THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KCBS might want to just not sanction this one. Might want to add a rule that they can reject an event name that is in poor taste.
Anyone who is in N&P knows I am against the shutdown. The thing is some people have died. It is in poor taste to sanction this event.
KCBS can say all they want they don't name it. Well they took the money and they should reject it. By accepting money from the event to be sanctioned it appears they are condoning it.
It gives KCBS a black eye.

====

Should they start dropping teams with names you don't like too?

====

Should they start dropping teams with names you don't like too?

Hey they can do what they want but it makes them look bad. Naming a contest after covid is in poor taste. Just my opinion. Considering some have died from it. I wouldn't cook one named that but hey to each their own.
It looks unprofessional and that is up to them if they want to be a professional organization or not.
Whats next Holocaust themed contests? :crazy:

Hey they can do what they want but it makes them look bad. Naming a contest after covid is in poor taste. Just my opinion. Considering some have died from it. I wouldn't cook one named that but hey to each their own.
It looks unprofessional and that is up to them if they want to be a professional organization or not.
Whats next Holocaust themed contests? :crazy:

This post seems more in poor taste than the name of the contest.

This post seems more in poor taste than the name of the contest.

To point how dumb the idea of making a joke of people dieing is? If you really think its ok to make a joke out of that you got to be crazy.
The point is a bbq comp with a name that makes light of Covid is as stupid as making a Holocaust themed comp.
Neither event would be appropriate. To sanction it is pretty dang chitty.
Free to do it sure but is it in good taste? No.
Would I cook it? No. Feel free to do it.
KCBS is going to lose teams over this and the PR from this is going to hurt but hey its all good act like idiots and wonder why teams disappear and wonder why contests disappear.
Like my wife says "Do dumb chit! Win dumb prizes!"

I don't agree with the lock downs but people died and are dieing from covid. Why does any of you think that its a good idea for KCBS to sanction it?

Like I said imo its pretty dumb to associate with an event like that. KCBS can do what they like.
They are shooting themselves in the foot though.

To point how dumb the idea of making a joke of people dieing is? If you really think its ok to make a joke out of that you got to be crazy.
The point is a bbq comp with a name that makes light of Covid is as stupid as making a Holocaust themed comp.
KCBS is going to lose teams over this and the PR from this is going to hurt but hey its all good act like idiots and wonder why teams disappear and wonder why contests disappear.

I don't agree with the lock downs but people died and are dieing from covid. Why does any of you think that its a good idea for KCBS to sanction it?

Like I said imo its pretty dumb to associate with an event like that. KCBS can do what they like.

-----
I look at it as humor to lighten the mood. People die from cancer and I didn't see you pissed at the Cancer Sucks BBQ. Would 'Covid Sucks BBQ Contest' be ok for you

You are kidding about all of this, right? At the contests you've been to, have you actually opened your eyes and looked around? Tell me about the demographic KCBS appeals to? Assuming that you are a member in good standing, they lose at least one.

Past experience tells me that a lot of people will bump their gums on the internet about how terrible it is, they'll swear they are done, and then return to judging or cooking. I've read the outrage and moral indignation that included claims of emailing the entire board to tell them what's up. <---While on the board, I never got that email to put me in my place and I heard from no other board members that did either.

Would the name of the event be my first choice? No. Would I cook it? I don't know, but I wouldn't make my decision based on the name. When all of the dominoes started falling I was on the phone with a friend that I was going to cook with in Hammond. He asked if I wanted to go. I was still in if he was. We'd stay close to the cook site (20 feet from turn in:rolleyes:) and put on HAZMAT suits to pick up dinner and breakfast (25 feet from our site) and wave to the Habitual Hooligans (you know I love you Robert) down the street. My friend called the organizer to see where they stood and found out that 30 minutes prior they decided to cancel. I didn't and don't second guess their decision, and in the following days as we learned more I appreciated it.

If the teams are willing to cook, the judges are willing to judge, the organizers are willing to risk their $$ AND do this thing safely I don't have a problem with it if consenting adults want to participate.

Safe travels, and best of luck to those that choose to go! I'll be on the porch working on my lick granuloma!

-----
I look at it as humor to lighten the mood. People die from cancer and I didn't see you pissed at the Cancer Sucks BBQ. Would 'Covid Sucks BBQ Contest' be ok for you

I suppose imo its a bit early to be making light of it. It won't reflect well on KCBS. Their choice.
Takes away from what the organization promotes which is barbecue. Takes the focus off what KCBS is supposed to be about.
The last thing this organization needs is another black eye and a reason for folks to walk away.
Heck call it anything but that. I am not saying don't have a contest but it makes a political statement and it divides the organization when you name it that.
Its a sensitive topic right now. Just unwise to touch on that. Better to change the name totally and might be good PR to apoligize and then actually turn it into a huge benefit.

