THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IdiAmeanDada

Got rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
John
First of all, wanted to say I am so glad I found this site. I was looking for modifications for the new Bandera I received recently, which is how I found this place. So much good information here! Anyway, I built the smoker last weekend. Everything went relatively smooth, except for 2 things. The Firebox door does not close flush and there is a gap between the lid and box on the left side. Any thoughts on how to fix?

BTW, the other smoker is an old Brinkman Smoke 'N Pit that I received for Father's Day in 2000 before they started making them with the super thin metal.

Attachments

• 20180729_140040.jpg
    20180729_140040.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 367
  • 20180729_170034.jpg
    20180729_170034.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 368
  • 20180729_151820.jpg
    20180729_151820.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 366
  • 20180729_153556.jpg
    20180729_153556.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 366
You have to be the most patient member of this forum. Congrats on the new cooker!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's not a good fit job for sure- but I don't know if it matters a ton. Treat it like a bit more intake and move on down the road.See what it does-then come up with a plan of attack if warranted. If I were going all OCD, it would be on the cook chamber and not the firebox.

I guess the question comes down to: what fuel? Charcoal does not draft well- wood is all draft. If you are committed to running charcoal, seal that sucker up. If stick burning, try it the way it is first.

Your Brinkman looks just like my New Braunfels only the chimney is different. Mine doesn't have an angle. I also have the older, thicker model before Charbroil bought them and outsourced to China.

Mine was flush when I built it but it has expanded just like yours after a few smokes. Gaskets are your friend in this case. As for the firebox door, that's nothing. Any gasket there will burn off anyway. When closed and your fire is going, it should draft the other way.

For me, I would not worry too much, just use it as part of you air intake. I have seen some put gaskets on their fire boxes, but eventually it burned off.

Back