THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks again for the replies, guys. Please keep them coming.

Bob, installing the main rack in halves or quarters was about the only way I could think of doing it without cutting the whole tank in half. However, the hitch and receiver idea is something I hadn't thought of. That could work! I was thinking of installing one half and then tacking and/or bolting the second half onto the first. I was also pondering on Norco's idea (Thanks Norco!) of having part of the grill on hinges so that you could flip it up and add coals and make clean up easier. But........the hitch and reciever..the more I think on it,,the more I like it. And, it could still rotate Lazy Susan style. Gonna give that some serious thought. I'm also thinking, at this point, that a Lazy Susan is a must. It's just too cool of an idea not to do it.

I have pretty much ruled out the projected, Rolls Royce hood idea. Not only do I want to keep this thing as round and spherical as I can, but I'm also thinking that the hood would hit me right about the forehead and I don't want to be stooping over while checking the meat. Straight of back and square of shoulder is the only way to look good while grilling and we all know how important that is.

Randy, you and everyone else are invited when I get this baby fired up!

PitBoss, will use bleach on the next soak. Thanks.

If I owned that thing, me and my friends would probably be taking turns this weekend rolling each other down a hill in it.

~~grillinski

The tank has soaked for two days with Mean Green and two days with bleach (thanks for the tip, Pitboss)

The bleach got rid of most of funk but I got to thinking, (and drinking) and figured that a good boiling might do the trick:

Having a hard time finding a metal shop to cut this for me. Called six places already and no one will touch it. Will probably have to do it myself but was looking for someone with a steadier hand and better tools.

Attachments

• HPIM0569.jpg
    HPIM0569.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 256
How are you going to access the coals? Removing grates to add coals or reaching down to clean up ashes is going to be a pain. Get a cylinder about 18 inches high to serve as the base for the cooker and also the fire box. Probably be easier to make vents for a cylinder than a sphere anyway.

Like LANDARC said, I'd plan on two doors - 180 degrees apart so that you don't have to lean way into the cooker to work on the meat. Lazy Susan is interesting, except it'd have to be pretty sturdy and just adds complexity.

A BGE type top vent would probably work pretty good - maybe have to make it a bit bigger.

Do you want a smoker or grill? If a smoker I would make a firebox and run a tube in to the center and let heat enter there.

I'm definately going with side opening doors rather than a lift up lid/door.

Keep in mind that the hinges on any door on a sphere are gonna be tricky. In other words, because there's no flat plane to work with, really only one hinge per door will work, or they'll bind. Plus, depending on how BIG the doors are, they'll swing way out, up, down, or whichever way you have them hinged. AND...if you have doors on the bottom half (for instance) then the door will have to swing downward somewhat.

How are you going to access the coals? Removing grates to add coals or reaching down to clean up ashes is going to be a pain. Get a cylinder about 18 inches high to serve as the base for the cooker and also the fire box. Probably be easier to make vents for a cylinder than a sphere anyway.

I think this is sound advice. A true sphere like you have will make fabricating things to fit it tricky, just due to the shape.

VERY cool score, though. Can't wait to see what you end up with.

Couldn't find anyone that would cut this for me so I did it myself.

Cut the fire box opening first, figured any mistakes would be easier to hide on the bottom.

Not too bad

Attachments

• HPIM0574.jpg
    HPIM0574.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 232
Then I cut the doors and welded on the hinges. Pretty happy with the way they turned out.

Attachments

• HPIM0578.jpg
    HPIM0578.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 231
  • HPIM0579.jpg
    HPIM0579.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 233
  • HPIM0582.jpg
    HPIM0582.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 232
That does look good - you certainly didn't need our advice.

Now that you've cut into it - how thick is the metal?

I would go with a big ol bent exhaust stack with two leaves welded to it.

Cherry mod.

Thanks guys.

The metal is 1/4" thick.

As far as the exhaust goes...I'm thinking about curved pipe to end up with something like this:
http://www.best-of-web.com/pages/080618-131849-571007.html
bomb.jpg

Whatcha think?

That is way coooool !!!!!!!!
with those doors, I really like BobBriskets lazy susan idea.
For the fire you could have a sliding ashpan with sides that comes out of the bottom door with a UDS type charcoal basket on it. Then you just pull out the ashpan for starting and cleaning up.

Back