Cleaning/restoring my WSM... Any advice?

What a testament of a quality product. The before and after pictures tell the story. Load it up with charcoal, wait for the thin blue smoke and put your food on to cook. My 18.5 is much older than yours and I’m still using the original grates.

Also, all factory dome thermometers aren't that bad. I've checked mine and there is only like a 3 degree difference between that and my top grate. Fire that puppy up!

Put a full load a charcoal in there and dump a lit chimney of charcoal on top, then assemble the entire smoker, dry pan, grates and all (no water in the pan). And let it run with all of the vents wide open until it’s done. My 18 and 22 both steadied out at about 475° for hours. When I opened it up the next day everything looked brand new and the water pan was full of the bits that burned off of the grates. It would definitely be ready for cooking after that.

Chris

What a testament of a quality product. The before and after pictures tell the story. Load it up with charcoal, wait for the thin blue smoke and put your food on to cook. My 18.5 is much older than yours and I’m still using the original grates.

Yeah I'm really surprised it cleaned up so well. Great product.. I just really hope I can get into it. I've done everything by the book on running the cooker with the minion method.. and every time I can taste the charcoal on the food I cook! Everyone I talk to says "you can't taste the charcoal" But I could. Wasn't the flavor profile i was looking for. Hoping something changes this time around I really want a convenient cooker without going out and paying money for a pellet pooper!

for $15, I would change the grate. It looks chrome plated, and it looks like some of the plating is gone. While it may be ok for a cook or two, I would think the plating will continue to flake off as grease and cooking juices (usually with salt in them) work under the areas that are still plated.

I would not want metal flakes on my food.

If it were me, I would get a stainless one, problem solved forever. (I actually did this on a Yoder that I rebuilt, went to stainless grates.)

If youre still concerned with the grate soak it in a 50/50 vinegar bath for 30 mins. It will dissolve the rust leftover. That being said I would cook on that any day and not look back.

Also, all factory dome thermometers aren't that bad. I've checked mine and there is only like a 3 degree difference between that and my top grate. Fire that puppy up!

Indeed. All the thermos on my Webers work just fine. I realize lid temp and grate temp are not the same but it gives me an indication of what's going on...

for $15, I would change the grate. It looks chrome plated, and it looks like some of the plating is gone. While it may be ok for a cook or two, I would think the plating will continue to flake off as grease and cooking juices (usually with salt in them) work under the areas that are still plated.

I would not want metal flakes on my food.

If it were me, I would get a stainless one, problem solved forever. (I actually did this on a Yoder that I rebuilt, went to stainless grates.)

Hmm you do have a point.. it does seem my grates have deteriorated a little bit.. If this cook goes well I might just replace the grate if I feel i need to invest in the cooker! I hope so I just bought another 2 pack of charcoal lol.. Can't pass up that $8.88 deal lol

Back