THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

musicmanj

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Jay
Hi Brethren-

I had one of "those" briskets on Sunday. The thing took a few hours longer then expected to finish, and I ended up having to reduce the rest time. Thankfully it was just for the family.

But that got me thinking....

Instead of cooking a single 15-16lb brisket, why not cook 2 - 9lb briskets instead? That way they finish quicker, and I can slice, vacuum bag, and freeze the extra one for weeknight meals.

Now I have a fuzzy recollection of reading there is an "ideal" weight of a brisket. One that both the flat and point are equally done at the same time. Is there an ideal weight of a brisket (pre-trimmed)?

I usually try to find a 15-16 pound brisket. This allows me to put on the smoker at 6, cooking at 275, and finishing up around 4pm. That gives me 2-3 hours of rest time.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

15lb is the ideal brisket size most of the times; a 9 pounder or less would likely end up on the drier side before getting enough smoke (~6 hours)

I look for the thickest flat and the most bend. Otherwise I don't concern myself with weight. I think 12 lb is about the smallest packer I've seen anyhow.

I prefer minimum 12lbs and maximum 18lbs. Considering it gets reduced in size after trimming/cooking and depending how many people eating that's my ideal range.

You can make them all come out great. For a decade or so I only cooked 15+. Now I cook for a much smaller group and prefer 10 pounds or less. They are never dry. Bend test will only tell you if you'll have a lot of fat to trim between the point and flat or not. Size doesn't always guarantee a predetermined cook time. When I used to cook 10+ briskets there always seemed to be 1 or 2 that would take an extra couple hours. Half the time they were the smaller ones. Heck... I've seen jasonTQ cook a 30 pounder quicker than I can cook a 15 pounder. I like a really, really long hold. Planning for a 2 hour rest is playing with fire. :heh:

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

6lb point only when not hacked up by the butcher at heb or Randall’s.

Most any brisket I've done under 10 or 11 lbs doesn't turn out as well. Anything over 18 is really hard to get in my WSM.

Sometimes I'll separate the point and the flat before cooking to help myself out. But I haven't decided if that's a good idea or not.

I would think it is more of a cooking temp for the different weights.
small weight hotter cook.

bigger #s need less heat so the outside doesn't burn/dry before the inside gets to temp.

Back