THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ah, so that's how they do it. I'm one of those who likes the nut flavored coffee (ducking so Ron-o doesn't hit me).

Great set up Swamprb, and I even learned how to say your name. :icon_cool

Yeah - my wife just picked up some southern pecan it smells amazing. :icon_shy

i love coffee, but something in it makes my want to kill someone. next time i come over you will have to make me a cup. just tie me up first, and hide the knives and guns.

Nice video! Fresh roasted coffee must taste fantastic!! Are un roasted beans any cheaper than beans that have allready been roasted?

Yes, but you typcially have to buy in larger quantities.

Yes, they are cheaper, but you don't have to buy large quantities. There are many on line sources. Sweet Maria's that Swamprb mentioned is an excellent source of green beans in quantities starting at 1 lb. Tom as SM is considered one of the top coffee cuppers in the country and buys only the best beans.

Another source, and my main source, is the Green Coffee Buying Club. We are a group of home roaster that have gotten together to buy in bulk and share the savings. We have members in cities where there are large coffee importers and we have developed relationships with those importers and we are routinely buying the same beans that the top specialty roasters buy. We have groups of cuppers around the country that evaluate the coffee and determine if we want to buy it. If they like it they post their notes and the members decide how much they want. A local member then buys the coffee from the importer and divides it up and ships it to the other members. The member doing the distribution is then paid the cost of the coffee plus shipping and a small fee for the gas to pick up the coffee and the shipping supplies. For example, we purchased an Ethiopian coffee that was also purchased by Starbucks. Same farm, same lot. Starbucks was charging $22 for a 10 oz bag of this coffee roasted. My price, including shipping and fees, was under $3.00 per pound for 10 lbs.

Nice Video ... Now know about 2 crack coffee method ... Thanks

I started roasting years ago using a hot air popcorn popper and did 1/4lb batches for espresso. It was OK, but being in Charbucks country I got lazy! Then RonL sent me a bag of "Roastin' Ronnies" Papua New Guinea beans and I was literally knocked out! I had never tasted such smooth coffee! Ron hipped me with some coffeegeek links and I thought my head was gonna explode with all the info. I settled on the RK Drum-because of the Brethren factor!
I had the grill and Ron Kyle (RIP) has an impeccable reputation and scores of satisfied customers and I have been very happy with this extension of my Q'n hobby!

Thanks for shooting the video Michael! We'll have to try it again in more hospitable weather!

Bob, seriously the best coffee I have ever tasted. Brian makes it cappuccino style and it is better than anything you can buy or make. The main reason is because it's FRESH. Store bought coffee has been sitting around for months before you buy it.

Last edited:
I have a friend with a coffee shop, he roasts his own, so I can get beans right out of the roaster. I even get to consult on the occasional blend. So I understand the difference. I just want to do my own, cause it seems like fun. And oddly, he will not let me use his San Franciscan custom made roaster that he needs to run his business.

That was excellent Swamprb! I love coffee, the stronger the better...I have been buying whole beans at BJ's of Guatemalan Bean, French Roasted. I love it strong, I wish I had the time to do it.

Are the beans cheaper without the roasting?

I love my coffee

...and my coffee loves me :p

4186555562_513e02c05a_o.jpg

This is how I make my morning coffee, every morning. I'm glad, but not surprised to see some other serious coffee-lovers among the Brethren.

Great video - I have been dreaming for some time about getting a Weber Kettle, a Stoker, and an RK drum & rotisserie together as a roaster. I've got the Kettle, the Stoker, but sadly, no RK drum. The other home-roasting solutions make too many compromises, or roast quantities that are so small I would spend all my waking hours roasting beans.

Mark

Back