Fermented cocktail vegetables

MountainMan

Full Fledged Farker
I don't ferment for cocktail vegetables all the time but when I do this is my go to recipe for a half gallon ferment.

1 ½ large carrots
¾ bell pepper
4-5 radishes
¾ head cauliflower
½ onion
4 - 5 jalapenos (large) this controls the heat

1 clove garlic crushed (optional)

1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1/2 tablespoon coriander seeds
1/2 tablespoon mustard seeds
1 tablespoon dill
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
4 cups water
3 tablespoons salt

I ferment for about 5 days then refrigerate and enjoy....

4 cups water
3 tablespoons salt

I ferment for about 5 days then refrigerate and enjoy....

Does your fermentation begin pretty quickly??? I've used a little higher salt content in my brine and sometimes it takes longer for the magic to begin. I do try to add some starter brine from previous batches.

Does your fermentation begin pretty quickly??? I've used a little higher salt content in my brine and sometimes it takes longer for the magic to begin. I do try to add some starter brine from previous batches.

I usually see action in a day - day and a half depending on temperatures.

I use a slightly lower non-ionized salt concentration as I like crisper veggies.

It is definitely temperature related, the lower the temp the longer it takes. Ideal temp is the low 70's.

I have never done this.
Do you just combine ingredients in a jar on the counter or what?
What to look for in telling when to refrigerate?
How long will this keep in refrigerator?
Sorry about all the Qs,

I have never done this.
Do you just combine ingredients in a jar on the counter or what?
What to look for in telling when to refrigerate?
How long will this keep in refrigerator?
Sorry about all the Qs,

THIS THREAD is what got me started. Should help answer a lot. I can say it's been fun learning about the fermenting process.

While eating breakfast I did a quick google and realized my ignorance is really on display. It's kind of a big subject but looks interesting! Thanks for the link!

I usually see action in a day - day and a half depending on temperatures.

I use a slightly lower non-ionized salt concentration as I like crisper veggies.

Lowered the salt concentration on my latest batch.... fermentation started in less than 24 hours. :thumb:

Back