First Time Sous Vide Anything (Steak)

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Finally got off my butt and picked up a sous vide. I feel fancy :twitch:.

Gonna put on a few steaks I cut off one of those hunks of publix roast from last week. Gonna do like an hour at some temperature I haven't decided upon yet and then cast iron finish.

Got the steaks in a bag with some butter and salt/pepper. Fired it up earlier to see if it works and this one is pretty simple. This Wancle (lol) had solid reviews and was a toss up between this and the normal Anova ones. Got it for $88.

098oRssl.jpg

TXEe4Q2l.jpg

q6Epqgbl.jpg

More to come later.......no way I can screw this up like those pit boss pizzas I thought would be a walk in the park :becky:

There's always a way to screw things up, lol. Don't know the thickness of your steaks but I put mine in for 1.5 to 2 hours at 130 for rare and sear. I've also gotten into the habit of putting a sprig of rosemary in the bag. Nice flavor.

You'll find what works for you pretty quickly. I just bought a sous vide machine not too long ago myself. My preference is for no butter, heavier on the Q-Salt, no rosemary. Temp and time depends on thickness of the steak, if it's still frozen and my final sear method. Typical for me is 1.75", boneless, not frozen, 2 hours at 133°F, final sear on the grill. Medium rare.

Interested in your results on the Wancle (cool name). My soups vide steaks 130* 60-90 min, no butter. Good results but can’t compare to the grill. Looking forward to what you think

You'll find what works for you pretty quickly. I just bought a sous vide machine not too long ago myself. My preference is for no butter, heavier on the Q-Salt, no rosemary. Temp and time depends on thickness of the steak, if it's still frozen and my final sear method. Typical for me is 1.75", boneless, not frozen, 2 hours at 133°F, final sear on the grill. Medium rare.

Thanks. As with anything cooking I haven't found a consensus around what to season with when putting it in the bag. Some swear you need butter, some you need seasoning, some swear you ruin it if you do those things ahead of time before searing :twitch:.

I got it set to 130 and will roll for about 60-70mins and then sear up.

I really like mine. They say you can do it with ziplock bags. I did that once. Loss too much juice. I have found that Vac seal helps to hold in the juices

Somehow, I figured you would one day boil your steaks. I had a tri tip cooked sous vide and finished on a smoker and it was fantastic, so I'm sure once you sear it, you will feel confident that you are eating a real steak. Who knows what possibilities lie ahead for you and your Wancle?

I was never a fan of ribeye done with that method because I didn't like how the fat ended up. Filet on the other hand was awesome. It's been a while since I have used mine. Probably need to try that again.

I've never seen anyone cook with their Wancle before.

Interesting adventure thus far.

How'd the sear and finish go? Mayo? White Bread?

For a good steak and with all the time in the world, sous vide isn’t my favorite. When I need the flexibility it gives me in timing things for a crowd — can’t be beat.

A dose of carne crosta is great for the cast iron (or Blackstone) sear

If I'm doing Prime and sometimes Choice steak it's going to be Sous vide.

Here is an older review. https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275794

Knowing what I know now for good steak searing after a Sous Vide steak cook. A real hot skillet will do it too but this works best for me. Hard to beat the fame thrower and it seems to always impress the guests:

lacQel0.jpg

Get the free Joule app. You do not have to have the Joule unit to use for the proper times & temps.

What got me started with Sous Vide was this site. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpFuaxD-0PKLolFR3gWhrMw Guga has hundreds of how-to videos.

Don't dismiss this rig out of hand and discover what it can do just like with BBQ.

Sous Vide for beginners May need to restart the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dee5FwKOnkM&t=252s

Last edited:
Back