Chuck of wood on a gas grill?

Mikhail

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Mik
Has anyone tried just putting a chunk of wood on Grillgrates for a short gasser cook? Was just wondering if I could infuse some smoke flavor that way. I had some old gunk or something smoke up the grill the other day with some halibut and the results were a fantastic accident.

It might work. Just one question: how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Depends on how hot the chunk of wood gets. They make smoker boxes that you can fill with chips and place directly on top of the heat diffusers in a gas grill.

Wet chips in the Weber device shown above will kind of work on a regular gas’s grill.

Butch’s smack your lips BBQ used to have a big home made carousel propane cooker that had a door to add splits. That cooker made excellent smoked ribs.

I also had a big daddy bbq pellet cooker diffuser that held mini splits that made a world of difference in smoke profile. Perhaps someone could come up with something similar for a gas’s grill.

Shag bark off of a hickory tree, a smoke box or foil, leave out the water, put it on a burner so it will get hot enough to smolder, it doesn't take a lot and put it in there a couple minutes before you start grilling. I feel sorry for folks who have no shag bark hickory tree's

Wood pellets work for that, but burn up quickly, depends how short your grilling time is i guess.

Shag bark off of a hickory tree, a smoke box or foil, leave out the water, put it on a burner so it will get hot enough to smolder, it doesn't take a lot and put it in there a couple minutes before you start grilling. I feel sorry for folks who have no shag bark hickory tree's

I have half a dozen of them so I will try that. Heck, we've lost that many in the 30 years we have been here. Plus a couple pignut.

I take a piece of wood and fire it up with a propane torch until it's burning - it helps somewhat.

I have used a small cast iron griddle place on the vaporizing bars and put chunks or chips on top placing the meat on the indirect heat side.

I got my start in "smoking" on a weber gas grill. I wrapped a couple of handfuls of wood chips and made a foil pack and poked holes on both sides then threw it on the flavorizer bars, made a couple of those packs then put the meat on the other side cooking indirect. When the smoke stopped I threw another pack on. I never had any luck with those metal boxes.

Unless I need the space I always have 2-3 oak chunks on the grate across the back of my 2 burner Weber. Preheat it a few minutes longer and they start smoking. Don't want to wait, hit them with the weed burner for a bit.
Occasionally during a long grilling session I'll get a flame when the lid is open and have to spray them a bit or if they keep smoldering afterwards but usually I enjoy the smell for the few minutes after the grill is off.
I notice a slight smoke flavor, nowhere near the flavor of cooking over charcoal or wood tho.

I've been throwing a handful of wood chips in my GrillGrates on my gasser and it works great. I have a sear station on mine and use it just for wood chips while cooking on the rest of the grill.

Back