THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
My goodness, when it comes to traditional salad dressing the bottles have shrunk and the prices have gone up.
Never surrender. If it's one of the more common dressing odds are you already have the ingredients to make your own.
Small bottle of Thousand Island was just over $5 at the store just now. I could just as easily made ranch or blue cheese but I'd have needed a couple ingredients. Thousand Island I have everything.
1 Tablespoon Ketchup
2.5 Tablespoon Mayonnaise
1 Teaspoon Sweet Pickle Relish
Half teaspoon chili powder
Dash of salt and pepper

Easily customized with chopped onions, Worcestershire, hot sauce, more or less of anything above.

Like I said, ranch and blue cheese are just as simple but I'd have needed a few items. No leftovers, up $5IMG_20240529_133439~2.jpgIMG_20240529_133643~3.jpgIMG_20240529_134424~2.jpg

My go to dressing is a honey mustard vinaigrette.
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tbsp. honey
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

My go to dressing is a honey mustard vinaigrette.
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tbsp. honey
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
Copied, Thank You

I like BC. I like it on wings. However those little chicken arms are also pretty spendy so I don't buy em....never see em fresh either it's always flash frozen which I believe is the term used.

-D

Thanks for the post Adams.
I'm partial to Western salad dressing, but alas I'm diabetic and Western is pretty carb dense.
So when I finish off a bottle I hang onto it and dump half of the new bottle of Western into the old. Then I add cider vinegar, Miracle Whip, hot sauce of some form, some mustard... a bunch of lower carb additions. Changes the taste significantly but there's still some of the Western there.

Adams, I don't know where you're shopping but even Kroger isn't that expensive near me.:confused:
We use Marzetti or Lighthouse in the jars.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240602-150128~2.png
    Screenshot_20240602-150128~2.png
    50.1 KB · Views: 1
Lighthouse is very good.. The Ranch and Blue cheese. Of course you can make your own, and I know some rightly swear by 'scratch built' blue cheese dressing. That might be another use that would help me get through those big tubs of greek yogurt I get at Costco but can't seem to finish.

There is a great sandwich shop in town, husband and wife owned, and they sell the olive oil, red wine vinegar & herb dressing they use on sandwiches. It comes in a wine bottle. It is excellent, and has a lot of flavor. The spout is a bit unusual - it makes it easy to put drops of it on your sandwich.

There is another shop in town that has great salads. A big part is the dressing, and it is fantastic. You know how it goes - an old shoe wouldn't be too bad with that dressing. One is a Sicilian vinaigrette, the other cherry. I think they're more simple than some recipes online. I'm still trying to crack it. I may need to bribe someone, or get a part time job there.

Grocery prices?
A few years back when I started drinking Vodka Gimlets exclusively, it is required to stab an olive and dunk it in the fun. But what kind of olive, there is a jar of tiny pimento stuffed olives that are $1.99, or the Queen size olives stuffed with jalapeno for $7.00.
Wife says "you're not going to spend that on a jar of olives are you"?
I thought about it and told her "If I die next Tuesday and have been using the cheap ass olives, I am gonna be super pis*ed the I was such a cheap ass.
I have been enjoying a proper olive in my drink ever since.
Ed

Back