I can't stand being told what "Real BBQ" is...

Low and slow it was. Smoked it with lump charcoal with a nice mix of oak and hickory wood. Kept the temps around 250-275 degrees. Yes, the guy is a pure jack-ass at it purist definition. He's a relative on my wife's side of the family. It's not that the jack-ass said that it was he said it while eating THREE SAMMICHES!!! Good night alive!!! :rolleyes:

Well there may be some hope yet. At least he is smart enough not to offer his criticism on an empty stomach.

If he had done that, then he would be a dumb arse jack-ass!

Sounds like the dude is just jealous of you BBQ skills. The only thing he can do about it is complain. Fark him. Q on!

I'm kinda a BBQ purist myself, getting back to the creation of BBQ. Texas cattle drives
with beef was 80+ years AFTER it was created/invented on sugar cane plantations
in SC and GA, by slaves. They used pork; they weren't given beef... Even in my
competition rub, I use spices that they had available to them way back then (before TX
was a brain-fart), and they're CREOLE based (getting ALL they way back). Low n slow,
rubbed with creole spices. But, that's me. Ok, on my rub for NEW-Q (Texas Brisket)
I use more what they had available on cattle drives and it isn't creole spice based
with much more black pepper... nouveau-Q, circa 1720 :)

Your jack-ass-in-law is mis-informed. That's as real a BBQ as anything else. May
not be his personal stated preference, but it seems that he actually prefers FREE
food, BBQ or not...

To add to that, If he wanted to hit some "real" Q, you'd prolly have to forego the cooker altogether... I don't recall those slaves on the plantations or the cattlemen having anything but an open camp fire to cook over.
Next time you should make some "real" Q just for him. I'm thinkin' a duraflame presto log campfire with some wet cardboard "chips" for smoke... Hell, get him a bag of matchlight for Xmas too!! =)

I figure that as long as you're having fun, challenging yourself to try new things and forever striving to improve you're grub, you're doing it right.

BTW - Are there any pics of these fabled sammies?? :biggrin:

That's what makes this so disturbing. The dude has never smoked meat on a smoker in his life. He's done pork butts in crock pots and ovens but never on a charcoal/wood burning unit.

WHAT!!?!?!?!
Oh man, I was being nice before, but forget this guy! too bad you married in to him. Your wife being related to this guy, that is grounds for divorce. I know a good BBQ divorce lawyer if you need one.

Tell him to put some $$$ where is mouth is. You and he each cook some (assuming the dude can cook, which he probably can't) and let the family decide in a blind test which is the best Q.

What usually happens?

Some idiots like him think they know what Q is, but they can't make it.

If someone wants to criticize me, they need to be better at it than me :D

A side note:

This guy writes of the origins of BBQ itself and definitions:

Another casualty of American television is the confusion over just what barbeque is. Hints to its true nature, however, can sometimes be found in the use of the word "barbeque" in the language. It has become popular to say that barbeque is a noun and not a verb. Well, barbeque is, most properly, used as a noun that refers to a specific thing but sometimes it can also be used as a transitive verb.

Unfortunately, most Americans who live outside of the South in general and North and South Carolina in particular, use it as a verb or, if they use it as a noun, use it incorrectly. Midwesterners or Yankees will say to friends, "I'm going to barbeque some hamburgers tonight." Or they will say, "Let's put some brats on the barbeque and break out some beer." And while everyone will be having a great time sitting around in the smoke, the use of the word in that way is incorrect. That neighbor is going to grill some hamburgers, not barbeque them. The cooker he is going to cook them on should be called a grill, not a barbeque.

The second proper use of the word, the transitive verb usage, can sometimes be seen in such usage as the term "barbequed chicken" or "barbequed beef." It is common to barbeque various meats with beef and chicken being probably the most usual but real barbeque can including lamb, turkey, goat and even possum and other exotic creatures. But those animals are termed "barbequed (insert the name of the animal)" where the term "barbequed" in that usage is a transitive verb describing the way the animal was cooked, low and slow.

