THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

At this point (Monday afternoon) , I realized that my tools weren't of the calibre to cut the 1 15/16" solid post, nor the 3" heavy pipe, to exact length. Also, about this time, I got called for overtime for Tuesday (today). So, this is all I got accomplished this weekend.

Gonna take the post and collar back to the metal shop tomorrow to get cut to exact length and, hopefully, finish the rack and lazy susan by Monday.

Work on the pit will be officially postponed for the entire month of September.

Between work, overtime already scheduled, the opening of Dove season, and a two-week early Teal season, September is booked solid.

The post and collar should be cut and ready by friday. Hope to be able to install the post and finish the rack this weekend.

Now I need some ideas on how big to make the firebox.

If I stick with my original plan, the firebox will be roughly 12" high, 15" wide, and 20" deep and will fit mostly inside the tank. The tank is 39" inside diameter.

Is this big enough or do I need to make it bigger?

Really need some advice please.

Only a little progress this week.

Had the post and collar cut to size and the top of the post machined nice and smooth.

Post installed and braced.
I knew the post had to be just right, so I plumbed and leveled, plumbed and leveled, and plumbed and leveled some more.

l-post installed.jpg

Rack sitting on the post.
The hinged section has to be raised in order to get the rack inside the tank which leaves no room for a full upper rack. Pondering on maybe a half (or would you call it a quarter) rack above. Drew a rough outline.

la-hinged section.jpg

Very pleased with the outcome. The rack spins on the post perfectly.

la-rack on post.jpg

At this point, I'm gonna step back and cypher on the firebox for a while. I don't think my origianl plan is big enough.
Also gonna think on whether I want a squared firebox or a cylindrical one.
Any thoughts?

Haven't made much progress lately, but thought I'd post what little I have done:

Plate steel for a square firebox was gonna run me about $250 so I scrounged around and found this piece of 22" pipe.
m-firebox pipe.jpg

Didn't trust myself to make the round cut on the tank so I took it to a place with a plasma cutter. They did a pretty good job...some fairly large gaps that I'll have to fill in, but overall, I'm pleased.
mmm-mated.jpg

m-side.jpg

mm-pipe in tank.jpg

The pipe will be cut down when I figure out how to build a trailer onto it while keeping the grill at a comfortable cooking height (about 39") and the firebox at an adequate size. I'm thinking the firebox needs to be at least 23 inches tall.

Any thoughts...please?

My Redneck Hoist, lol
mm-redneck hoist.jpg

Can you run that firebox horizontally?

You could place a 45* cut in the middle of the pipe and rotate the bottom half 180* (It would shift from 6 o'clock to 3 o'clock along the cut) so that it would form the shape of an L. That would give you a long pipe to throw your sticks in, a nice flat surface on the end of the pipe to place a solid door, and a less direct flow of heat and smoke, not to mention a much easier way to shovel out the ashes.

To get the bottom of the tube to sit flat on the trailer, you could cut a channel out of the bottom of the trailer so it cradles the round bottom of the pipe. Ash cleanup would be as easy as scooping it out to fall under the trailer.

This way you would be able to adjust the height of the pit, retain the volume of your firebox, and keep the motif of a unique shape.

Remember to account for the trailer when measuring your height.

I had something similiar made for me. The guy took the piece from tube that he cut out and welded it back on about 3" higher as a heat deflector. I don't have the best picture of it. I'll search around for one and if I find it I will post it.

IMG_7715.jpg

IMG_7704.jpg

Norco,, After watching the entire video,, lol I couldn't stop, Will the smoker be magnetic ? with a timer...?.. The progress looks great so far,, gonna be one heck of a Kettle..That looks real Nice Brewmaster, the eats and the cooker..

WOW!!! You have taken this project on full steam. I like the way it's turning out. The grate you came up with in the end is...............GREAT. Too cool. Keep us up to date.

