THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I went from a WSM to a stick burner. Found out I didn't like tending the fire so often, so I was using the WSM more than the LSG. Sold the stick burner to Wookie and got the big insulated cabinet and I am in love with her.

BTW, I know I can put butts on the different grates on her without removing any. Why I have a hard time believing that there is that much difference between the grates on the Vertical Offset and the Cabinet.

I have the 24" x 24" LSG vertical offset. I have cooked many pork butts on this cooker and never had to remove any grates. But, the butts I have smoked were in the 9-10 lb range. Always had plenty of head room. A 15 lb'er? Maybe so.........but would rather cook two smaller ones if I am needing to feed more people.

I have the 24" x 24" LSG vertical offset. I have cooked many pork butts on this cooker and never had to remove any grates. But, the butts I have smoked were in the 9-10 lb range. Always had plenty of head room. A 15 lb'er? Maybe so.........but would rather cook two smaller ones if I am needing to feed more people.

What are your temp variances from bottom to top? How much fuel do you burn through cooking butts?

Never measured temperature differences from the bottom grate to the top one. I mainly cook on the three middle racks. At the beginning, I might have a 5 - 10 degree difference within this zone of grates. Over time, the difference will reduce but no doubt the top portion of the cooker will be hotter than the lower. Just like all offsets, you can use these differences for cooking different meats. The top grate on the left side is hot enough to cook chicken hot and fast while I cooking ribs on the middle grate at the same time.

The LSG is probably close to $3k. I guess I'm glad I got my SF when I did. I'm thinking you can squeeze a pretty good size butt in 5". 6" would be better but how often are you going to stuff all racks with butts? Fuel consumption on a stick burner is hard to gauge. Unless the fb is insulated one shouldn't use that much more fuel or at least not enough to worry about. I looked at both but with trailer models the SF was way less even with the 13 hour drive. Make a spreadsheet so you can see all the numbers side by side.

edit: another thing is the SF cook chamber is 3/8". if i am not mistaken they used to have an option to use an old propane tank for the cook chamber to save a few $$.

Last edited:
Saw a post earlier today that SF is out 9 months I believe LSG is still under 6 months if that makes a difference.

This is the response I got from Wookie:

8lb butts taller ones sometimes skim a very small amount on way in but easy to avoid if careful - should not be a deal breaker at all

He is on vacation right now or he might be able to provide more info.

Oh, and by the time I added all the bells and whistles, my Vertical Offset totaled out at just over $4K. That included SS table, 1/2" firebox, warmer, pretty much the works.

Nothing special. Just food down front shelf and a ball valve.

That makes a lot more sense. I was thinking loaded LSG vs loaded SF and I couldn't figure out how the SF could be almost $4k.:loco: it's hard to beat the cooking space on a vertical offset. You could raise the cabinet height in the cook chamber and add a 3rd rack but that just makes the SF more expensive. I'd be losing sleep making that decision too.

Well after racking my brain last night I feel the pros of the shirley outweigh the pros and cons of the LSG. In the long run its a lot of money either way but I'd rather do it right the first time. I think I'll have more versatility with the Shirley with the added cabinet than I would with the LSG. Plus I already have a vertical offset just not one as large or as thick as the LSG. Plus having this cooker will allow me to get rid of the GOSM cold smoker and potentially the battle box.

You can't go wrong either way Chris / Amber and Paul & crew are all amazing people and make great pits.

Well after racking my brain last night I feel the pros of the shirley outweigh the pros and cons of the LSG. In the long run its a lot of money either way but I'd rather do it right the first time. I think I'll have more versatility with the Shirley with the added cabinet than I would with the LSG. Plus I already have a vertical offset just not one as large or as thick as the LSG. Plus having this cooker will allow me to get rid of the GOSM cold smoker and potentially the battle box.

Sounds like you have given a lot of thought in your decision. I know you will be pleased. Now...pick up the phone and get in line! Happy cooking days are coming.

Back