The incorrect use of the term barbeque on television, in movies and in magazines which is, more often than not, written or spoken by people who know nothing about real barbeque, has led to the misconception, for instance, that beef is barbeque. It's not. Don't forget, barbeque is more specifically a noun, a specific thing, and that specific thing is pork, not beef or fish, or beaver, or shrimp or anything else. It's quite possible to barbeque beef; tens of thousands of people out west do it all the time. And it's oftentimes delicious. But it's "barbequed beef" not barbeque. The term barbeque is always properly reserved for pork.

Indeed, it was the Spanish who first introduced the pig into the Americas and to the American Indians. The Indians, in turn, introduced the Spanish to the concept of true slow cooking with smoke. So, in that first fateful coming together, way back in the 1500s, the Spanish supplied the pig and the Indians showed them how to cook it. That is when authentic barbeque was first eaten.

The first true colony in the Americas, by the way, was in South Carolina. The very first Spanish adventurers that one reads about in the history books were actually Conquistadores, bent on gold and conquest, not on colonizing. The Spanish colonists, who came only slightly later but still in the early 1500s, came to South Carolina and they named their colony Santa Elena. It was established in the area that we now call Port Royal in Beaufort County. That colony lasted almost 20 years and it boasted a fort with several cannons, a church, a bakery, blacksmith foundry and shop, a pottery kiln and nearly 500 colonists including over 100 families. It was in that first American colony that the white man first learned to prepare and to eat real barbeque. So, people were eating barbeque in South Carolina even before that name had been applied to the area by the English.

If one wants to experience all four of America's styles of barbeque there is only one state in the nation where that can be done - South Carolina. The true barbeque aficionado can not say that he has completed his barbeque quest without a visit to South Carolina where the art of barbeque was invented and where it is still practiced in both its purest tradition and its most diverse styles.

So, y'all come to South Carolina and eat barbeque with the people who know the most about it and have the longest history of preparing it. There is a great culinary adventure waiting in store for you in South Carolina.

---------------------------

Ok, he's a SC purist, and it definitely *started* in SC. The plantations spanned NC,
SC, and GA. Slaves usually weren't permitted to eat beef and often only got the
scraps (low on the hog) pork. Fatty and stringy, the meat needed to be cooked low
n slow to render the fats and make the meat tender. BBQ, while taught to the
Spaniards by the native American indians, was introduced into our culture by creole
slaves on plantations, notably sugar cane plantations...

It don't get more REAL than that. Send that boy to MickyD's for a riblet thing.

Three things that start more arguments than anything else.

1.Religion
2.Politics
3. BBQ

OK..now having stated that..BBQ is what "you" want it to be.
Heck some of your more famous BBQ joints smoke their meat for a little bit and then steam it. Or worse some steam their ribs and throw them on the grill for a couple of mins.

My father-n-law thinks chili's has the best baby back ribs in the world. He loves them because "the meat just falls of the bones"..!

I like baby backs OK but I love spares. I love to smoke them till they are done. Still toothy and not fall of the bone. I do them with a very basic rub..salt pepper...garlic powder. I make my own sauce and put it on the side to dip the ribs in.

Now my wife loves them with my spiced up rub...with paprika..brown sugar..etc and no sauce..

To each is own but like I tell my father-n-law ..You don't like the way I make BBQ then do it yourself and put the plate down!..That usually shuts him up!

Personally I'm only going to hold someone accountable for "real bbq" by two standards. Is it relatively low heat and is it cooked over charcoal and/or wood fire. Outside of that do what you do. Getting into how something is seasoned ("wet" or "dry") is just different methods of flavoring bbq.

Three things that start more arguments than anything else.

1.Religion
2.Politics
3. BBQ

OK..now having stated that..BBQ is what "you" want it to be.
Heck some of your more famous BBQ joints smoke their meat for a little bit and then steam it. Or worse some steam their ribs and throw them on the grill for a couple of mins.

My father-n-law thinks chili's has the best baby back ribs in the world. He loves them because "the meat just falls of the bones"..!

