THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Doing some work on forum. You may experience an error when u try to post or save a setting. It's only temporary.

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
While looking around at the local Costco for something to cook & enter in the Where's Your Green Throwdown, this caught my eye:
IMG_7475.jpg

At $4.79/lb, I figured this is likely a rare opportunity for me to try some wagyu. Some of these SRF flats had some incredible marbling but were pretty thin. This one had a nice uniform thickness. I remembered that corned beef points were on sale at Safeway so I decided to grab one of them as well:
IMG_7470.jpg

I have zero experience cooking corned beef in any way but read some very informative posts by Brothers Thirdeye & Landarc about them and knew I had to soak these in water for a while to remove some of the salt. Here they are after 48 hrs of soaking and with a rub (Thirdeye's recipe) applied:
IMG_7494.jpg

Since I had so much space left in the XL BGE, I decided I would toss in some spares that I could enter into the Spareribs "Masters" Throwdown. I got to work trimming them into St. Louis cut spares:
IMG_7485.jpg

Pulled out some fine rubs made by Brothers (left to right): Ryan Chester, Big Brother Smoke, and Plowboy:
IMG_7488.jpg

Seasoned the ribs:
IMG_7492.jpg

Loaded up Jabba with the meats, hickory chunks, and cooked away at about 240 degrees & glazed with a Blues Hog Original/Red & Big Butz Original sauce mix:
IMG_7505.jpg

IMG_7525.jpg

Gave the ribs the old bend test:
IMG_7527.jpg

Sliced up the spares:
IMG_7537.jpg

IMG_7538.jpg

And gave them the taste test:
IMG_7513.jpg

I needed some veggies to go with the corned beef so I put some carrots, red potatoes, cabbage, beef broth and some corned beef drippings into a dutch oven and stuck it into the Egg:
IMG_7544.jpg

Eventually everything finished up and rested and I sliced up the point:
IMG_7551.jpg

and the flat:
IMG_7556.jpg

and served up a small plate for myself (I was already pretty full from eating ribs):
IMG_7569.jpg

I was a little surprised at how salty the corned beef was despite giving them a long soak with a few changes of the water. Not too salty for me & still tasty but definitely a little saltier than my normal briskets.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
What an awesome looking display of Q! I am really glad your are my neighbor. John was kind enough to let me sample.......oh pretty much everything. My whole family was able to participate in a blind taste test of the ribs and tonight we did a comparison of the corned beef/pastrami. Real good stuff and great PRoN!

I need to come over there and learn how you keep getting those amazing rings off of that Egg.

Sure but I don't always get this nice of rings! I'm trying to think of what I did that likely contributed...
- I didn't let the ribs sit out of the fridge too long
- Cooked at a little lower temps than my usual (I'm usually cooking ribs @ 270-290 range) - these were cooked in the 240-255 range with the racks on the upper grill in the upper end of the range
- Loaded the Egg pretty full with Wicked Good & 6 decent sized chunks of hickory
- had the DFMT open probably about 3/8" with the Stoker supplying the air on the bottom

Sometimes my flash can wash out some of the ring in pics so on some of the pics I bounced the flash off the ceiling and it seemed to give a more true color.

Did you use the Adjustable Rig for this cook?

I wish I had the new Adjustable Rig for the XL BGE but I don't. The 2nd tier is the BGE product and isn't adjustable at all. The AR for the XL wasn't made at the time I was shopping for another level.

• Thanks
Reactions: Bar
Looks good! Seems you like to bounce your flash off the ceiling haha.

I did do exactly that on some of pics as it seemed to capture more of the true color in some instances.

Honestly, I'm red-green color blind so if I say something about color at some point and you all think I'm nuts, its the color-blindness!

I did do exactly that on some of pics as it seemed to capture more of the true color in some instances.

Honestly, I'm red-green color blind so if I say something about color at some point and you all think I'm nuts, its the color-blindness!

Ha no the pics look good, I'm a photographer so I always pick up on light and where it comes from.

Back