THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DarkStar11

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Kevin
Back at the beginning of December, I picked up the small SmokeFire 2.0 while they were on sale. I've been looking forward to cooking on it, but life dictated other priorities as December and January became a blur. Anyway, the first opportunity for its initial burn-in and seasoning happened Sunday, followed by its unplanned first cook - which was actually a bake.

While doing the initial burn, I had pulled some focaccia dough out of fridge and put it in a cast iron pan. The timer that had been set for the SmokeFire went off just as I was about to start preheating the oven for the bread. Since the pellet was already at 450, why not give it a try? I put a baking stone on the lower grates and a 12" cast iron skillet on the top. Then the temp got cranked up to 500 and everything preheated for an hour. The pan of bread went in on the stone, and 30 minutes later:

sf-focaccia.jpg

The bread was great! It was a little windy and mid-50's, so the SF chewed up quite a few pellets, as expected. And no, my photography skills didn't improve over the past couple months - wife took the picture.

Back at the beginning of December, I picked up the small SmokeFire 2.0 while they were on sale. I've been looking forward to cooking on it, but life dictated other priorities as December and January became a blur. Anyway, the first opportunity for its initial burn-in and seasoning happened Sunday, followed by its unplanned first cook - which was actually a bake.

Welcome to the Smokefire world. I got my EX6 the first of December as well. I've not had one problem with the grill, either smoking or searing/high temp grilling. I use Weber, B&B, Pitboss, Bear Mountain pellets interchangeably with no problems.

Glad to see you finally got a chance to get it going. Looks really good and the wives do a pretty good job at taking care of us don't they :-D

The baking stone (or steel) is supposed to help with crisping up the bottom of the bread. I'll have to try it without the stone next time to see if there is any difference...

I'm really looking forward to getting some more cooks in on the SmokeFire. The Rec-Tec 680 has been in the arsenal since '13 and has produced a ton of good food, but have never used it for anything but smoking. I'm planning to use the SF for a wider range of cooking.

Back