THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SchoonDawg

It’s been a long time since I’ve posted here. Mostly because my camera’s battery pack was a mess. I have lots of pictures of prep and early cooking but no finished products. As an early Christmas gift to myself I picked up 2 new battery packs and a new charger. Now I’m back in business. This was going to be the first Christmas in 7 years that SWMBO and I would not be travelling or having someone visiting us. We were really looking forward to a quiet Christmas alone. Her family’s Christmas Eve tradition is tourtière and mine is lobster, so we combined the two for a version of surf and turf.
100_1511_thumb.jpg
100_1512_thumb.jpg

I wanted to do the Christmas turkey on the WSM this year, but didn’t want it overly smokey or “barbecuey'”. I started with a 12lb grain-fed fresh turkey that I dry brined for about 30 hours. I mixed 1 Tbsp of kosher salt for every 5lbs of turkey with my spice mix and rubbed the whole bird down, over and under the skin. I wrapped it in plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge. Here’s the turkey out of the fridge after 30 hour brine
100_1516_thumb.jpg

While the turkey skin air dried I mixed up the dressing. We’re both used to sausage dressing and while I was at the deli I found an apple cinnamon spiced sausage meat. I also grabbed some pork and beef sausage to mix with the apple cinnamon, I added sage, thyme, and savoury and formed it into a fatty.
100_1514_thumb.jpg

100_1515_thumb.jpg

100_1519_thumb.jpg

I rubbed the turkey with a little more of the same spice mix that was in the cure and fired up the WSM. My goal was to cook it between 325 and 375. There was a little bit of maple and apple wood in the mix.
100_1518_thumb.jpg

With the door propped open I was able to keep the WSM humming along pretty consistently. The new dual probe remote thermometer Santa brought me was a big help in knowing my pit temp and the meat temp. When I was approaching 130 in the leg I put the dressing fatty on. The turkey cooked faster than I expected, was done in just over 2.5 hours. It came off the WSM and went into the oven to
100_1520_thumb.jpg

100_1521_thumb.jpg

The fatty needed a little longer on the smoker to finish and I pulled it off at 160 internal
100_1527_thumb.jpg

100_1529_thumb.jpg

My first attempt at carving a full turkey
100_1528_thumb.jpg

Plated with green beans, mashed potatoes and squash soup:
100_1526_thumb.jpg

100_1525_thumb.jpg

I will definitely do the dry brine again, they turkey was very flavourful and moist, although I’ll add less spice mixture to the cure, the flavour was a little bold. The dressing fatty was great, had a lot of apple flavour. Next time I will stuff it with toasted breadcrumbs for a little texture. Merry Christmas everyone!

Back