THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

willkat98 said:
G$,

You ever come up to Chicago, give me and/or Ronelle a shout out.

We'll do a beef-a-thon. We got like 25 ways to skin a cat, when it comes to beefers
Chicken sit on fence, go MEOW.:biggrin:

Bigdog said:
Chicken sit on fence, go MEOW.:biggrin:

Ah yes, my borther donst quote me good.

But, now that you mention it,

After the beef-a-thon, we'll hit Chicago's China Town. We have some gems here. Not that American Chinese crap you get from Chan's Wok Around The World, I mean the authentic stuff.

I have a list of 5 -10 Chinese and Asian (mostly Thai) places that I have the menu trascribed into english. They only have the Chinese/Thai/Vietnamese version in the restaurant. They don't know a word of english in some of these places.

Its 360* from what we think Chinese or Asian Food is. I still need to hit more of these places.

I want to think we have an equivalent to the back streets of Mott Street in New York, but I've never been there to compare.

willkat98 said:
Ah yes, my borther donst quote me good.

But, now that you mention it,

After the beef-a-thon, we'll hit Chicago's China Town. We have some gems here. Not that American Chinese crap you get from Chan's Wok Around The World, I mean the authentic stuff.

I have a list of 5 -10 Chinese and Asian (mostly Thai) places that I have the menu trascribed into english. They only have the Chinese/Thai/Vietnamese version in the restaurant. They don't know a word of english in some of these places.

Its 360* from what we think Chinese or Asian Food is. I still need to hit more of these places.

I want to think we have an equivalent to the back streets of Mott Street in New York, but I've never been there to compare.
I'm in bro. Maybe this summer if all goes well.:cool:

Realy perverting this thread here, about 20 years ago I learned to cook "Asian" style from a coworker from Viet Nam, who now operates a restaurant in town. The only problem with eating there is I spend all the time there back in the kitchen drinking his home brew and sampling the entre's.

My Italian Beef came out pretty good. There are a couple of things that I would change, but not too much. Here's the recipe...

Injection:

1 Cup beef stock
Salt and pepper to taste
Dash Cayenne Pepper
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1/4 teaspoon Fresh Marjoram
1/2 teaspoon Fresh Parsley
1/2 teaspoon Fresh Basil
1 teaspoon Fresh Oregano
1/4 teaspoon Fresh Thyme
Dash Worcestershire Sauce

Rough chop all of the fresh herbs. Combine all ingredients and bring to a simmer. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Strain out solids and cool

Beef:

Inject the beef roast with the injection above. Let it sit for at least 24 hours in the refrigerator. (I didn't let it marinate long enough. I only let it sit a couple of hours)

The next day (or more), let the roast come to room temp. Rub liberally with kosher salt, pepper and garlic powder. Roast at 225 - 250 until desired internal temp is reached. I took mine to 135. Wrap tightly and refrigerate, preferably overnight. Once refrigerated, slice beef extremely thin, preferably with an electric slicer. (I didn't slice it thin enough).

Au Jus:

6-7 cups of beef stock
Salt and pepper to taste
1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper (to taste)
3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon Fresh Marjoram
2 teaspoon Fresh Parsley
1 teaspoon Fresh Basil
4 teaspoon Fresh Oregano
1 teaspoon Fresh Thyme
3 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
4 green Bell Peppers, seeded and sliced

Rough chop the herbs. Combine all ingredients except the bell pepper and bring to a simmer. Simmer at least 10 minutes to release the flavor from the herbs. Strain out the solids and adjust seasoning. Add the sliced bell peppers and simmer until the peppers are soft. Add the sliced beef and heat through. Do not over cook the beef or it will get tough.

Serve the beef on Italian or French bread or rolls with plenty of Au Jus and peppers. Hot peppers (Giardiniere (spelling?), typically). You can also cover in mozzarella cheese and stick it under the broiler to melt and brown the cheese.

Here's some pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_0876.JPG
    IMG_0876.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0881.JPG
    IMG_0881.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0883.JPG
    IMG_0883.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 173
Jorge said:
Neil and Ron, thanks for sharing. I'll try both methods within the next month!

Went to the store to try Neil's version and forgot the shrooms. Then Ronnel comes back with another version. Don't have the fresh herbs, but got em in dry form and just cooked up the injection. As soon as it cools, will inject and let sit for a day or two.

Thanks Neil and Ron

I've used dried herbs before, too, and it comes out fine. You just have to adjust the amounts to compensate. Dried herbs take up less room than fresh.

Ron_L said:
I've used dried herbs before, too, and it comes out fine. You just have to adjust the amounts to compensate. Dried herbs take up less room than fresh.

Got ya Polish Prince, dried herbs are pretty strong. Did adjust for that. Gonna shoot him up now.

Been a while since I've made this. Sage is a must, fresh if you can. Sorry I cannot be more specific but my mother never used recipies and I learned from just watching.

Neil said:
Been a while since I've made this. Sage is a must, fresh if you can. Sorry I cannot be more specific but my mother never used recipies and I learned from just watching.

Sounds like the "recipes" I have from my grand mothers. Just a list of ingredients. When they were still living and I would ask them how much, the response was I don't know. Whatever feels right." :roll:

Thanks for the recipes! I will have to try it. Only problem is trying to get decent bread here in S Texas. They don't know what Italian bread is it seems.

ggeilman said:
Thanks for the recipes! I will have to try it. Only problem is trying to get decent bread here in S Texas. They don't know what Italian bread is it seems.

Whole Foods and Central Market are probably your best bets....Sun Harvest as a last resort.

ggeilman said:
They don't know what Italian bread is it seems.

Send me your address and I'll overnight some. Ya want from Cuccio's (Ask the boys at the bash) or from Vito's?

willkat98 said:
G$,

You ever come up to Chicago, give me and/or Ronelle a shout out.

We'll do a beef-a-thon. We got like 25 ways to skin a cat, when it comes to beefers

I'd love it. Down here, there actually are a few transplanted Chicagoans that have opened beef joints. "Luke's Italian Beef" is a great one, their product looks alot like those you have posted above.

It took me longer than a month to get around to this. I tried the Ron_L version to start. I'll be slicing sometime later tonight, but did carve a couple of small pieces off before putting it into the beer fridge to chill.

OUTSTANDING!! Working late tonight to bang out some more code so I see a snack or two in the near future. Thanks Ron!

Looking forward to trying Neil's version soon as well!

Got a 5 pound sirloin tip injected with Ronnell's recipe tonight. I have made this one before, and the results are outstanding. I'm experimenting with the foodsaver vaccusuck method to see if the vacuum environment does speed up the marinade time. Did everything the same as the recipe (used dried herbs since fresh are not available to me at this time of the year). The last time I made this I let it sit in the refrigerator for 2 days. I am going to try one day this time. I will post the results.

Ron_L's original post:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=219722&postcount=47

This is just a bit freaky, Kevin... We had Italian Beef sammies for dinner tonight from beef and gravy that I made a coupl eof months ago and had in the freezer.

Do-do-do-do do-do-do-do (twilight zone music)

Back