THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which farking Pellet Grill?

• Rec Tec

Votes: 26 32.1%
  • Grilla

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Other (please explain which)

Votes: 40 49.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm on the grilla grillz bandwagon.. I've seen enough from their customer service to know.. they are a legit business to deal with. I love my silverbac. I love the response time from everyone I've seen need help on the FB group. I would buy another silverbac before thinking about buying any other pellet cooker.. well truthfully I'd buy their Chimp to go with the silverbac for portability..

Wifi does not interest me.. I don't need a million ways to check the temps of my meat.. I have a instant read, and the silverbac has a built in meat probe port.. that's all I need.. But if wifi is your thing.. Grilla has announced a wifi model coming soon this year. will be backwards compatible to all older models.

Their Grilla pellet cooker is a unique design.. That's another one to look into.. I've seen alot of people fitting a good bit of food.. just depends on how big your lookin for

Oh and also they just released a silverbac combo with their Pro cart! Think its called Silverbac AT.. if your looking for something more rugged and able to move in rough terrain.. I'm getting ready to buy their pro cart because my driveway is gravel/grass..

Last edited:
Interesting! What specifically do you think it is that makes the food better coming off the GM grills?

Electronics and algorithms, pellet cookers = smoky convection ovens. One of the things I noticed right away on the older GM's was how precise the fuel and fan cycles were in keeping temps consistent and that only got better on the newer prime models.

Any pellet cooker has large amounts of forced air moving into and out of the cooker, temperature overshoots (my Cookshacks are guilty of this) can really dry out unwrapped proteins in a hurry.

You can drop butts on a GM at 3pm running 225* and finish having your coffee at 8am the next morning and see right where they are for internal temps from your phone app.

Bump the heat to 275* for an hour and a half and they are ready, nice and moist with great bark.

These were smoked this week, 17 hours at 225* and finished at 275* for an hour and a half.

jDoOYp9l.jpg

I always run hot and fast on stickburners but low and slow is where it's at for pellet cookers, pretty hard to beat set it and forget it with a single refill before bed time for overnight cooks.

I had $500 2 years ago and bought the biggest 1 I could lay my hands on and look at, Pit Boss Austin LX, I wasn't sure I would like pellet food or not, turns out I do. The set and forget has been great and outside of a couple of meat probes that went south it has worked great. If I could buy another It would be a rec tec, I don't see this 2 year old unit needing replaced for a long time.

I also vote for GMG Prime series. I agree it does an excellent job on pulled pork and brisket. Temp control is steady, the app works great. One thing not mentioned is it runs on 12v and comes with a plug to connect to a battery. This is very important here in hurricane alley.

Another vote for GMG DB or JB Prime. Both with accessories and pellets under $1k. Dad, brother, and I all have a DB. Can’t beat convenience and bang for your buck.

Another which one thread. Again!

I know there are tens of manufacturers to choose from.

But!

If you were going to choose between Rec-Tec & Grilla, which would it be?

Looking to simplify as much as possible as most of you know I work way too much. (Although it has slowed down, it's going to ramp back up soon.)

Budget is around what that "stimulus" government loan was. Say $<1K.

I've read up on most of them but have kind of settled on those two, unless you know of something better for the $.

So, fire away 'ya Farkers! I erected my poll so you can vote.

I just hit the 'buy' button on the Grilla Pro day before yesterday. I looked at the Rec Tec, GMG, and dreamed over a Mak. My budget was pretty hard at $800 (cause there are pellets, cover, grill grates, etc. coming along too).

At $800 you're comparing the Silverbac Pro and the RT-590 - even though the RT-700 is the same size (and runs $1,200).

Here were the things I found different between the two:
1. The Silverbac is 20% bigger
2. Double walled construction - I live in the northeast and don't want a blanket.

3. Shape - these grills are big enough, but the RecTec has the hopper in the back

4. Lots of mentions of peeling paint
5. No horns :)

I am disappointed there is no wifi, but I couldn't justify getting a smaller grill for more money (both RecTec and GMG fell in that category).

There are a ton of great options out there, so hard to go wrong!

