THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PBrug

Full Fledged Farker
All,

I use Kingsford Comp. 90% of the time when grilling or smoking. I picked up 2 - 30lb bags of the Western Lump from WM, and opened the 1st bag today. Inside were some huge pieces, that I honestly have no idea what to do with. Not being a lump user, I am not sure how to use these big pieces. Do you break them up? If left whole, how long will it take these to light? Seemed like a little much for a few burgers, and I don't see myself putting them in the Assassin...

Any insight would be appreciated...

Thanks!

36176248_10213768859190502_7013780520349728768_n.jpg

Wow, if that's what's in bags of Western, I may have to pick up a few bags while they ae still on sale.

Yes, there were some big pieces, and the others pieces (at the top of the bag at least) were an OK size. I was happy with the burn as well. Great deal for 30lbs for about $10, so far...

I get pieces such as these frequently in bags of Wicked Good. Lay the bag on the ground, place the large pieces back in the bag and while holding the opening of the bag shut. whack the top side of the bag, over the too-large lump, with the side of a hammer, hatchet, brick, gas pipe.

This not only breaks up the lump, but contains it nicely in the bag.

Mesquite lump is notorious for having large pieces, and I like to burn the Larazzari brand in the 40# bags. I have a welders "chipping hammer", pointed on one end and a chisel end on the other... and that works great for cracking or breaking the bigger branches or chunks.

Everyone has already told you how to break these pieces up. As far as what to use them for, save them for a large butt or a brisket or any other large cook. You're blessed to have a couple of these large pieces. They will do wonders for a coal bed.

Or just use them as they are. Put one on top of the lit coals and it will burn for a while. If you close up your grill after you finish cooking, the fire will go out and you can use what's left of those monsters. I do it all the time. The next time you frill, put the remains in the bottom of the chimney starter and they catch fairly quickly.

Back