As far as Cancer Sucks bbq its pretty clear cancer sucks. I don't think it is making light of cancer though.

Lot of folks may not like my opinion or how I choose to deliver it. The fact is it is dividing the organization so like it or not its bad for KCBS to be involved. Again it is their choice but its not going to promote barbecue.

You are kidding about all of this, right? At the contests you've been to, have you actually opened your eyes and looked around? Tell me about the demographic KCBS appeals to? Assuming that you are a member in good standing, they lose at least one.

Past experience tells me that a lot of people will bump their gums on the internet about how terrible it is, they'll swear they are done, and then return to judging or cooking. I've read the outrage and moral indignation that included claims of emailing the entire board to tell them what's up. <---While on the board, I never got that email to put me in my place and I heard from no other board members that did either.

Would the name of the event be my first choice? No. Would I cook it? I don't know, but I wouldn't make my decision based on the name. When all of the dominoes started falling I was on the phone with a friend that I was going to cook with in Hammond. He asked if I wanted to go. I was still in if he was. We'd stay close to the cook site (20 feet from turn in:rolleyes:) and put on HAZMAT suits to pick up dinner and breakfast (25 feet from our site) and wave to the Habitual Hooligans (you know I love you Robert) down the street. My friend called the organizer to see where they stood and found out that 30 minutes prior they decided to cancel. I didn't and don't second guess their decision, and in the following days as we learned more I appreciated it.

If the teams are willing to cook, the judges are willing to judge, the organizers are willing to risk their $$ AND do this thing safely I don't have a problem with it if consenting adults want to participate.

Safe travels, and best of luck to those that choose to go! I'll be on the porch working on my lick granuloma!

Thats kind of the problem that demographic is growing smaller every year. The demographic is getting older. They are either retiring or passing away. The organization will not survive without adapting. How does an event that makes light of a disease accomplish the mission of KCBS?

Really Jorge, you believe I was hiding behind a keyboard bumping my gums to put board members in their place?
FAR from it, I was simply informing the board of a situation that was getting quite ugly on a different social media that I don't know if many or any are aware of.
It was simply informational with no finger pointing or angst involved. This was just one of several BOD emails I have sent when I thought it was needed.
That is why the board exists correct?
And you sir have been around here long enough to have a feeling about how I feel about KCBS and competition BBQ.
Thanks for the poke in the eye.
Ed

I see Qualls threw a thumbs up on your post. He would have received the email I sent to the board,maybe he will chime in and relate if he felt he was "put in his place"?

Last edited:
Really Jorge, you believe I was hiding behind a keyboard bumping my gums to put board members in their place?
FAR from it, I was simply informing the board of a situation that was getting quite ugly on a different social media that I don't know if many or any are aware of.
It was simply informational with no finger pointing or angst involved. This was just one of several BOD emails I have sent when I thought it was needed.
That is why the board exists correct?
And you sir have been around here long enough to have a feeling about how I feel about KCBS and competition BBQ.
Thanks for the poke in the eye.
Ed

I see Qualls threw a thumbs up on your post. He would have received the email I sent to the board,maybe he will chime in and relate if he felt he was "put in his place"?

Or I was speaking of my personal experience on the board...

I had no issue with you contacting the board, nor did I doubt that you did. If you read some of my posts in this forum you’ll probably notice that I encourage members to contact the board to let them know where they stand. That is based on the experience I described in my post yesterday. That experience was that the folks that regularly picked up their pitchforks and torches on social media virtually never communicated their thoughts directly to the board no matter what they claimed publicly.

Next time I want to poke you in the eye I’ll clearly announce my intent:p

I dunno that I agree with you Rusty but I think I Understand what your trying to say.

Around here, granted we are just little NW Iowa and the packing plants are starting to blow up but I digress, around here there are numerous fundraisers using the Coronavirus or COVID-19 or Quarantine in their name. School graduations, food drives, things with local police department and even medical facilities and as I said this is in the name of their fundraisers. My town has a little festival every year in June, that they did end up cancelling yesterday but they at one time talked about using some version of the virus name in the festival name.

So I guess what i am trying to say is some people dont just look at the downside even if very tragic. Others use it because of something that will live forever that they went through this, others just to have fun with something.

I addressed graduations earlier but on social media there are to many to count seniors posting their graduation picture, in masks or outfits etc. And I would say most of those are using some version of the name for memory. Sucks big time for them but they ARE trying to make the best of it and make sure 50 years from now they went through this.

You used Holocaust, however look at other end. People celebrate Memorial day, whether they do it right or not is not for me to say. Others memorialize D-Day June 6th, other people memorialize Dec 7th etc etc.

Back