THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jdub

is one Smokin' Farker
This is a great find, I wanted to pass along a recipe.
Like a "regular" chimichurri sauce with a good measure of kick.
I made this last weekend to serve with a big pile of run of the mill sirloin cuts, and it was a major hit. Its a big bold taste and you serve a dollop on each steak. Now I wouldn't drown that Angus Porterhouse with it, but regular guy beef, sirloin tips, things like that. WOW. This recipe makes a lot, cutting it in half will still serve 10 or 12 folks (another tip, fresh roast the peppers):

• 3 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 bunches Italian flat leaf parsley
  • 6 cloves garlic
  • 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 cup roasted red peppers, coarsely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
  • 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

• Whisk together the kosher salt and warm water until the salt dissolves, set aside and allow to cool to room temperature. This is called the salmuera.

1. Combine the flat leaf parsley, garlic, and olive oil in the bowl of a food processor, and pulse several times to chop up the parsley. Add the roasted red peppers, paprika, oregano, crushed red pepper, black pepper, cumin, white vinegar, and red wine vinegar. Continue to pulse the food processor until the ingredients are well combined, but still chunky.
  2. Transfer the sauce into a large mixing bowl, and slowly stir in the cooled salmuera. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to allow the salt to mellow.

Awesome! I love chimichurri and make it whenever I get a chance. BTW, salmuera just means brine in Spanish. I like to make a brine, or salmuera, with some garlic and baste the meat with it during the cooking process.

I'll add mine, (it's pretty close to yours)
I can't get enough, even on just bread.

I find it is best after 2 to 3 days, flavors really blend well. Make it mid-week for a weekend party,

• 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
  • 2 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
  • 1/4 Cup Water
  • 1 bunch flat leaf-parsley; chopped (should equal about 1/2 cup)
  • 1 medium onion; finely chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic; finely minced
  • 1/2 of a red bell pepper; seeded and finely diced
  • 1 small tomato; peeled, seeded, finely chopped
  • 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 Tablespoon paprika
  • 1 Teaspoon bay leaf (laurel); very small flakes
  • 1 Tablespoon coarse salt
  • 1 Teaspoon ground black pepper
  • hot chili flakes to taste
Make sure all of the fresh ingredients are well washed and clean before preparing.

Add all of the ingredients except the oil and vinegar into a large bowl and toss well to make sure that the salt is spread evenly around the ingredients. Allow to rest for 30 minutes.

Next add the vinegar and water. Mix well. Allow to rest for 30 minutes.

Finally add the oil and mix well. Make sure that the liquids cover the rest of the ingredients. If not add equal parts of oil, water, (and vinegar if desired - but can overpower if too heavy) until they are covered at least by a quarter of an inch. Transfer to a non-reactive clean bowl or jar that can be covered.

Make sure to cover well. Place in the refrigerator to allow the flavors to blend overnight. For better results prepare at least 2 or 3 days ahead of time.

Back