THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RockyTop84

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Greetings brethren: this is my first post. I normally do all my smoking on an Akorn Chargriller. I now have a new smoker I picked up to handle larger volume cooks. It is a wide body dyna glo offset vertical smoker. During my first seasoning I was able to get up to temp 270+, but after that I welded a metal plate at 45 degree angle in the pit right above the two holes to the firebox. I had read on some reviews this would help reduce the hotspot on the bottom rack. My first cook after weld job would not allow me to climb over 170 degrees I even connect my barbecue guru cyberQ for my Akorn and still could not get past 170. I was using Cowboy Lump and apple wood.

After a couple of frustrating hours I cracked the top of the smoker door, and the temp shot up to 280 degrees.

Does this mean with the baffle I have installed that the chimney is not sufficient enough to pull the heat? Do I need to enlarge chimney or add another one? I could remove the installed baffle but would like to solve without doing that. Any suggestions?

Thanks gentleman

Ok i have a buddy who bought that pit. I have helped him run it some. She's a fickle beast and chews through fuel. How are you fueling it? A combination of coals and wood works well. Sometimes you even have to crack the door. Instead of a baffle i would just put a water pan on the bottom grate or better in the bottom of the chamber. Honestly id recommend to just not use the bottom grate.

Frankly speaking this is not a great smoker. I could make 4 cinder blocks and a cardboard box into a more effective smoker than the dynaglo.

Good luck

Good Call

Ok i have a buddy who bought that pit. I have helped him run it some. She's a fickle beast and chews through fuel. How are you fueling it? A combination of coals and wood works well. Sometimes you even have to crack the door. Instead of a baffle i would just put a water pan on the bottom grate or better in the bottom of the chamber. Honestly id recommend to just not use the bottom grate.

Frankly speaking this is not a great smoker. I could make 4 cinder blocks and a cardboard box into a more effective smoker than the dynaglo.

Good luck

Cardboard... This made me smile! I went ahead and removed the baffle and enlarged the chimney hole by 2". Temp shot up to 250 and stayed there for two hours+.

Thanks man!

Back