Herbes de Provence roti-bird

Now I know what I want for father's day. Great looking bird. How long did it take and did you have to add coals during the cook or does just one chimney do it?

Now I know what I want for father's day. Great looking bird. How long did it take and did you have to add coals during the cook or does just one chimney do it?

It took about an hour and 10 minutes, this chicken was probably 5lbs or so. One full charcoal chimney is enough to go a couple hours, generally.

Suds,

That is one awesome looking bird! I'm gonna give that rub a whirl. Thanks for posting!!

Greg

Looks just as good as the other thread! Saw that one too. Pretty sure I have the same roti basket and a cajun bandit spinner...will be trying this for the next time I do a bird! The only thing I have used the basket for before was chicken wings and that is probably my favorite way to do those so this makes sense.

OMFG Suds....I got my roti basket today...tried your recipe....if that aint the best chicken I have ever had...it is up there. I was worried the herbs would be overpowering...nope just a kiss.

I owe you a beer on that one.

OMFG Suds....I got my roti basket today...tried your recipe....if that aint the best chicken I have ever had...it is up there. I was worried the herbs would be overpowering...nope just a kiss.

To be fair, it’s not MY recipe, I found it in a book on rotisserie grilling probably 10 years ago. It is pretty delicious though, glad you liked it :thumb: I will claim the spatchcock roti-basket method as my own creation though. The seasoning comes from here though vvv

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1477539948

Last edited:

I love to read stuff like this,sharing:thumb:

Had to get one myself. Leg quarters were great last night.
Thanks for posting. Had not seen the basket, but have one now!

Last edited:
That looks awesome. Can you share details on which basket you are using with your Weber rotisserie? I gotta order one of those!

Yes, one full chimney spread between two baskets on opposing sides parallel to the spit rod. I usually run intake and exhaust around 80%. I have no thermometer on the grill I typically use the rotisserie on so I'm not exactly sure what the temp is...hot. I dial back intake and exhaust slightly for longevity of the coals mainly...they cook a bit quicker spatchcocked so running out of heat hasn't been an issue, though when doing whole birds there'd been times that the briqs were on their last legs as I was finishing up the cook.

This basket is good for more than chicken ...I did some country style ribs...now it's my go to method for them as well.

This is the one I have though if I were buying a basket now I'd probably get a stainless one so that there isn't a risk of the non-stick surface coming off (which hasn't happened to mine) but if you're spending the money, might as well. Maybe something like this https://www.amazon.com/only-fire-Rotisserie-Basket/dp/B07CDR3DJ4/

I noticed you also have a 22" weber rotisserie set up. When I measured the cross section of the rotisserie skewer it looks to be 1/4". That ss basket that you recommend looks to be for a 3/8" skewer. Any idea if that will be an issue? I am having a hard time finding a similar ss basket that is designed for a 1/4" skewer.

GREAT looking chicken, I will have to try that slather on my next chicken!!! Thanks for sharing!

Have the coated basket but got it here - way cheaper, even with shipping.

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...et/m24785/p-1444450211793-c-1461078035988.htm

I bought 2 so I have a spare. Not much of a problem with coating coming off but there is usually some food bits that need cleaning off when done. I usually let it sit in some soap and water for a couple hours, wipe off the bigger stuff and put it in the dishwasher. Works out pretty good. I'm on year 4 with the 1st one and the 2nd is still in the box!

Back