THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buy a Prime brisket...

Separate the flat from the point...

Trim all hard fat from both flat and point...

Grind the flat, best burgers you ever had...

Smoke the point, cause smoked flat sux...

#bestofbothworlds

GUESS WHAT IM DOING FOR MEMORIAL DAY :clap2::clap2::clap2:

I'm wondering how people come up with the percentages for home grind?

I like grinding my own to make my Meat Stix and Italian Sausage. I know pretty much what is going in my grinder, like no arteries or crap.

My other problem is a grinder. How many tons of cow pays off the cost of a grinder?

But, to me, grinding your own gives you control over what gets ground up. Or how fine it gets ground up.

There was a smokehouse near my last place of employment that used brisket for burgers. Haven't been back there in a while because it's a bit of a haul and the place is pretty much carryout only, but the burgers were excellent.

I have the kitchenaid food grinder attachment for my mixer and have ground my own ground beef with good results. Page 4 of the kitchen aid manual indicates the following.

“Grinding Meat — For better mix and more tender results, grind beef twice. Best texture results from grinding very cold or partially frozen meat. Fatty meats should be ground only once.”

IMHO Chuck The best meat for hamburgers. I don’t mix it with anything else. Burgers always tase off to me when people add things to the mix. The only thing I use is salt and pepper as soon as it hits the grill.

When making hamburgers for a large group it takes way too long to grind my own so I just got to ShopRite the morning of the BBQ and ask them to to fresh grind 80/20.

I actually weigh 1/4lb of beef per patty being careful not to work the burger meat and use one of these Weston presses and Weston paper to form the burgers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XB45DO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_8k05CbDG1QHQ8. I like this press because you can set the thickness of the burger just enough fo form the patty without squishing the grind.

I’m sure your burgers will turn out great!

Chris

I have my Weston Press adjusted to make a just right patty from 1/4 pound of GB.
I always break down a bulk of burger into packages of 4 patties. Works good for the two of us. And if we need more, we just grab as many packages as we need.

Last time I did that was a 7 pound blob and made 28 burger patties. :icon_smile_tongue:

Will be ground for burgers this Sunday.
539dd013793fdf8e64e337ee52c1f35c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My little and I will be grindging some ribeye cap this weekend for burgers. Have done this a few times and they have been great.

I have the kitchenaid food grinder attachment for my mixer and have ground my own ground beef with good results. Page 4 of the kitchen aid manual indicates the following.

“Grinding Meat — For better mix and more tender results, grind beef twice. Best texture results from grinding very cold or partially frozen meat. Fatty meats should be ground only once.”

IMHO Chuck The best meat for hamburgers. I don’t mix it with anything else. Burgers always tase off to me when people add things to the mix. The only thing I use is salt and pepper as soon as it hits the grill.

When making hamburgers for a large group it takes way too long to grind my own so I just got to ShopRite the morning of the BBQ and ask them to to fresh grind 80/20.

I actually weigh 1/4lb of beef per patty being careful not to work the burger meat and use one of these Weston presses and Weston paper to form the burgers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XB45DO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_8k05CbDG1QHQ8. I like this press because you can set the thickness of the burger just enough fo form the patty without squishing the grind.

I’m sure your burgers will turn out great!

Chris

I use our Kitchenaid, too. But I got an aftermarket Stainless Steel grinder for it.
A Friend blew his wifes KA up when he mixed ice with the meat he was grinding. Literally, the gear head broke all to heck.
So while I do work with partially frozen meats, I don't try to grind rock hard meat (or ice).

I do, on the other hand, slice frozen Pork Loin into dollops to marinate for Jerky with a Chef's Choice slicer. I wouldn't have thought I could, until I did.

Just a word to the wise.... (about the KitchenAid)

My little and I will be grindging some ribeye cap this weekend for burgers. Have done this a few times and they have been great.

While I have no DOUBTS that would make a killer burger, I just don’t think I could bring myself to drop a cap in the grinder...

My home ground burger dreams just came to grinding halt. I somehow managed to put the auger in wrong I guess and when I turned the grinder on it basically destroyed itself.
0b0ce1d3d265765aeda0b302cd05406b.jpg
c66b996619a4fc3efeb84330d335eed4.jpg

It's not ideal, but if you have a food processor with a reasonably sharp blade you can grind your chuck in that and salvage your cook.

It's not ideal, but if you have a food processor with a reasonably sharp blade you can grind your chuck in that and salvage your cook.
Thanks, that actually crossed my mind. We have people coming over so j just ran to the store and bought some pre-ground.

Thanks, that actually crossed my mind. We have people coming over so j just ran to the store and bought some pre-ground.

Looks like you have some nice stew meat now.

Just got back from the corner store with 5# of ground chuck to throw on the new Blackstone for its first run (might not happen until tomorrow cuz it's raining). Anyway, looked at the price on the roast you bought. Is chuck always that expensive where you are? Seems pretty steep, especially for Costco. The ground I just picked up was $4.39#

Looks like you have some nice stew meat now.

Just got back from the corner store with 5# of ground chuck to throw on the new Blackstone for its first run (might not happen until tomorrow cuz it's raining). Anyway, looked at the price on the roast you bought. Is chuck always that expensive where you are? Seems pretty steep, especially for Costco. The ground I just picked up was $4.39#
It was prime grade chuck. Choice is less.

Back