Judges doin dishes

Not sure this is apples to apples. A team I occasionally cook with know they are going to get to cook when they arrive at the site. That, and socializing with other teams is what they are after, getting a call really isn't on their radar, although they get their share of calls.

I'll agree that it will never be strictly apples to apples, because a judge will never invest and sweat as much as a cook. Cooks can cook and socialize in their driveway, they don't have to go to a contest to do that.

Our responsibility to manage our expectations in service of the sport are exactly the same.

If a CBJ isn't interested in driving to accept boxes at the table, or dump trays in the trash, or renumber boxes I don't have a problem with them choosing to stay home. Cooks know what they will have to do, when they sign up to cook.

Over the years I've rolled my eyes when judges have argued that they pay to travel, and for lodging, etc. with the implication that they have equal skin in the game. I don't believe they do. That doesn't mean that I believe they have none.

If the current policy remains, I wouldn't be surprised to see at least some organizers change their applications for judges. They will get to check a box if they are willing to accept other duties. Any guesses on who would be the most likely to be accepted?

If a CBJ isn't interested in driving to accept boxes at the table, or dump trays in the trash, or renumber boxes I don't have a problem with them choosing to stay home. Cooks know what they will have to do, when they sign up to cook.

Over the years I've rolled my eyes when judges have argued that they pay to travel, and for lodging, etc. with the implication that they have equal skin in the game. I don't believe they do. That doesn't mean that I believe they have none.

If the current policy remains, I wouldn't be surprised to see at least some organizers change their applications for judges. They will get to check a box if they are willing to accept other duties. Any guesses on who would be the most likely to be accepted?

A couple contests around here already do just that. I've judged one a couple times where there is a question about whether I am willing to judge EITHER the pro or backyard. I'm a backyard cook myself, and have nothing against backyard cooks, but personally, I'd rather judge pro at this early stage in my judging "career." So, I check 'no' to that with the understanding that it might lessen my chances of getting chosen. As a cook & a judge, I understand it is the organizer's prerogative as to who they seat to judge & I'm just thankful to be able to participate when I can.

Almost every Judging application I have seen as of late has some y/n questions:
master judge
certified table captain
willing to TC
will to serve turn in
willing to judge backyard
first time judge

As others have said, we go for the love of the sport and
spending time with the "BBQ family", (yes, that includes teams we have gotten to know :p )

In fact, we are off this weekend to help with a CBJ class. Sure to be a mix of civilians and cooks wondering what the heck goes on ion the big white tent.

Last edited:
Have to back up some on my thought process on this. Originally I thought you could only have one volunteer item on your path to Master status. I now know you can have up to ten volunteer events. This fact lessens my aversion to being assigned volunteer duties, especially if I driven a fair amount of miles.

At the last two events judges were preassigned seats, and it was stated a change in setting extras had been made recently. Don't take this as gospel, my memory isn't as good as it once was, but sounded like extras would be seated by the time they signed in that morning and/or by the number of events they have judged with preference going to judges with more experience. There may have been one more criteria...but don't remember for sure.

At these two events the Reps were great and got everyone seated, at the first one there may have been a dozen or more extras.

Just wanted to state I'm not as against volunteering as I earlier thought, at least up to ten events worth, are counted toward Master status.

Sorry to labor the issue

PS These two were my first KCBS sanctioned events and I was surprised how many judges brought coolers.....at first I thought they sure drink a LOT of water while judging.....

At these two events the Reps were great and got everyone seated, at the first one there may have been a dozen or more extras.

Getting every judge that shows up seated is the opposite of what a good rep should do.

The stated purpose of KCBS is "to insure you get a fair and impartial evaluation of your skills, as a barbecue cook; and to make sure the KCBS rules and regulations are followed."
It is not to make sure as many judges as possible get to eat.

Overseating judges adds to the TOA/TOD problem by increasing the number of variables and the number of tables. More people judging makes for a less fair evaluation of our skills and this problem is getting worse.

KCBS needs to take this decision out of the reps and organizers hands with a simple chart that shows how many tables for each set number of teams. It is a simple fix, but again, it might make the judges angry and the judges have all the power in KCBS based on numbers so nothing gets done.

Have to back up some on my thought process on this. Originally I thought you could only have one volunteer item on your path to Master status. I now know you can have up to ten volunteer events. This fact lessens my aversion to being assigned volunteer duties, especially if I driven a fair amount of miles.

At the last two events judges were preassigned seats, and it was stated a change in setting extras had been made recently. Don't take this as gospel, my memory isn't as good as it once was, but sounded like extras would be seated by the time they signed in that morning and/or by the number of events they have judged with preference going to judges with more experience. There may have been one more criteria...but don't remember for sure.

Just wanted to state I'm not as against volunteering as I earlier thought, at least up to ten events worth, are counted toward Master status.

Sorry to labor the issue

PS These two were my first KCBS sanctioned events and I was surprised how many judges brought coolers.....at first I thought they sure drink a LOT of water while judging.....

It's nice to know that your 1st concern is making sure you get credit towards your masters.

You need to cook with a team for that to happen too, it would be wise not to wait around for that part.

Getting every judge that shows up seated is the opposite of what a good rep should do.

The stated purpose of KCBS is "to insure you get a fair and impartial evaluation of your skills, as a barbecue cook; and to make sure the KCBS rules and regulations are followed."
It is not to make sure as many judges as possible get to eat.

Overseating judges adds to the TOA/TOD problem by increasing the number of variables and the number of tables. More people judging makes for a less fair evaluation of our skills and this problem is getting worse.

KCBS needs to take this decision out of the reps and organizers hands with a simple chart that shows how many tables for each set number of teams. It is a simple fix, but again, it might make the judges angry and the judges have all the power in KCBS based on numbers so nothing gets done.

This!!! The more standardizing they can do the better. Contests should be run the same no matter where you are at. When we moved here I was suprised at how different each comp was and how that depended on the rep and organizer.

This!!! The more standardizing they can do the better. Contests should be run the same no matter where you are at. When we moved here I was suprised at how different each comp was and how that depended on the rep and organizer.

Yep!, but when you get a contest that has some celebrity judges you have to have enough tables for one per table, otherwise you will have some tables that have two uncertified judges and some tables with just one.:pray:

Yep!, but when you get a contest that has some celebrity judges you have to have enough tables for one per table, otherwise you will have some tables that have two uncertified judges and some tables with just one.:pray:
Twice last year was judging at tables that were half locals. At my better half's table 2 folks asked "What's a brisket?", (don't think that contest came back this year).

Back