THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tal

Found some matches.
Hello Brothers -

I am drowning trying to get this toy set up. I can get it to work just fine in ADHOC mode, but infrastructure is a completely different story.

Right now my problem is that the unit is not recognizing my wireless network. I know the SSID is broadcasting, and have double checked that in the router settings. Nothing from the CyberQ. It is seeing the SSIDs of my neighbors on either side, but not mine. I have taken the unit and placed it right next to my router - nothing.

Any ideas, suggestions are deeply appreciated. So you know what I am working with, I have a MacBook Pro, and a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router working on AT&T network.

Thanks!

Tal

Only thing I can suggest if it is seeing other routers and not yours perhaps you have a setting on your router that blocks it out. I'll assume your other computers see your router.

Thanks, Cast Iron Chef!

I emailed BBQ-GURU, and they knew my router and walked me through changing the channel setting from automatic to channel 1 on the network, and that did the trick.

After that, getting set up in infrastructure mode was quick and easy. I am REALLY looking forward to using the CyberQ in this way!

Thanks for your reply and suggestion!

tal

I can't remember who helped me and gave me this information over a year ago. But I am posting my notes I kept in a text file for reference.

You will need to access your home router and log into it to view the configuration and make changes? In order to accomplish what you want, you need to be able to access that router via your computer.

Depending on the brand of the router, and how it is set up, you may be able to use 192.168.1.1 (Belkin routers use 192.168.2.1 as the default IP Linksys use 192.168.1.1) in your browser address window to access it. You'll also need to know the user name and password to log in. Again, depending on the brand, you may be able to use the default user name and password for that brand. It's different for every brand, you can Google help with this.

OK...the CyberQ set up for infrastructure mode. If you have it working in ad hoc mod the easiest way to save the changes is using the web interface, but you'll need to know a couple of things...

SSID for your home wireless network
type of security on the network (if any, WEP WPA2)
the security key or password

You can get this information from the router or you can get the SSID and security type from your phone or a PC that is on the wireless network.

Open the web interface of the CyberQ and go to the wireless settings page, it's one of the links at the top of the web UI. Then change the wireless settings to Infrastructure mode and enter the network SSID, select the right security type and enter the key or password. Once you save these settings the CQ should restart on it's own. If not, restart it.

The CQ is set to DHCP by default so it should pick up an IP address automatically from your router. You can find out this IP address either from the CQ front panel or by looking at your router to see what IP address it assigned. Use this IP address to see if you can access the CQ from a pc on your home network.

Yes? Then we can go on.

No? The hold down all four arrow keys on the CQ to reset it to the factory defaults and go back you ad hoc mode and try again. The most likely it is the security settings.

All of this is just to get the CQ on your home network. Once that is working we can look at making it accessible from the internet. In order to do that you have to change the firewall settings on you home router to allow your phone to access the CQ from outside of your home network. How to do that depends on your router brand.

It is a two step process. The first is configuring the guru to attach to your network. This is just entering the settings the same as if you brought any other new computer or device into your home.

Keep in mind that the guru initially acts as a wireless web server so you have two networks involved. Once you enter your settings and reboot the guru it may pop up and say "no network". Ignore this. Give it a minute and if the buttons start to flash, it is communicating. If not, start over.

Now test by connecting your phone or computer to your network. Find the IP address assigned to the guru by logging into your router and enter that address into a browser. If the page pops up, step one is complete. You are networked.

Step 2 involves "port forwarding" any traffic on port 80 from the outside to the guru's IP address. The exact way to do this depends on your router but it should be pretty straight forward. Finally, you need to find your external ip that has been assigned to your location by Internet Provider. You can just google "what is my ip" to find that out. Take your phone completely off of the WiFi network but keep your cellular data on, open a browser and enter that address. Keep in mind that unless you pay for a static ip, this can change from time to time.

The Guru is set to WPA2 instead of WPA2 PASS. Set it to WPA2 PASS and enter the key exactly as it is on the router (case is important) and restart the Guru. When mine connects to the network it doesn't show an address, but when I look at my router I can see that it is connected and find out the IP address from there. You can look to see if there is someplace in the Router UI to see what devices are connected to it via Wifi?

Is the Guru set to DHCP or have you given it a specific address (prefered), and is the default Gateway on the Guru set to 192.168.x.x (router's address), subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 The preferred address should be outside the allocated range to assign IP addresses to avoid conflicts.

Here is another reference page to follow that may assist you.
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/cyberqwifi/cqwf5.htm

Last edited:
You will need to access your home router and log into it to view the configuration and make changes? In order to accomplish what you want, you need to be able to access that router via your computer.

Depending on the brand of the router, and how it is set up, you may be able to use 192.168.1.1 (Belkin routers use 192.168.2.1 as the default IP Linksys use 192.168.1.1) in your browser address window to access it. You'll also need to know the user name and password to log in. Again, depending on the brand, you may be able to use the default user name and password for that brand. It's different for every brand, you can Google help with this.

OK...the CyberQ set up for infrastructure mode. If you have it working in ad hoc mod the easiest way to save the changes is using the web interface, but you'll need to know a couple of things...

SSID for your home wireless network
type of security on the network (if any, WEP WPA2)
the security key or password

You can get this information from the router or you can get the SSID and security type from your phone or a PC that is on the wireless network.

