THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Av8er

is one Smokin' Farker
I have a freezer in my shop which I don’t go to every day and was curious as to if anyone has found a good WiFi temp sensor with alarm to alert you if the freezer temp rises. I have well over $500 in meat and have lost it once already due to a shelf collapsing and a turkey opening the door. I have seen the ones that beep but if I am not out there I will not hear it.

WiFi capable I donno about.
But I got two for me. They sound an alarm when the temperature goes above your set point. The extended probe goes into your freezer/fridge and the unit on the door or outside.
Gives an audible alarm that eventually gets your attention. Plus a weenie LED that blinks. That's good on my Patio fridge in the dark.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Th...er-Alarm-US-/312291187586?hash=item48b6015b82

But you said wireless, so there is this option:
Wireless.

I prefer Ebay to others because I can pick USA vendors, and free shipping that is typically very fast. (Except Ohio. Ohio seems to be a turd about moving stuff.)

I have this one but it's wireless not wifi and can only go 75 feet.
https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-0098...freezer+alarm&qid=1556473124&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have been looking at that one. Might buy it and hope I would hear it.

How far is the shop from your home?

It’s about 60’ but wireless doesn’t do well inside a metal building transmitting to a receiver outside of it. That’s why I was thinking about WiFi with alert on a phone.

It’s about 60’ but wireless doesn’t do well inside a metal building transmitting to a receiver outside of it. That’s why I was thinking about WiFi with alert on a phone.[/QUOTE]

I have a fail-safe solution that would work for you, but it may be too expensive for you. I put one in my friends pole barn with an attached walk-in refer box, probably a couple thousand dollars of meat at any given time. To him it is great insurance, texts him even when he's out of state and he can send someone to check / service it.

I think I am going to buy he one PJTexas showed and just put the alarm next to the entry door and hope that I would hear it if things got too warm.

I put mine in my metal garage and 60' is right at its limit. I don't know if fresh batteries would help. Going through 1 metal wall,1 brick wall and 2 interior walls. Maybe you could place it closer inside your house?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wireless tags: http://wirelesstag.net/
I have 15 of the tags on one manager, some outside, fridges, freezer, HVAC supply and return, etc. Awesome system and very flexible.

That right there there is nice! More than I want to spend but nice.

I might be able to just put the receiver on my back porch which is a little closer. My walls are insulated with 6” spray foam so it’s pretty dange dense on top of being in the freezer in a metal building. I’m gonna give it a try. It’s cheap enough even if it don’t work.

That right there there is nice! More than I want to spend but nice.

I might be able to just put the receiver on my back porch which is a little closer. My walls are insulated with 6” spray foam so it’s pretty dange dense on top of being in the freezer in a metal building. I’m gonna give it a try. It’s cheap enough even if it don’t work.

You can’t go wrong with the AcuRite. They are one way on 433mhz, so range is great for walls, battery life is unparalleled and inexpensive. They sadly don’t scale beyond a handful (limited IDs).

You could put a latch on the door if you don't mind the looks and drilling in our door. I did it to my garage freezer after the door came open once...That was costly.

Don't drill the cabinet,they make glue on latches,I have seen 2 many Freon lines cut by drilling holes for latches over the years.

Wireless tags: http://wirelesstag.net/
I have 15 of the tags on one manager, some outside, fridges, freezer, HVAC supply and return, etc. Awesome system and very flexible.

I know Av8er is leaning towards AcuRite, which is a good system, but I thought I'd add some pricing for future folks that stumble upon this.

Since there are a lot of addon sensor/probes you can buy, pricing isn't clear for one monitor:
A basic wireless tags setup is currently $39 (Ethernet Tag Manager) and a $26 tag (just temp, no humidity, $29 for humidity) = $68.

The only catch with the above is that the tag manager needs to be connected to Ethernet, it does not have WiFi built in. You can buy a $25 wireless bridge if is not near an Ethernet location (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L0YLRUW/).

The number of times that I have saved food from a freezer or fridge being cracked has made it all worth it. I can generally detect a door open/cracked condition within 10 minutes.

Back