THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many santioned comps before your first GC?

• 1-2 sanctioned comps

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • 3-5 sanctioned comps

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • 6-10 sanctioned comps

Votes: 12 9.5%
  • 11-15 sanctioned comps

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • 16-20 sanctioned comps

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • 21-30 sanctioned comps

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • 30-40 sanctioned comps

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 41 or more sanctioned comps

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Still waiting, I've competed less than 10 times

Votes: 39 31.0%
  • Still waiting, I've competed 11-20 times

Votes: 26 20.6%
  • Still waiting, I've competed more than 21 times

Votes: 13 10.3%

• Total voters
So far we got:
21 people who earned a GC within their first 10 comps
16 who earned it from their 11-20th
5 who won in comps 21-30
0 between 31-40 and
3 with 41 plus comps

Something seems fishy. :fish2:
I really don't think this is a very scientific poll. I'm going to guess that teams that won early were happy to add their result and various teams that didn't may not have added to the poll. Nothing wrong with that, I just don't see this poll telling the whole story. I would have thought that those who won in their first 10 are the minority and the more first wins somewhere in the 16-30 marks or even higher.

I am glad to be in the Minority, aren't you?:-D Although I think you are right Bob, there might be a scientific reason the top 10 in most contests is heavy with Brethren.

I'm not necessarily in the minority - but that's why I started the thread. I asked because I thought since it was fairly early in the year and we've had a presence of new teams that it would provide the newer teams some background and support. Without publicly admitting it, I'd guess many of us that didn't hear our names called after the first comp or two wondered what we had to do in order to hear it.

Based on the results, it counts 123 members how have competed and voted. I think we still have many more members who compete. I guess we could count the team listing, but we know many of those teams don't check in on a regular basis.

I'm fairly sure that more than 46 brethren teams have won a sanction competition. I'm pretty sure I know of more than 3 teams who have mentioned they had a challenge getting their first.

Honestly, I'm amazed at the number of teams have a GC prior to 10 comps - that's incredible and a hell of an accomplishment. Major kudos to them. I also give kudos to the teams that went through the long haul with good results, but just didn't get the GC for one reason or another. Hell, I give kudos to nearly all teams for the fact that I believe over 75% of teams at any given comp produce better BBQ than anyone would get served at most BBQ restaurants. Living in the KC area and listening to people on a daily basis argue about which BBQ place is best - I think that's a compliment to all who compete.

Back