Open the web interface of the CyberQ and go to the wireless settings page, it's one of the links at the top of the web UI. Then change the wireless settings to Infrastructure mode and enter the network SSID, select the right security type and enter the key or password. Once you save these settings the CQ should restart on it's own. If not, restart it.

The CQ is set to DHCP by default so it should pick up an IP address automatically from your router. You can find out this IP address either from the CQ front panel or by looking at your router to see what IP address it assigned. Use this IP address to see if you can access the CQ from a pc on your home network.

Yes? Then we can go on.

No? The hold down all four arrow keys on the CQ to reset it to the factory defaults and go back you ad hoc mode and try again. The most likely it is the security settings.

All of this is just to get the CQ on your home network. Once that is working we can look at making it accessible from the internet. In order to do that you have to change the firewall settings on you home router to allow your phone to access the CQ from outside of your home network. How to do that depends on your router brand.

It is a two step process. The first is configuring the guru to attach to your network. This is just entering the settings the same as if you brought any other new computer or device into your home.

Keep in mind that the guru initially acts as a wireless web server so you have two networks involved. Once you enter your settings and reboot the guru it may pop up and say "no network". Ignore this. Give it a minute and if the buttons start to flash, it is communicating. If not, start over.

Now test by connecting your phone or computer to your network. Find the IP address assigned to the guru by logging into your router and enter that address into a browser. If the page pops up, step one is complete. You are networked.

Step 2 involves "port forwarding" any traffic on port 80 from the outside to the guru's IP address. The exact way to do this depends on your router but it should be pretty straight forward. Finally, you need to find your external ip that has been assigned to your location by Internet Provider. You can just google "what is my ip" to find that out. Take your phone completely off of the WiFi network but keep your cellular data on, open a browser and enter that address. Keep in mind that unless you pay for a static ip, this can change from time to time.

The Guru is set to WPA2 instead of WPA2 PASS. Set it to WPA2 PASS and enter the key exactly as it is on the router (case is important) and restart the Guru. When mine connects to the network it doesn't show an address, but when I look at my router I can see that it is connected and find out the IP address from there. You can look to see if there is someplace in the Router UI to see what devices are connected to it via Wifi?

Is the Guru set to DHCP or have you given it a specific address (prefered), and is the default Gateway on the Guru set to 192.168.x.x (router's address), subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 The preferred address should be outside the allocated range to assign IP addresses to avoid conflicts.

Here is another reference page to follow that may assist you.
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/cyberqwifi/cqwf5.htm

One note...

Step 2 is needed only if you want to access the CyberQ from outside of you home network. If you don't care about this, then you can stop after step one is working.

One note...

Step 2 is needed only if you want to access the CyberQ from outside of you home network. If you don't care about this, then you can stop after step one is working.

I think i copied most of this text from you over a year ago Ron, Just couldn't remember exactly who, and I couldn't find the thread.

Last edited:
Yeah, you need a little network knowledge to really get the CyberQ working. Since I run my own DHCP and DNS server with static assigned addresses, it was pretty simple for me to add the CyberQ (just had to get a device that recognized it from AD-HOC mode first to do the configuration). Now I just use my phone and go to "BBQ" on my network and it pops up the CyberQ. I debated putting it in my DMZ, but I would rather not open the possibility that someone external to my network hacks in and changes the temps on my smoker while it is cooking :D At some point in time I might setup an external VPN authentication to allow me to connect in securely over the internet, but until then, it is staying locked down.

With the new firmware you can put a password on the web page. You want to set a reservation for the cyberq or set it static. Once you do get it connected you can see the MAC address on your router and should be able to set a reservation so it gets the same IP every time or again, set it statically. I always have it go to 192.168.1.99 so I can always get to it.

If you want to access it from outside the house you may need to change the port it serves the website on. Many ISP's block inbound port 80 (www traffic) to home internet connections. AT&T U-Verse does for sure. I changed it from port 80 to 7777. Once you change it you just need to type in the address with a :7777 on the end to access it. For instance I connect to http://192.168.1.99:7777 to access it. If you are only doing internal then it's not needed but it's really nice to be able to leave the house and check in on things when out or at work. The port setting is in the network settings on the cyberq.

You have a few options from there, whatever you set that port to in your router you will want to forward thru to that reserved or static IP you set. You should see firewall or port forwarding and would put in type TCP and whatever port you picked. (Pick something higher than 1024). For simplicity sake of accessing it outside go to http://freedns.no-ip.com/ and setup an account using your computer on your home network. Make a hostname you will remember and then it will update to your outside IP. You can run their update client or once every 30 days it'll email you and you have to login and click update to refresh the IP and stay active. You can also do their paid one which doesn't expire. From the outside then if you have the portforwarding correct you can use http://whatevername.no-ip.com:7777 on your phone or work computer or whatever and access and manage from anywhere.

Advanced part 2: You can setup the device to email you. You do need to setup a relay account. This can be done for free from http://www.gmx.com/ which works well. I setup an account there and have it forward/send to my normal gmail account. I just unplugged it but if people need specifics I can probably make some more. I get the emails but with the remote access in from the outside I never use the email alerts. I can check in and make adjustments...no real need to get email alerts in that case. It's easier to just do the port forwarding so I'd suggest just doing that and think if an email alarm would help.

Back