THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too much info?

Absolutely not Ron, always great to learn something. Saw one of the Chicago Beef places on a PBS Special about sanwich shops across the nation. Stuff looked pretty tasty to me.

So does your prime rib, awesome color. That outer ring is about some of the best eating there is bar nothin'. Great job and nice pics.

Ron_L said:
My plan was to turn the cooker temp down when the meat hit 135. With carry over, it would be medium inside and the end cus would be medium well for my wife.

Ron,

I've had better luck with a pit temp of 250° and pulling standing rib roasts off at 120° - 125° internal and into a cooler for 1 hour. During that time I ramp up the cooker and do an end sear (or do it in the oven @ 500°) which takes less than 10 minutes. If anyone's slice is too rare, the cooker is nice and hot, so I give their slice about 1 minute on each side.

A juicy picture of a prime rib is on my site.

Ron_L said:
I think its a Chicago thing... It's beef cooked with italian seasonings (garlic, parsley, oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme), sliced thin, and then heated back up in an au jus made from beef stock seasoned with the same type of seasonings. Its then served on an italian or french roll with either hot peppers or sweet peppers cooked in the beef stock mixture. Sometimes you'll see it covered in mozzerella. Around here you can order it four ways; Dry (no juice, just the beef and the roll), Regular (beef and a little of the juide), dipped (they dip the roll in the juice for a couple of seconds) and drowned (where they make the sammie and then hold it under in the juice unil the bubbles stop.

Just like anything else, there is a debate in Chicago as to who has thde best beef sammies. The Portillo's chain do a great job and are very consistent. There is a new chain called Buona Beef that is very good, but Al's Beef Shop is still the winner in most surveys.

Too much info?

Got a recipe to share? I know enough to know that I like them hot, sweet, and wet. Not to mention it's another reason to get the slicer out.:mrgreen:

Jorge said:
Got a recipe to share? I know enough to know that I like them hot, sweet, and wet. Not to mention it's another reason to get the slicer out.:mrgreen:
Don't forget the different kinds of giardinere (sp) to put on there

BeefaThonVChickie3.jpg

I smoked a dozen chickens. I just let the fire die out about 9pm and let the smoker turn into a refrigerator via the outside temperature

In the morning, I put all the chickens in a heavy duty trash bag and beat the $hit out of them with a baseball bat. Kind of like a meat piniata. Makes it easy to seperate out the bones for "pulled" chicken. Then I reheat the pulled meat in a Q sauce.

thirdeye said:
Ron,

I've had better luck with a pit temp of 250° and pulling standing rib roasts off at 120° - 125° internal and into a cooler for 1 hour. During that time I ramp up the cooker and do an end sear (or do it in the oven @ 500°) which takes less than 10 minutes. If anyone's slice is too rare, the cooker is nice and hot, so I give their slice about 1 minute on each side.

A juicy picture of a prime rib is on my site.

Thanks, thirdeye. Mine normally come out perfectly medium rare. i just over shot it this time because i trusted the remote thermometer too much! With the Cookshack, I lower the cooker temp to 150 and hold it in there since the cooker is such a moist environment. The original method was posted on the CS forums by the ownser of Cookshack, and I've played with it a little, but not much. I've found that the holding time in the cooker gives the flavors a chance to develop and the result is a great prime rib.

Here's a picture of what my prime rib normally looks like (when I don't mess up with the internal temps!)

Attachments

• IMG_0679.jpg
    IMG_0679.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 135
Ron_L said:
I think its a Chicago thing... It's beef cooked with italian seasonings (garlic, parsley, oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme), sliced thin, and then heated back up in an au jus made from beef stock seasoned with the same type of seasonings. Its then served on an italian or french roll with either hot peppers or sweet peppers cooked in the beef stock mixture. Sometimes you'll see it covered in mozzerella. Around here you can order it four ways; Dry (no juice, just the beef and the roll), Regular (beef and a little of the juide), dipped (they dip the roll in the juice for a couple of seconds) and drowned (where they make the sammie and then hold it under in the juice unil the bubbles stop.

Just like anything else, there is a debate in Chicago as to who has thde best beef sammies. The Portillo's chain do a great job and are very consistent. There is a new chain called Buona Beef that is very good, but Al's Beef Shop is still the winner in most surveys.

Too much info?

Let's not forget about Dear Franks in Deerfield. They have some of the best on the north Shore. Just wish they shipped.:sad:

Here's how my mother taught me to make Italian Beef:

Puncture the roast (Bottom Round, Top Round, Sirloin Tip, your choice) with a paring knife and shove garlic cloves throughout. Salt and pepper all over then sear all sides in butter and olive oil. Remove from pan and sautee' onions and mushrooms. Place browned roast back in the pot. Add a glass of chianti, some chopped up pepperoccini's or japs then cover and turn down the heat to a low simmer. It's done when it's done. Let cool then slice very thin and place back in the juices and heat back up. Serve on good hard crust Italian bread rolls.

Forgot to mention, I usually let the roast sit in the fridge for a day or two before slicing. As with the Q, low and slow is key to making a cheap cut tender and juicey when making Italian Beef.

Neil said:

Puncture the roast (Bottom Round, Top Round, Sirloin Tip, your choice) with a paring knife and shove garlic cloves throughout. Salt and pepper all over then sear all sides in butter and olive oil. Remove from pan and sautee' onions and mushrooms. Place browned roast back in the pot. Add a glass of chianti, some chopped up pepperoccini's or japs then cover and turn down the heat to a low simmer. It's done when it's done. Let cool then slice very thin and place back in the juices and heat back up. Serve on good hard crust Italian bread rolls.
Damn that sounds good Neil. Your mother must have been a good cook.

Ron_L said:
and some of Brauma's home made garlic powder. I'm going to let it cook the same way as the rib roast and then wrap it and stick it in the refrigerator over night. Then I'll slice it real thin and make up some au jus with the same ingredients as the injection plus some sliced green pappers and make sammies!

Pictures to follow...

Alright!! Theres my man. How'd that garlic rub work out Ron? Could you taste it in the final result?

That recipe does sound good, Niel!

Jorge, Once I see how mine tastes tonight I'll post the recipe.

Mark, I haven't tasted the italian beef with the garlic in it, but I've used both the regular and the smoked on other things and they taste great!

Greg, I've never tried Dear Franks. I have to go up that way next monday. Maybe I'll stop there for lunch.

Thanks!

Neil said:

Think I gained about 2 lbs. just reading that!

Back