I like baby backs OK but I love spares. I love to smoke them till they are done. Still toothy and not fall of the bone. I do them with a very basic rub..salt pepper...garlic powder. I make my own sauce and put it on the side to dip the ribs in.

Now my wife loves them with my spiced up rub...with paprika..brown sugar..etc and no sauce..

To each is own but like I tell my father-n-law ..You don't like the way I make BBQ then do it yourself and put the plate down!..That usually shuts him up!

Iceman, I agree with you, but...:

> Heck some of your more famous BBQ joints smoke their meat for a little bit and then steam it. Or worse some steam their ribs and throw them on the grill for a couple of mins.

Just because someone calls something BBQ doesn't make it so. In your
case above, that's grilling and steaming, not BBQing...

> My father-n-law thinks chili's has the best baby back ribs in the world. He loves them because "the meat just falls of the bones"..!

Great baby-back ribs can be made/cooked many different ways. Doesn't
make it BBQ, unless it's cooked low n slow. I too love fall-off-the-bone
ribs, and sounds like I'll have to head to chili's to try theirs. Doesn't
mean I'm eating BBQ though. Just ribs.

Yeah, I had my brother in law do some ribs in the oven, Seasoned the hell out of them and as we were eating he said "These are just as good as cooked on a smoker." I never said a word because he'd never had any ribs I'd smoked. About four months later we had a bbq at the house and I went and bought two slabs of ribs just for the event. I normally just do pork butt for things like this because of the price. But on this occasion I wanted him to taste ribs from a smoker. We sat down to eat and it didn't take ten minutes and the dude had gone back and gotten more ribs and eventually asked how I got that kind of flavor in the ribs and why his didn't taste like that. There's cooking ribs and then there's bbq'n ribs.

Doesn't mean I'm eating BBQ though. Just ribs.

I don't have a problem with using a mop on pork butts... In fact, I normally mop mine with a very thin vinegar/mustard mix for the first 5 hours...

Yeah, I had my brother in law do some ribs in the oven, Seasoned the hell out of them and as we were eating he said "These are just as good as cooked on a smoker." I never said a word because he'd never had any ribs I'd smoked. About four months later we had a bbq at the house and I went and bought two slabs of ribs just for the event. I normally just do pork butt for things like this because of the price. But on this occasion I wanted him to taste ribs from a smoker. We sat down to eat and it didn't take ten minutes and the dude had gone back and gotten more ribs and eventually asked how I got that kind of flavor in the ribs and why his didn't taste like that. There's cooking ribs and then there's bbq'n ribs.

If I can para-phrase this... There's cookin' and then there's bbq'n...

Jeff, those look really good. You know, though, if you'd do a good job cooking the meat, you wouldn't have to drown it in sauce :) (ducking mod) / Love ya, bro!
See, we even get it from our own.... (Dan I told you this statement would come back to haunt you....)

In Dan's behalf he was joking about burnt ends in another thread...

Iceman, I agree with you, but...:

> Heck some of your more famous BBQ joints smoke their meat for a little bit and then steam it. Or worse some steam their ribs and throw them on the grill for a couple of mins.

Just because someone calls something BBQ doesn't make it so. In your
case above, that's grilling and steaming, not BBQing...

> My father-n-law thinks chili's has the best baby back ribs in the world. He loves them because "the meat just falls of the bones"..!

Great baby-back ribs can be made/cooked many different ways. Doesn't
make it BBQ, unless it's cooked low n slow. I too love fall-off-the-bone
ribs, and sounds like I'll have to head to chili's to try theirs. Doesn't
mean I'm eating BBQ though. Just ribs.

Kind of my point...I have traveled all over this great country of ours and have eaten at a lot of BBQ places..

For some strange reason I love the little hole in the wall places vs the big BBQ joints..

One thing is for sure...I don't care what sauce..or rub you put on a slap of meat..if it is low and slow I will pretty much eat it..

Heck I love smoked bologna!

I am wondering if BamaBuzzard and Willkat are related. Uncle Farkers Unite.

Back