THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mchar69

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I went in to get some Kingsford Professional - and I see they are now only carrying Costco Professional charcoal. Anyone use it and have a comparison to Kingsford? Thanks.

I came across these not too long ago. I was quite impressed. They burned long and had good heat output for the duration of the cook. I prefer KF but the Kirkland brand works really well too~!

- G
Good to know information, thanks!

I came across these not too long ago. I was quite impressed. They burned long and had good heat output for the duration of the cook. I prefer KF but the Kirkland brand works really well too~!

- G
I have to disagree. I tried the Kirkland last year, and I found it to be some of the foulest, nastiest, thickest smoke I have ever seen when starting a chimney. When it caught up it was thermonuclear. Flames shooting so high out of the chimney that I thought it was going to catch my porch on fire. When it finally cooled down to cooking temp it seemed all the energy was used up, because it died out rapidly.
The Costco near me has the Kingsford Pro on sale now, $19 for 2 18 lb bags.

I bought the Costco charcoal, did a test burn in my modified Backwoods G2 Chubby, was so disappointed with it compared to B&B, I gave it away the same day. Never again.

What ever happened to Royal Oak Chef's Select? That was good stuff, no other RO product, lump or brick came close.

I have to disagree. I tried the Kirkland last year, and I found it to be some of the foulest, nastiest, thickest smoke I have ever seen when starting a chimney. When it caught up it was thermonuclear. Flames shooting so high out of the chimney that I thought it was going to catch my porch on fire. When it finally cooled down to cooking temp it seemed all the energy was used up, because it died out rapidly.

So basically, it is not much different than the Kingsford then. šŸ˜‚

For what it's worth, I picked up a bag of Kirkland pellets a year or two ago and they were the worst I ever used. They had tons of ash -- I had to clean out the ashbin after every cook. This year I tried another bag (after many people here recommended them) and these are great. The lesson here is that they are inconsistent. I suspect that is the case with the briquettes as well.

It was quite the opposite experience for me. It will not be my go to, I will use KF mainly, yet I can settle for the Kirkland if that's all that is available (it shouldnt happen as I have 20 bags of KF stored up).

- G

Just got back from Costco. I saw the Costco charcoal, it was about the same price as Kingsford, but it was 2x 20 lbs bags rather than 18. I looked the bag over carefully but could not find any mfg info, other than made in the USA. Based on the feedback here I did not try it.

Back