I just ordered a Rec Tec 540 with a cart and stainless front shelf yesterday and ran me $1,200 with free shipping and 20 percent off on accessories .

I just hit the 'buy' button on the Grilla Pro day before yesterday. I looked at the Rec Tec, GMG, and dreamed over a Mak. My budget was pretty hard at $800 (cause there are pellets, cover, grill grates, etc. coming along too).

At $800 you're comparing the Silverbac Pro and the RT-590 - even though the RT-700 is the same size (and runs $1,200).

Here were the things I found different between the two:
1. The Silverbac is 20% bigger
2. Double walled construction - I live in the northeast and don't want a blanket.

3. Shape - these grills are big enough, but the RecTec has the hopper in the back

4. Lots of mentions of peeling paint
5. No horns :)

I am disappointed there is no wifi, but I couldn't justify getting a smaller grill for more money (both RecTec and GMG fell in that category).

There are a ton of great options out there, so hard to go wrong!

Wifi coming later this year. Of course gonna cost more in the long run. But if your like me and don't get the alpha controller (think the pro doesn't).. I'm waiting for the wifi to get the alpha controls anyways... Pretty sure every accessory and upgrade they do works with existing models which is nice!

Pat, I voted other....I'm pretty partial to my Yoder YS640. You can get one without the comp cart for a little north of stimulus money.

That said, I'm intrigued by the grilla grills and GMG's too.......I do like to switch saddles often, so might be looking. I had my eye on the new Weber, but the DumpsterFire, I mean SmokeFire is looking like a disaster.:doh:

Wifi coming later this year. Of course gonna cost more in the long run. But if your like me and don't get the alpha controller (think the pro doesn't).. I'm waiting for the wifi to get the alpha controls anyways... Pretty sure every accessory and upgrade they do works with existing models which is nice!

I mispoke - I got the Alpha. They now only offer the Pro and Alpha. For $50, I felt like the PID option was worth it.

I will end up being very, very annoyed if the PID enabled wifi controller costs more.

We shall see!

I mispoke - I got the Alpha. They now only offer the Pro and Alpha. For $50, I felt like the PID option was worth it.

I will end up being very, very annoyed if the PID enabled wifi controller costs more.

We shall see!

yeah.. I took the cheap route got the original when they offered it for $649 I've done everything from jerky, summer sausages to hot grilling on the thing. I love it! I bet the PID controller would be better for low temp.. but I learned no matter what your doing 180 and leaving the door shut it stays pretty solid at 180-190

yeah.. I took the cheap route got the original when they offered it for $649 I've done everything from jerky, summer sausages to hot grilling on the thing. I love it! I bet the PID controller would be better for low temp.. but I learned no matter what your doing 180 and leaving the door shut it stays pretty solid at 180-190

From what I see on their website they still offer the original for $649. You just have to look a little.:wink:

#1 Pit Boss because its cheaper and has direct flame searing.
#2 Treager Timberline or D2 because it can go as low as 165F and produce clean smoke with the super smoke mode.

Rec Tec lost my business when they decided to remove advanced features from the App on my RT-700 without my consent.

Rec Tec lost my business when they decided to remove advanced features from the App on my RT-700 without my consent.

What features specifically? I've asked this before and either you didn't see it or ignored it.

Minimum auger rate is still adjustable in the app. As far as calibrating the probes... They plug in to the controller. So what if you cant calibrate them with the app. You need to be standing in front of the grill to calibrate them anyway. Not to mention you should only ever need to do that once. Not a loss really if it cant be done on the app.

I feel I can control everything I need to from the app. What cant be controlled there is easily accessible in the controller.

Questions about the GMG Prime. Is it hard to keep the window clean to be able to see through it? Does it require a cover in the cold weather? Is the temp even across the grate surface?

I’ve got older GMG DB but my brother got a prime DB a few weeks ago. He said he wipes his cook chamber window off after each cook and it’s been easy to see through and keep clean. He doesn’t have a jacket and lives is in Oregon. I’ve got a jacket on mine and I notice a difference in pellet consumption with it, especially in cold weather. Wouldn’t say you have to have jacket but certainly helps me. If you talking about actual cover, I would suggest it strongly if it’s kept outside.

Back