THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
jeanie
Deer season is coming up soon for me and I'm in need of an easy finger food meal idea. I'm looking for one or two things that will make a whole meal.

Last year we made calf fries (mountain oysters) http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148972

Beef cheek tacos worked well too.... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121852

We've cooked underground and cinderblock pigs, venison legs, the usual pulled pork, ribs and briskets.

I'm looking for different ideas, something fairly easy.....food that doesn't require a plate. We do the cooking in my old shop. This is a VERY relaxed group of friends. lol

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Forgot to mention...this will be for 8 to 15 people

Last edited:
Thin sliced duck breast, stuff with cream cheese, cheddar, jalapeno, roll up, wrap in bacon and grill. You can make them with large breast as will just slice into smaller pieces and hand out tooth picks.

Thin sliced duck breast, stuff with cream cheese, cheddar, jalapeno, roll up, wrap in bacon and grill. You can make them with large breast as will just slice into smaller pieces and hand out tooth picks.

Cirk that sounds great! There will be 8 to 15 people here. Not sure if I can find enough duck breasts but I will keep that in mind. Thanks so much, they sound tasty!!

Turkey legs?
That's a great idea too! I could smoke them in advance. Thank you!!

Throw a large suckling on an open pit, and stand around grabbing pieces of meat and sopping up juices with bread.
Thank you Billy!! I don't have a pig that small on hand right now but know where I could get a 50lber.

A simple smoked ham goes a long ways.
Thanks for the suggestion Sawbones! Friends will be here for about 5 days, I usually smoke a ham on the first day so we can have ham sandwiches for lunches later when hunting.

When you said finger food I immediately thought of these. Not sure how large yer group is, but lamb could get pricey - but for standing around munching on something, these are awesome. The recipe is fairly simple, and could be made as simple as you want it. If you want details, give a holler, but I'm sure you know what to do! :cool:

Short ribs would be a good thing - but those can get pricey too.

Or sausage, bread and mustard - good to go! :thumb:

Deer season is coming up soon for me and I'm in need of an easy finger food meal idea. I'm looking for one or two things that will make a whole meal.

Last year we made calf fries (mountain oysters) http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148972

Beef cheek tacos worked well too.... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121852

We've cooked underground and cinderblock pigs, venison legs, the usual pulled pork, ribs and briskets.

I'm looking for different ideas, something fairly easy.....food that doesn't require a plate. We do the cooking in my old shop. This is a VERY relaxed group of friends. lol

Thanks for any suggestions!!
Beer & Peanuts:bow:
Sometimes I just can't help it:icon_blush:
What about mini Empinadas stuffed with Picadillo or ??, Fish Tacos, Sliders, Good old Bacon wrapped Drum sticks.

Or maybe cook a goat on a spit? Y'all can stand around with tortillas, pull off hunks and make tacos right there.

When you said finger food I immediately thought of these. Not sure how large yer group is, but lamb could get pricey - but for standing around munching on something, these are awesome. The recipe is fairly simple, and could be made as simple as you want it. If you want details, give a holler, but I'm sure you know what to do! :cool:

Short ribs would be a good thing - but those can get pricey too.

Or sausage, bread and mustard - good to go! :thumb:

Dang those lamb chops look good Greg! I'll keep those in mind.

I have short ribs on hand... and could make some sausages and brats. :cool:
Thanks so much for the ideas!

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Beer & Peanuts:bow:
Sometimes I just can't help it:icon_blush:
What about mini Empinadas stuffed with Picadillo or ??, Fish Tacos, Sliders, Good old Bacon wrapped Drum sticks.

Great ideas Bludawg! Thanks!!

Or maybe cook a goat on a spit? Y'all can stand around with tortillas, pull off hunks and make tacos right there.
That's something everyone would love. Thanks again Greg!

I appreciate all of the ideas, Thanks again friends!

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Skewered meat of all kinds. We have been doing a lot of this of late, using long metal skewers, you just shove chunks of meat into the fire. Provide bottles of marinade or sauce for those that want to add more flavor. We do a lot of chicken this way, but strips of beef, chunks of lamb, even meatballs...

What about "walking tacos"? less work than assembling tortillas and such, and you can do whatever your meat of choice is on the fire.

Plus, no dishes required.

I like Frito's best, but a lot of people like Doritos too.

Bob those sound tasty and easy! Thanks so much! I will see what I can find as far as skewers go.

Dan, I have some scrapple made and ready, you're reading my mind. :becky: Thanks!!

What about "walking tacos"? less work than assembling tortillas and such, and you can do whatever your meat of choice is on the fire.

Plus, no dishes required.

I like Frito's best, but a lot of people like Doritos too.

Sslak, I'm not familiar with "walking tacos"... would it be the same as nachos? Thanks for the idea!

As an appetizer (what? you guys don't serve appetizers at camp?)...Bacon wrapped mushrooms are really tasty.

lol We eat and drink 24/7 at camp. I need some fingerfood or "plateless" meal ideas. I'm lazy! :laugh::laugh:
Bacon wrapped shrooms sound great!!
Thanks Bob.. :thumb:

I've been doing a lot of kabab at tailgates lately. They work really well as you can have the meat pre-skewered and marinated, use basically any meat you want (including ground formed around the skewers), pre-made tzatziki (or just sour cream or whatever), and some tuperware of chopped tomato, onion, or whatever, and get pitas or (I prefer) pre-made flatbread from the grocery. No plates, only a few tuperwares and plastic spoons. Load that (lightly grilled) flatbread up and still have one free hand for your beer.

Also, break out some of that canned smoked salmon you have! That looks awesome. A little cream cheese, capers, onion, on a bagel. Boom, outa here!

Walking Tacos is a bag of Fritos, which you open the top and pour chili and fixin's in the bag. I don't know what is wrong with people who use Doritos. You use the small to medium size bag, it works really quite well.

With Fritos.

Back