one a ribs cook, and the other a pork butt cook. And his "conclusion" was that the PBC produced better food in these competitions than did the GDS (more tender, juicier, with better smoke flavor).

I can't believe that. Is he a clown just plugging for the PBC company?

Again, I love the PBC. But I call BS on his conclusions. Sounds like he was being paid in some form or fashion to promote the PBC.

You don’t have to agree with his conclusions. He is just expressing his opinion after using both products. That really doesn’t warrant calling him a clown and calling his opinion BS.

I have a PBC and Hunsaker drums and both are great cookers, but both put out different food due to the design. For me, the PBC does a better job on hanging half chickens and the Hunsaker does a better job on butts and briskets. I would call ribs a tie. Ribs from both are great, but different.

He's done alot of vids on both smokers and seemed to like them both.
As for as the vids you were looking at, I can see where there might be a difference in the end result of the meat.
First off he's cooking on 2 different size smokers.

PBC(30gal) and the GDS(55gal)
Each has a totally different type of intake and exhaust which could produce a different cooking environment in each smoker.
Plus the interior size also plays into that using a deflector, and cooking at 325° on the GDS

I would like to see him do a comparison with both in the 30 gal size being used. Which both are made in that size.

I have seen people say that they saw a difference in the end product when using a 18.5 WSW and using a 22.5 WSW.
I don't know but maybe the size or the other differences do make a difference.

Yep! That was my first thought. Different size and different air flow will produce different results.

I had a Sunday School teacher tell me one time,"you have to be confident enough in your own beliefs to listen patiently to the beliefs of others"

Just keep scrolling. Those of us who have owned or currently own a PBC understand.

If you watch the videos he seems generally surprised he prefers the flavor of the PBC. I have a PBC, Hunsaker, WSM - both sizes, and a UDS and they all taste slightly different. The PBC for me has a stronger smoke/grilled flavor and for my taste I prefer the smoke to be milder. They are all the same concept but the flavor is different.

I agree with much of the above in that the chamber size and airflow differences could contribute to differing results.

I have done many cooks direct/hanging (no pan) in both my 22.5 and 18.5 WSM's and get different results. The 22.5 does better for wings due to the higher achievable temps and increased airflow. The 18.5 does better for hanging ribs due to the smaller chamber and more consistent lower temps without the pan.

If what he said was true, the competition circuit would be populated with Pit Barrel Cookers, instead of 55 gallon Gateways.

As I said above, I love my PBC. Wouldn't trade it for anything. But I don't believe it produces food that is noticeably jucier, more tender, and with better smoke flavor than a Gateway. Again, if that were true, the competition circuit would be populated with PBCs. And as a KCBS judge who loves walking around and seeing the various smokers used at the contests I judge, I haven't seen that.

OK, I shouldn't have called the guy a clown. I apologize for that. But I think (respectfully) that he's completely wrong in his assessment, even if he honestly meant it.

Last edited:
I love my PBC. I want a Gateway.... With two BGE's, a PK grill, a LSG vertical offset, a Weber with SlowNSear and a PBC, I think the Boss Lady would shoot me at dawn if a Gateway showed up. But, I still want a Gateway. :-D

I don't think he's joking either.

But when he claims that two relatively similar (in design) barrel cookers, with fat dripping over direct coals, produce noticeably different meat in terms of tenderness, juciness, and smoke flavor, I've gotta call BS.

I may very well be wrong. But I call BS.

I'm going with what ^ said.

Maybe to him it was better. There are so many variables in bbq it's hard to say one way or the other. If 10 people came out with the same results and opinions I'd say it might have merit. One guy using two different size cookers..I'd probably pass it off as nothing more than his opinion. I'm sure you could easily find someone else that has a video with the complete opposite results. Welcome to the internet where everyone is an expert and has access to an audience 24/7.

Opinions are like adze-holes.
Everything has one, but what is coming out varies.

You can probably tell that I don't care.... :wink:
Certainly not enough to get excited about it.

I had a Sunday School teacher tell me one time,"you have to be confident enough in your own beliefs to listen patiently to the beliefs of others"

Just keep scrolling. Those of us who have owned or currently own a PBC understand.

I don’t have a PBC and never will, but these are words to live by...

I guess I don’t understand why you would get this worked up about it. This is the video guy’s experience and opinion. No big deal. It should not inform your decisions in. Any way.

Of course, it is on the internet so it has to be true.

Back