THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I found a three knife Henckel Pro S set with honing steel at a pretty good price today. The store threw in one of the wooden knife blocks and told me that if I found a store coupon or got one in the mail to bring it in and they would give me back the appropriate amount.

The set includes an 8" chef's knife, a 6" "utility" knife, and a 4" paring knife.

The store was Bed, Bath, and Beyond of all places.

I also checked out some Wusthof and some Furi brand knives and saw some Shun brand. I liked the feel of the Wusthof slightly better than the Henckel, but I was able to get a better deal on the set by going with Henckel. The Furi brand knife felt really nice, but I just didn't want to by a Chinese made product if I could find something that I liked better.

I couldn't find any retailers that had Forschner in stock to try. I may order one online to have when I go take my show on the road.

Good choice. I cook a lot and use a complete set of Henckel Pro S and a 12" Forschener Kullenschliffe with a Granton edge (only because Henckel doesn't make a 12" slicer). They will last for several generations if properly cared for (never place in the dishwasher and have them sharpened semi-annually). I use my knives far more than I use my cookers so I consider them essential to good cooking and refuse to be overly budget conscious when it comes to cutlery. I figure since I already have thousands of dollars invested in BBQ, why not spend a few hundred dollars on essential tools.

As has been mentioned, you need to add the 7" Santuku as soon as possible. This is definitely my "go to" knife. I would also consider getting the 10" slicer for your briskets, the Henckel kitchen shears, and the Henckel peeler. I do not like the Henckel boning knives or the serrated bread slicer and would leave them off the wish list (I'll sell mine to you for cheap). Also, consider getting the Henckel knife roll so you can transport them conveniently.

Just got a 12 inch Henkel chef's knife for christmas. Not sure what to do with a knife that large but it's the size that counts.

Just got a 12 inch Henkel chef's knife for christmas. Not sure what to do with a knife that large but it's the size that counts.

It that a Pro S model?

I recently got the 10" Chef's knife but will definitely add to the collection if I find a 12". I have no idea what you would use it on. Possibly take it with you on hikes through a dense jungle and use it like a machete? I usually use the 6" and resort to the 8" for big or dense items. I've yet to use the 10" but will still get a 12" if I can find it.

It that a Pro S model?

I recently got the 10" Chef's knife but will definitely add to the collection if I find a 12". I have no idea what you would use it on. Possibly take it with you on hikes through a dense jungle and use it like a machete? I usually use the 6" and resort to the 8" for big or dense items. I've yet to use the 10" but will still get a 12" if I can find it.

It's the four star but I take what I get.:mrgreen: I actually like the feel of the molded handle, though, so it should be good.

Check out this 12" Pro S http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=51

Here's mine: http://www.cutleryandmore.com/large/204.jpg

Before you jump, take a serious look at the sharpening aspect of the decision. You could easily spend almost as much on quality sharpening stones, etc. as the cutlery. Soft steel dulls faster .. is generally easier to sharpen. Hard steel is the reverse. A good Chef's knife and a DMT sharpening stone will go a long way toward most needs. Treat yourself to a really nice blade! You will enjoy it every time you pick it up. Check out some of the Japanese Gyuto blades at .... japanesechefsknife.com. They are absolutely reliable, provide great service, and can answer your pre-sale questions. The site can be overwhelming until you narrow down your choices.
sharpeningsupplies.com is another superb resource .. toll free number .. generous help.

All the best!
Tom B

I picked up a nice boning knife from my butcher a few years ago he even sharpens it when it's time.

That japanese chef's knife site, holy crapoly... I didn't see anything I didn't love... Makes you want to just cut some stuff...

We have two complete sets, one of henkel and one my grandfather passed down to me. I have no idea who makes them but they hold their edge as good as the henkels.

BTW - I use my cheap swiss army brand boning knife for nearly all my triming and general pre-smoked meat cutting. My slaughter house gives me one every year as a christmas gift and that's when I replace it. Henkel Santoku(bed bath beyond - pair for 49.00 with 20% off coupon) for carving brisket and fowl.

Please do tell how you were lucky enough to pass off the coupon to get your Henkels? I've tried a couple of times and claimed ignorance when they pointed out that the fine print on the bottom specifically lists Henkel and Wustof as not eligable for the discounts.

Well - They didn't look at the fine print. When it rejected, she just over rided the rejection and gave it to me. BB&B has never paid attention to that when I get them. Not sure if it's a store thing. It might have been the girl at the register or the distraction my son was making by pulling all of the items off the rack next to the register.

I stopped by a cook's store in town today that I had somehow missed previously. I found it when searching for vendors of some of the brands of knives I was researching. Low and behold, they actually have the Forschners in stock. They said they were they had only recently become Forschner dealers and had decided to carry them after seeing all of the good reviews in the various industry magazines. I bought a 7" Santoku and a set of paring knives that they had on sale along with a few blade safes.

I should be covered as far as chef's knives go now although I do want something from Wusthof to satisfy the gear junky in me.

A good set of steak knives would be nice too.

Well - They didn't look at the fine print. When it rejected, she just over rided the rejection and gave it to me. BB&B has never paid attention to that when I get them. Not sure if it's a store thing. It might have been the girl at the register or the distraction my son was making by pulling all of the items off the rack next to the register.

AH. I guess I need to teach my 4 year old a new trick:twisted:

I used the Forschner Santoku tonight to chop up some taters for home fires, and I was very pleased with the performance of the knife.

Back