THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Professor

Knows what a fatty is.
This was my first attempt at making pulled pork. I started with a two pack of boneless pork shoulder (14.4lbs total). Seasoned it overnight with Texas wild and cayenne. Fired up the offset with mesquite at 6:30 on saturday morning. Put them on at 7:30 and made a cider vinegar mop with mustard, S&P, cayenne and crushed red pepper. Approximately every hour I would check the fire and mop the pork. At about 9 hours it made it to 175F. I moved it closer to the firebox and by 11 1/2 hours it was 192-195. Let it rest and then pulled it. I made a piedmont style sauce and used a Bobby Flay creamy cole slaw recipe. Served it with cream corn, tomato and fresh mozzarella with basil and balsamic vinaigrette, fresh pineapple and chips.

The company thought it was superb! We didn't use all of the bark - it tasted great but it didn't all end up in the finished product.

IMG_2070.jpg

IMG_2068.JPG

IMG_2085.JPG

IMG_2088.JPG

IMG_2093.JPG

Looks like a really good first run at it.

If you liked that, next time, buy bone-in butts and smoke with something besides the mesquite. Since you're in San Antonio, hickory might be a little high or hard to find, but you oughta be able to find some pecan or oak.

The piedmont sauce was excellent. It had cider vinegar, ketchup, sugar, salt, cayenne and crushed red pepper. We found a cole slaw recipe that works well also! Thanks!

I like the bark on that.

Did you use just mesquite wood, or did you incorporate any other types of wood? If it was just mesquite, how strong was the smoke flavor in the butt? I've always been under the impression that mesquite is a very, very strong wood.

Back