THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hmmmm..., I'm in dialogue with my pit boss on this one.

pitboss_cornelius_zps6c0c97e2.jpg

Are parrots an Aussie delicacy?

Titch, I hear a pie floater is an Aussie delicacy. Can you explain?

The legendary Adelaide “pie floater” – hot meat pie with tomato sauce in a bowl of hot green pea soup!

Some first time diners swear by these local delights; others swear at them!

The Floater - aka Pie Floater:
The South Australian National Trust has traced the history of the pie floater: an impressive history tracing back 130+ years.

Early records in South Australia state that the pie floater was reputedly born in Port Pirie, South Australia, conceived by one Ern "Shorty" Bradley in 1890's - but, no one really knows how. Did he inadvertently drop a pie into a bowl of soup? Or though pea soup with meat has long been part of English culinary history, with honourable mentions in the 19th Century, including Yorkshire "pea and pie supper", "pea soup with eel", "suet dumplings or saveloys", (Dumplings in soup were known as "Floaters"). Maybe, it developed from those dishes, which are useful when you have a lot of people to feed on a budget: for example at a cricket match, or at harvest time or even at the footy.

The pie floater is a meal available in Australia, which consists of the traditional meat pie sitting, unusually inverted, in a plate of thick green pea soup. It is traditionally served and covered with tomato sauce and, although subject to the taste of the individual consumer, mint sauce and salt and pepper are the also traditionally added to complement the dish. Another popular condiment is vinegar or even worcestershire sauce.

Bit mor information on Aussie BBQ for you..

When a man volunteers to do the Barbecue, usually on a Saturday, the following chain of events is put into motion:

Barbecue Routine
1) The woman buys the food.

2) The woman makes the salad, prepares the vegetables, and makes dessert.

3) The woman prepares the meat for cooking, places it on a tray along with the necessary cooking utensils and sauces, and takes it to the man who is lounging beside the grill - beer in hand.
Here comes the important part:

4) THE MAN PLACES THE MEAT ON THE GRILL.

More routine....

5) The woman goes inside to organise the plates and cutlery.

6) The woman comes out to tell the man that the meat is burning. He thanks her and asks if she will bring another beer while he deals with the situation.

Important again:

7) THE MAN TAKES THE MEAT OFF THE GRILL AND HANDS IT TO THE WOMAN.

More routine.....

icon_cool.gif
The woman prepares the plates, salad, bread, utensils, napkins, sauces and brings them to the table.

9) After eating, the woman clears the table and does the dishes.

And most important of all:
10) Everyone PRAISES the MAN and THANKS HIM for his cooking efforts.

11) They tell good old Aussie barbie jokes like:
Question: What do you call a boomerang that wont come back?
Answer: A stick.

12) The man asks the woman how she enjoyed 'her night off.' And, upon seeing her annoyed reaction, concludes that there's just no pleasing some women....

By the way, where is Bill?

Small World! It's IDENTICAL here in Louisiana! :clap:

The legendary Adelaide “pie floater” – hot meat pie with tomato sauce in a bowl of hot green pea soup!

Some first time diners swear by these local delights; others swear at them!

The Floater - aka Pie Floater:
The South Australian National Trust has traced the history of the pie floater: an impressive history tracing back 130+ years.

Early records in South Australia state that the pie floater was reputedly born in Port Pirie, South Australia, conceived by one Ern "Shorty" Bradley in 1890's - but, no one really knows how. Did he inadvertently drop a pie into a bowl of soup? Or though pea soup with meat has long been part of English culinary history, with honourable mentions in the 19th Century, including Yorkshire "pea and pie supper", "pea soup with eel", "suet dumplings or saveloys", (Dumplings in soup were known as "Floaters"). Maybe, it developed from those dishes, which are useful when you have a lot of people to feed on a budget: for example at a cricket match, or at harvest time or even at the footy.

The pie floater is a meal available in Australia, which consists of the traditional meat pie sitting, unusually inverted, in a plate of thick green pea soup. It is traditionally served and covered with tomato sauce and, although subject to the taste of the individual consumer, mint sauce and salt and pepper are the also traditionally added to complement the dish. Another popular condiment is vinegar or even worcestershire sauce.

I may have to try this....but I will be sure to get chit faced first! :wacko:

Okay added to the Special Rules: Amendment 987

In addition to aforementioned rules in Post #33....Go back and read them, copies cost $$$

1.) You need to enlist your wife in the activity, pay is optional
2.) Must have some women named Barbie and drape shrimp all over her...I like this:thumb:
3.) Women do all the cooking and the Mates just put their meat on the grill...Not sure about this...:shocked:
4.) Cooking a Parrot is Okay as long as it is Multi-Colored and Neutered....Whatever
5.) Were up to 2 cases of Fosters

So does THIS about cover IT!!!!!!

Cockatiel is part of the Cockatoo family

HOW TO COOK A COCKATOO.
1. Put cockatoo and a stone into billy of boiling water.
2. Boil until the stone is soft.
3. Throw away cockatoo and eat the stone.

ROFLMAO! It is consoling to know that soft stones are preferrable to eat over tiels/toos. After all, one thing I am NOT is a cannibal. Little rascal has me wrapped around HIS finger, Sir Titch, as you say what great friends they are. ... On the other hand, I have this border collie, a true shepherd dog... . Ah, who am I kidding-- I'm talking a flock or fark o' bald sheep.

aussiedog_kaela_zpsb55e5101.jpg

Okay added to the Special Rules: Amendment 987

In addition to aforementioned rules in Post #33....Go back and read them, copies cost $$$

1.) You need to enlist your wife in the activity, pay is optional
2.) Must have some women named Barbie and drape shrimp all over her...I like this:thumb:
3.) Women do all the cooking and the Mates just put their meat on the grill...Not sure about this...:shocked:
4.) Cooking a Parrot is Okay as long as it is Multi-Colored and Neutered....Whatever
5.) Were up to 2 cases of Fosters

So does THIS about cover IT!!!!!!

Thank you, Bluesman! Oh, heaven frogive me for this one, but I am reminded of the joke, "How many men does it take to open a beer?" -- "None... it should be openned when she brings it to you."

Back