THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now....hear me out.... I'm from New England and we take a smoked shoulder and we boil it with cabbage and turnip and potato and carrots ....all in one big pot. It is called a New England boiled dinner and it is dee-licious. It ain't bbq and I don't condone boiling shoulder or Boston butt before bbq-ing....but don't dismiss the boiled shoulder....it is good!

Yup, you can use corned beef instead of smoked shoulder dee-licious

I have taken a pork shoulder, smoked it for 4.5 hours, then thrown it in a crockpot with a little applejuice to finish overnight. I took it to work, no one was disappointed, even the guys that are serious about BBQ. YMMV.

ALL meat should be boiled first unless you want Trichinosis!! Didn't your grandmother teach you anything!! :-D

Trichinella_larvaeG.JPG

Ok here we go step by step:
1) prep butt night before as normal (inject/rub)
2) wrap but in foil
3)boil water
4)boil butt for 2 hours
5)drain water
6) feed the wasted butt to the dogs
7)fill ecb water pan with the hot water
8) cook some hamburgers and hot dogs on ecb.

I have taken a pork shoulder, smoked it for 4.5 hours, then thrown it in a crockpot with a little applejuice to finish overnight. I took it to work, no one was disappointed, even the guys that are serious about BBQ. YMMV.

That's totally legit. No infractions of the bbq rules there! :-D

Call 911, if he aint gone plum Loopy Somebody needs to Git a rope! On second thought dump some Butter beans in the pot and break bad with the Cornbread oh HE!! he'll muck that up too probably put sugar in it. Better keep the rope handy:biggrin1:

Would boiling your butt give the meat a gray color? :wacko: Pun...
I have tasted Baby Backs that were boiled before smoking.
The guy swore by em. I didn't like em at all.
Kind of a washed out taste. No pun intended.
The color of the Baby Backs suffered from the boiling.

While they were giving you a hard time, I heard everything except p-nuts dumped into the pot. ;)

One of my daddy's sayings...
'Everyone to their own taste, said the woman who kissed the cow'...

Let us know how it turns out.

Back