Looking for a new pit controller.

jcinadr

Knows what a fatty is.
Need to get a new pit controller. While I use it primarily on a UDS, I will also be using it on my smokehouse (which has a small UDS inside of it). Shortly after making my UDS many years ago, I purchased a DigiQ2. For the most part, I have nothing but good to say about it - with one exception. When my fan got shorted out - it took out the relay inside the controller. BBQ Guru treated me well, offering me a replacement control unit at a reasonable cost.

I ended up getting a CyberQ instead. On the good side, the CyberQ cooked meat fine. On the bad - it never cooperated with my home network, had way to short of range to work well in AdHoc mode. It took time to boot up, harder to read at night, menus based system (rather than simple up/down temp buttons). All in all, I got no advantage of it over the DigiQ2-and a handful of petty annoyances. Still it worked, so I did not replace it with a 2nd DigiQ2 controller. Pretty sure I left either it or the power supply in the rain one too many times. It will not boot now (given I have tried 2 power supplies - I am betting on the controller now). Think I even checked the extension cord..., but will check that again before I press order.

Just curious what the board thinks is the go to controller now. Pit boss 500, Thermoworks Signal, Fireboard, new CyberQ and why. Still would love WiFi via internet - but only if it is much improved from the original CyberQ. Need to get this figured out before sausage making season at least - till then, can still BBQ on the Egg, just get less sleep that way.

I have an old Stoker that I've used for years, but at some point will probably die. They're not making them anymore due to cost of manufacturing. Based on the reviews I've read here, I would take a hard look at the Fireboard. FYI - the Signal is unfortunately not a controller - just 4 probe thermometer/alarm. I have 2 Smokes and they've been really good, but they are the 2 probe version of the Signal and monitor/alarm only as well.

I have done only 4 cooks on my fireboard but it has run pretty flawlessly, I have never had network setup be any easier on a device before. Its all done through the app on your phone.

My wifi signal can be spotty in my house for some reason, no matter where I put the modem but the fireboard has never lost signal once.

The automatic cloud based graphing is really nice as well.

The only thing I dont know if I love is the way the fireboard fan damper works, its basically a swinging gate, when the fan is off the damper is 100% closed, and when the fan blows it will push the gate open to let air in. I wish it was more like the guru fans where you could set the damper to your desired position. This also means the fan must always be in the correct orientation or the damper will not close. The first time I ran my LSG with the fireboard it ran away from me a little bit because I did not know the fan needed to be in a specific orientation.

Pretty sure the Signal WiFi can be connected to an add on blower - Billows, just like the Fireboard.
Billows_generic-05.jpg

I have a DigiQ Guru It has treated me well and they have resally good customer service I have a CyberQ but never figured out how to use it

I picked up the CyberQ cloud this summer and I’ve been really happy with it. I’m not sure what the old way of connecting it to the router was but I felt like this one was pretty straight forward. I did screw up the initial connection by skipping a step, but that was 100% my fault. Once I went back and followed the steps it hooked right in, and hasn’t lost connection or been a problem since. I’m a really big fan of it having the customized timed alerts. I have it text me the pit and food temps every 45 minutes right now. Supposedly they have an app coming out this year, but everything is web based right now.

The best thing I can say is i turn it on, go to the web page and set my target temps, and walk away.

I'm still running the Digi-Q I bought in 2006, also with the original fan. Like you said, I'll probably look at wifi options if it ever craps out on me. But since I'm retired (disabled), I'm generally 10' from the smoker when it's in use anyway so I'm in no hurry to go wifi.

Most of my cooks are overnight - but the meat in at midnight or earlier so it will be ready by lunch. Wake up 8ish and if it is done, wrap and put it in an ice chest. Have had an occasional burnout, so remote monitoring would be nice.

Back