THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which farking Pellet Grill?

• Rec Tec

Votes: 26 32.1%
  • Grilla

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Other (please explain which)

Votes: 40 49.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Were it a Rec Tec, the guy having the trouble with the Grilla, could box the Rec Tec up and ship it back and get a full refund within 30days of his purchase, even if it were in perfect working order, no questions asked. Let alone if it were acting up.

"If you are not fully satisfied with your REC TEC, return it within 30 days and we will refund your purchase price. We are confident that you will love your new REC TEC wood pellet grill."

And you're right Dan. The RT590 is built stout. But I'd hardly put it in the category of the other brand mentioned.

HnqNudal.jpg

7aj7Vdyl.jpg

Hi Yeah I hear you. I might have jump the gun with Rec Tec's customer service.They are NOT living up to great reviews for CS!! Returning phone calls seem to a problem for them lately.. Could be related to the virus? I'l wait and see!
Thanks DanB

Hi Yeah I hear you. I might have jump the gun with Rec Tec's customer service.They are NOT living up to great reviews for CS!! Returning phone calls seem to a problem for them lately.. Could be related to the virus? I'l wait and see!
Thanks DanB

Dan, are you having problems with yours?

Thanks DanB

Treager isn't any better when it comes to customer service. I called a few weeks before Covid 19 pandemic about not being able to login to WiFire. The tech said he can see my treager is connected to the network, but for some reason every device i install the app on says failed to login. I was told it was being sent up to corporate but I have yet to receive a return email or call back. I also figured it was covid 19 related and haven't bothered to call back and complain, which is something i do in my sleep.

Thanks DanB

Could be.

But my own Rec Tec customer service story follows.

If you look at my smoker, the black lid on it is not the original lid.

I damaged the original black lid using a harsh abrasive cleaner on it intended for use on cars. When I say "damaged", I took the glaze off of it, dulled it out and left fine scratches that could only be seen by me when the sun would hit it just right. But it bugged me.

This was my fault entirely.

Finally, I got sick of seeing the imperfections that I had left in the lid. My eyes were just constantly drawn to them. No matter what. I tried to correct it on my own with other auto products that I had. Wanting the lid to look like new, I finally said; "what the hell, I screwed this up, and I like for my stuff to look good. I'm going to buy another black lid for it. It can't cost that much" I called Rec Tec up to order a replacement and asked them how much it would be. I had no idea what a lid for a RT 590 cost. They took my order and verified my address. I got my credit card out. .... To find out that I wouldn't need it.

They sent it to me free of charge. 2 day freight.

A new lid, that they could have easily charged me for. They didn't even charge me for shipping. Just flat out gave me a free lid. After I had screwed up.

Mind you there was nothing wrong with the lid. It functioned as it was intended. I just didn't like the way it looked in certain sunlight. They could have told me to pay for another lid or go pound sand.

Would have been perfectly within their right to have done just that. But they didn't.

The ate the price of the lid. But the "good will" that they got more than paid for it. You see, I have bought not one, but two RT590s. The second one I gifted to a relative for a house warming gift.

My story, is just one of many from satisfied customers with Rec Tecs.

So when I hear the story of a guy who orders a grill from another company, and then when it comes, he gets a significantly damaged box, with a grill inside of it which when he assembles it, it does not work properly, and now he has to spend his own time trouble shooting and fixing, only to find out that a piece of string inside of it which should never had made it past QC is what was causing his problems, well, that kind of customer service is strange to me. Especially after taking my own experience with pellet grill customer service, from the company that I bought my pellet grill from, into account.

First off, nobody knew that it was a piece of string. I would have wondered, as would have many others, if the significantly damaged box was some indicator as to why the grill wasn't working correctly in the first place. But even before that, a severely damaged box? They can correct me if I'm wrong, the MAK owners in here, but does not MAK state somewhere to not accept their grills if the box is damaged??

I could be wrong on that, but I believe that I am right. Someone correct me if wrong.

I don't own a MAK, but that tidbit taught me something. That's a good practice. Apparently the folks at MAK wants to know going in that if you do happen to have a problem, do call them back with a problem, then it's not the result of the package having been mishandled. They can rule that out right away.

That has taught me not to accept anything like a pellet grill, and other products that you don't want jostled around, if the box is severely damaged. So if I had any advice for Patattack, it would be do not accept Rec Tec's box if it is damaged. Get with them and tell them right away you want a replacement.

Since that incident, I have ordered the competition cart from Rec Tec and th efront shelf, supplemental cooking shelves. AndI have recommended them to anyone looking to purchase a pellet grill in their price ranges.

