THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which farking Pellet Grill?

• Rec Tec

Votes: 26 32.1%
  • Grilla

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Other (please explain which)

Votes: 40 49.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh and temps across grates are way better in Prime. My brother has sent me screen shots of his temps from the app. His runs at most 10-15 degrees difference across grates and usually within 5-10 degrees of set temp.

Seems to be GMG could be a strong contender at a lower price point.

I'm still on the fence about Pit Boss...??

What features specifically? I've asked this before and either you didn't see it or ignored it.

Minimum auger rate is still adjustable in the app. As far as calibrating the probes... They plug in to the controller. So what if you cant calibrate them with the app. You need to be standing in front of the grill to calibrate them anyway. Not to mention you should only ever need to do that once. Not a loss really if it cant be done on the app.

I feel I can control everything I need to from the app. What cant be controlled there is easily accessible in the controller.

Its was easier doing it from the app, and you didn't have to sit there messing around with it outside in the winter freezing your balls trying to get them tweaked just right. I was able to get extreme smoke mode down to 160F and still keep the fire pot burning clean by tricking the ambient probe into thinking the temp was higher then it was, It was great for smoking jerky and salmon. And then aftward just set the probe calibration back to normal.

The point is, they updated the app on all my devices without asking if i wanted to lose features. For that reason alone, I will never buy another Rec Tec product, plain and simple.

REC-TEC, I have the 680 and it's still going strong. Brother has a Traeger and although it's nice the 680 is much more sturdy commercial, heavy duty grill. Hands down the best customer support I have ever had.

Is it hard to keep the window clean to be able to see through it?
I let mine black over, it doesn't do anything. I've never had a window and dont need one now, BUT the window on the pellet hopper is solid money. THAT window is worth it.

Does it require a cover in the cold weather?
I live in Texas, so I dont use a blanket. With that said, no, it doesn't REQUIRE a blanket, yes it will burn more fuel in colder weather.. just like everything would. I also dont really ever turn mine over 400 or so, maybe someone in a colder climate could talk about that.

Is the temp even across the grate surface?
Mine is pretty dog gone close. The primes have the ability to adjust the heat shield from outside the smoker, I saw my right was running about 20 degrees hotter after a cleaning one time, I just bumped it a touch over and voila. Is it within a degree all over? probably not, but I've never had a smoker that accurate nor is it necessary. Lets just say I've covered the entire surface edge to edge in chicken, pulled it all out at the same time, and it was all the same color. Good enough for me.

Seems as though Camp Chef has rave reviews from everyone that uses them.

And another gets thrown in the mix! Oh, Jesus!

Farking pellet grills!

Pellet grills have gotten to the point in my opinion that its difficult to make a mistake.
If you choose a Rec Tec, Camp Chef, GMG, or Grilla you are very likely going to be happy with it.

Sounds like it may be time to bust out the pen and paper and start doing the pros/cons/needs/wants thing.

Paralysis by analysis.
I am painfully guilty of this to a fault. Its maddening sometimes. Drive myself crazy.

My vote is for the Silverbac. I have one and my daughter has a chimp. They are constructed very well. The alpha controller is nice because you can go from PID to Pro mode.

This thread came at a good time. I've been looking at getting my first pellet grill and it's been between the GG Chimp and a Rec-Tec RT-340. I normally will only be cooking for 4 of us and with my budget being $650 those two came in below that and seem to be highly rated. I also looked at the OG Silverbac but wasn't sure about it.

This thread came at a good time. I've been looking at getting my first pellet grill and it's been between the GG Chimp and a Rec-Tec RT-340. I normally will only be cooking for 4 of us and with my budget being $650 those two came in below that and seem to be highly rated. I also looked at the OG Silverbac but wasn't sure about it.

Not to tell anyone what do with their money.... But unless you really need the portability of it, I'd try and stretch for the bigger one.

It's another $100 to the Silverbac, with the cart for storage underneath and a lot more space.

So, 58 folks have voted so far.

30 have voted for Rec-Tec or Grilla.

A few have mentioned other brands like GMG, Camp Chef and the like.

I still have not made a decision. :tsk:

So, 58 folks have voted so far.

30 have voted for Rec-Tec or Grilla.

A few have mentioned other brands like GMG, Camp Chef and the like.

I still have not made a decision. :tsk:

I hate to do this to you...

But, I ordered a Silverbac on 4/28, with a stated delivery time of 7-10 business days.

Today is 5 business days and there is not even a shipping label that has been created. I reached out and was told they have no idea when I can expect my grill.

I understand things are crazy right now. And I don't expect anything the next day.

But I'm not happy that they are taking $$, stating a certain delivery time, and then having absolutely no idea when they can actually fulfill it.

I can go pick up a GMG tomorrow....

Both grills are fairly small but both are very well made. I think the chimp is a few inches wider. But you are looking at a cooker that can accommodate 1 brisket only at a time and not a giant one. If it was going to be my only grill, I would consider something larger if possible. If you need larger, base Silverbac isnt much more but doesn’t have the Alpha controller (chimp does). The main selling points of the Rec Tec over the chimp is WiFi and ceramic igniter. Both are well made and good choices. Rec Tec might have quicker turnaround on shipping if you are impatient. It really all boils down to what is important to you.

Back