THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBQ_Bird

Found some matches.
I've seen several threads about resting briskets that are all over the place and not really answering my specific questions. So here goes:

I only do a few competitions a year, but have had up and down results with my brisket. I've got a pit that cooks really strange, and long story short, forces me to cook hot and fast. Typically pulling a 12lb prime at around 6-8 hours for a couple hour rest. I wrap in butcher paper about 165-175, and pull at close to probe tender, or until I have about 1.5 hours left before turn in to allow rest. From there I just throw it in a cooler with the lid cracked and not sealed shut. My thought there being it might keep cooking if I close it all the way.

So questions are:

Will I get a better rest and in turn more tender brisket if I wrap the butcher paper wrapper brisket in a towel? Or is is ok in just the butcher paper?

A question I've seen asked 1.5 million times, but I'll ask anyways, What temp is ideal to start slicing for turn in?

Is it absolutely necessary to fill dead space in the cooler? Will I get better results if I throw a pillow or a bunch of towels over the brisket?

Finally, Close the cooler completely during the rest, or leave it cracked?

I'm grateful for the 3rd-7th place briskets I've been getting, but ready to crack the top 2 and feel like you guys have the answers that can help me out. Thanks in advance.

If you're getting 3rd and 7th place finishes, sounds like whatever your doing is working. I take mine from the pit and put iit right in the cambro with the door closed to rest for usually 2-2.5 hours. I'll open the door to check the heat in the cambro from time to time to make sure it's not too warm. Comes out how i want the tenderness. If I didn't have a cambro, I'd wrap in a towel and close the cooler lid. Whenever I've vented after the cook and not put it right in the cambro, it's just not been there come turn in. So, I like to retain as much of the residual heat as possible after the cook. I don't know the temp of brisket before slicing because I don't temp it then.

If you're getting 3rd to 7th place briskets don't change a thing! You'll get the 1st or 2nd place eventually. Many contests are won with 3rd to 7th place briskets

Yea sounds like you doing fine placing wise. Other than that why are you not just cooking til probe tender and then resting.

The more you fill your cooler with towels or whatever, the more insulation you are providing and the longer your brisket will stay hot. If you don't vent before resting/holding then you run the risk of overcooking your brisket. For your cooking timeline, I would say you are holding it just right.. that's about what I would do. Brisket needs time to cool down. I don't put a probe in it.. I may lose the juices and it would be something else to monitor or fuss over.. for me anyways lol. Is this IBCA?

I've cooked in both IBCA and LSBS, and mostly unsanctioned cookoffs based off of the 2. Mainly for fun and something quick and easy to do with the family, don't get too serious about it. Honestly feel I've gotten lucky placing where I have, as my briskets just don't have that perfect pull test. I think It has something to do with my slicing as well. Just recently learned about the 90 degree slicing against the grain

Remember in LSBS and IBCA the judges can't touch your turn-ins, they use a really cheap plastic fork and knife, so if they can sample your slices with relative ease you should be ok. But of course your slices shouldn't be falling apart either.

I've cooked in both IBCA and LSBS, and mostly unsanctioned cookoffs based off of the 2. Mainly for fun and something quick and easy to do with the family, don't get too serious about it. Honestly feel I've gotten lucky placing where I have, as my briskets just don't have that perfect pull test. I think It has something to do with my slicing as well. Just recently learned about the 90 degree slicing against the grain

A slice, cooked to KCBS standards is going to be under cooked in IBCA. You want the slice to be able to make it into the box, but there shouldn't be much if any tug for a slice to break.

If you're worried about over cooking in a cooler, then don't put it in the cooler until the temp plateaus. Wait till you see a temp drop...then immediately put it in a CLOSED cooler...wrapped in blankets, of course. If it's cooling, it's not cooking (so to speak).

In TX, judges are NOT trained, they are just mom & pop and sometimes a kid wanting a taste.

The best advice on IBCA and other TX groups is "You Don't Need No Teeth To Eat My Beef!" Just get in the box and make sure it has enough smoke to cause a belch.

It's a different story for KCBS, and then the pull test will be in play as Jorge indicated.

I usually wrap in butcher paper at 165 and pull at 195-198 (for KCBS) and 205-210 (for IBCS) and place in a closed cambro. This is usually good for both. There are so many factors that can change cooking conditions that the rest time can be anywhere from 5 hours to "get it off the pit and slice or we miss the window." It may have something to do with adult beverages!! :p

I actually heard from someone that HnF cooked brisket is best without any rest? Any truth to this?

Last time we rested ours less than an hour foiled on the counter and the tenderness was way better than ever before. Previously we've pulled earlier and rested in a cambro after venting.

I actually heard from someone that HnF cooked brisket is best without any rest? Any truth to this?

Last time we rested ours less than an hour foiled on the counter and the tenderness was way better than ever before. Previously we've pulled earlier and rested in a cambro after venting.

What you are describing is what I have seen as well. I cook hot and fast and my best brisket scores always seem to happen when I allow the brisket to rest about 30 minutes before turn ins.

I have one "perfect perfect" 180 in brisket - it came off the cooker at 1:15, onto the cutting board and into the box. (Was low and slow...too slow :becky: )

Last couple of contests, I've left the thermometer probe in the meat while it was in the cambro. If you have any concerns, I recommend doing this in your situation.

Psst -- the temp continuing to go up is a myth!

you mean the cambro didnt overcook my brisket? It was perfect when I put it in there.

/s

Back