So remember that lid they "gave" me. It's has no doubt paid for itself.

Funny part of this story.......when they told me that they were sending me the lid free of charge.......they asked me if I needed another set of horns too. LOL. I told them No, the horns were still good.LOL

BTW Dan, you say that you can't contact them? I seem to recall when I bought mine, a card inside of it with Ray Carnes' personal cell phone number on it.....Yes, As a matter of fact, I just went through my desk drawer and have the card right here. On the front of it it lists their phone support number and phone support hours. Monday -Th 10a-8p. Friday 10a-7p Saturday 10a-3p. then goes on to say "should you have an "after hours emergency" it refers you to the back of the card. On the back, to the top left, it list "For general inquiries, recipe information or shipment issues, please call, and they list the number, during normal business hours. At the bottom left it says: Rec Tec after hours support, and lists that number. And finally to the back of the card and at the right it says: "If you are not able to get your issue resolved, call Ben, Ray or Ron on their personal cell phone.

It then goes on to list the personal cell phones of each of these gentlemen.

Last edited:
Pellet Grill

Hi All The grill works great holds temps really good. My problem is with the WiFi it sucks BIG time.My grill is only 2 weeks old. I did an over night for 10 hrs WiFi worked great. That was the last it work/connection problem to my phone.
I've Been trying for 4 days now to get it fixed. One of reasons for me buying the 590 was their excellent Customer service..So far I haven't seen it.
FYI I call @ 8 am eastern time and left a message that I needed WiFi help ASAP.
I also E-mail about 1hr ago. So far Nada response from Rec Tec..I'm getting really pissed off just waiting for a call from them!!!
DanB
PS I have the tel # for the co owners but don't want to throw any body under the bus..Right now.

PS I have the tel # for the co owners but don't want to throw any body under the bus..Right now.

You need to use the tools at your disposal to get your issue resolved.
Also, As the owners I'm sure they'd want to know if you weren't happy.
Contact them directly and give them opportunity to correct the issue.
I am willing to be that once you get one of their ears your issue will be promptly dealt with.

Like I said earlier. I have put 60+ pounds of pellets through mine since late March without as much as a hiccup. This includes 3 very long overnight cooks.

Are you running the latest controller firmware?
Is your wifi 5g?

You need to use the tools at your disposal to get your issue resolved.
Also, As the owners I'm sure they'd want to know if you weren't happy.
Contact them directly and give them opportunity to correct the issue.
I am willing to be that once you get one of their ears your issue will be promptly dealt with.

Like I said earlier. I have put 60+ pounds of pellets through mine since late March without as much as a hiccup. This includes 3 very long overnight cooks.

Are you running the latest controller firmware?
Is your wifi 5g?

I think you mean 5GHz

I was just going to ask if his Wifi is 5GHz.

Anyway WiFi issues are addressed here...... https://www.rectecgrills.com/wifi-troubleshoot

And if that didn't work, then I would use the tools at my disposal, just as you mentioned.

Were it a Rec Tec, the guy having the trouble with the Grilla, could box the Rec Tec up and ship it back and get a full refund within 30days of his purchase, even if it were in perfect working order, no questions asked. Let alone if it were acting up.

"If you are not fully satisfied with your REC TEC, return it within 30 days and we will refund your purchase price. We are confident that you will love your new REC TEC wood pellet grill."

And you're right Dan. The RT590 is built stout. But I'd hardly put it in the category of the other brand mentioned.

Hi I had a Shirley 24 x 36 patio for 3 years before getting the Rec Tec.
The Rec Tec reviews were a lot like what I read about Shirley smokers.I am talking about stickly smokers. I know how good l Shirley family is
DanB
PS So far I am over joyed with the Rec Tec.

Hi All The grill works great holds temps really good. My problem is with the WiFi it sucks BIG time.My grill is only 2 weeks old. I did an over night for 10 hrs WiFi worked great. That was the last it work/connection problem to my phone.
I've Been trying for 4 days now to get it fixed. One of reasons for me buying the 590 was their excellent Customer service..So far I haven't seen it.
FYI I call @ 8 am eastern time and left a message that I needed WiFi help ASAP.
I also E-mail about 1hr ago. So far Nada response from Rec Tec..I'm getting really pissed off just waiting for a call from them!!!
DanB

Hi All I got the WiFi problem fixed. My WiFi signal from my router was on the weak side, so I had to buy and use a WiFi extender.
RT customer service has really pick up. I think I jumped the gun knocking their CS.
DanB
PS Rec Tec has a cult following almost like Shirley's:-D

Back