I would cut the pipe like you said, cap it with just a small 6 or 7 inch inlet into the smoker. Put a door for access, and to clean it out. Ball vavle for the intake.

Jeff

I had something similiar made for me. The guy took the piece from tube that he cut out and welded it back on about 3" higher as a heat deflector. I don't have the best picture of it. I'll search around for one and if I find it I will post it.

IMG_7715.jpg

IMG_7704.jpg
Man that almost looks like my beast!!! .. well minus the rain and cloud cover.

Thanks all,

Can you run that firebox horizontally?

Remember to account for the trailer when measuring your height.

My original plan was to run the pipe horizontally. But I got to thinking that if I put it vertically, under and partially inside the tank, I would lose almost zero heat. My plan now is to cover the top and side of the pipe with plate steel, leaving a 3-4" opening for the heat and smoke to enter the tank and a baffle above to distribute everything towards the sides.

I'm thinking the fire box will be 23" in height. That gives me room for 1" of fire brick on the bottom, 2" for a grate, and 20" for the fire. I can cut a nice big door 90 degrees from the main doors and put air intakes either on the sides or on the door itself or both.

23" for the fire box, 10" for an axle and tires, and 6" of open space between the top of the fire box and the cooking grate gives me a cooking height of 39", which, for me at 6' 3", is very comfortable. My wife, who is 5' 4", agrees. (I stacked a couple of pots and a cookie sheet on the stove for her to test) I think I can go as high as 42" and still be ok.

My concern now is how to add some sort of shock absorbtion to the axle.
Leaf springs will add about 3" which is a bit much.
Northern Tool sells
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200335738_200335738
and
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_32041_32041

Does anyone have any experience and advice using these?

Thanks

My original plan was to run the pipe horizontally. But I got to thinking that if I put it vertically, under and partially inside the tank, I would lose almost zero heat.

It may also give you too much heat making temps difficult to control. You may also end up having to spin the Susan more often in an effort to keep things cool causing loss of temps then heat spikes.

I find these things with the Meat Beast and have considered mounting a firebox for longer cooks.

Can you try it horizontal first then fab it vert if you don't like it.

Seeing as this horizontal/vertical question may have temp distribution and control issues involved, I think an expert opinion on smoker building might be needed here. Maybe someone with some serious experience can chime in.

I agree that a vertical assembly would cause for significantly less heat loss thus making a more efficient cooker. Would it cause for significant spikes in temp when sticks are added?

I also see how having a tall enough cooker is important for your height. A sore back just doesn't make for fun cookin. Maybe some adjustable pneumatic shocks would work. That way you can adjust it to your height needs, drop it for other people, as well as keep it lower for safer towing. I know nothing about shocks, just an idea.

Dr. KY and Homework,

Thanks for the input.

You might both be right about the temp spikes, we'll just have to see. If I get significant spikes, I might just have to start burning my wood down to coals before I add it to the firebox. Which, might not be a bad thing. A nice little fire on the side would give folks (my wife especially) something poke around with while cooking and then maybe not try to rush me so much.

Another thing I'm hoping is, if I can get this whole thing to seal up tight, I might be able to cook with it like an UDS. Get the fire going, set the vents just right and let it go for 5 or 6 hours. I'm just gonna have to learn as I go, much like this whole build.

The adjustable shocks is something to think about. I'd really like to keep the trailer to the bare bones minimum. Just an axle and a tongue. But, I may have to beef it up a bit to keep the whole thing from smashing apart in a pot hole.

Things are going pretty slow with the build but I have made some progress:

Firebox door cut, hinges, handle and latch installed.
firebox1.jpg
firebox2.jpg

Top, bottom, and side plates attached
firebox3.jpg

Pre-fab air vent/damper assembly
firebox4.jpg
firebox5.jpg
firebox6.jpg

Test fit

firebox7.jpg
firebox8.jpg

Hope to get some more work done today.

Was looking like the death star until yo added the huge pipe.
Great work on getting this far. Looking forward to seeing the final stage.

Back