THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks for all the positive comments.
i'm going to have to learn the art of deep dish pizza. this is the 2nd thread i've seen here since sunday that had deep dish pizza. better looking than anything i've had in years, and in Omaha, i just cant find what i'm looking for.....

I cooked these at 425-450. If using an oven I put them on the bottom rack.

Oil your CI
Lay in dough at least 1/4" thick
cheese->toppings-> sauce

Bake at 425-450 for about 30minutes and then remove and let rest on racks for at least 15min. If you don't let them cool down you'll have pizza running all over your plate.

i'm going to have to learn the art of deep dish pizza. this is the 2nd thread i've seen here since sunday that had deep dish pizza. better looking than anything i've had in years, and in Omaha, i just cant find what i'm looking for.....

Here is a great place to start: http://www.realdeepdish.com/deepdishholygrail/

At the end of the recipe are different weights for different sized pans. I use a standard 9" cake pan.

Let the dough rest for at least 24 hours in the fridge up to 2-3 days. It will take on a more complex taste as the yeast ferments the dough a little.

Make your own sausage and leave out fennel.

The cheese goes on the bottom, use slices not shredded. I like a combination of whole milk mozzarella and provolone.

Keep the sauce simple, crushed tomatoes and a sprinkling of herbs. The best flavors will come from your crust and sausage.

20150611_200245.jpg

20150611_200538.jpg

20150611_204235.jpg

20150611_205154.jpg

20150611_205311.jpg

They look great, how much smoke flavor did you get. Did you get the crust from Gino's or Fraboni's or?
I got plenty of smoke flavor. Was interesting on a pie. I got the dough/pepperoni/hot bulk sausage/cheese blend at Fraboni's but I've used Gino's before as well.

The real dough for this recipe is the following. I need to stop being lazy and try it next time since a coworker said its super duper.

Dough (it should make 2 pies)

3 1⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (16 1/4 ounces)
1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal (2 3/4 ounces)
1 1⁄2 tsp table salt
2 tsp sugar
2 1⁄4 tsp instant or rapid-rise yeast
1 1⁄4 cups water, room temperature (10 ounces)
3 TB unsalted butter , melted,
4 TB Butter, softened
1 tsp olive oil plus 4 TB olive oil

INSTRUCTIONS

1. FOR THE DOUGH: Mix flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar, and yeast in bowl of stand mixer fitted with
dough hook on low speed until incorporated, about 1 minute.

2. Add water and melted butter and mix on low speed until fully combined, 1 to 2 minutes,
scraping sides and bottom of bowl occasionally.

3. Increase speed to medium and knead until dough is glossy and smooth and pulls away from
sides of bowl, 4 to 5 minutes. (Dough will only pull away from sides while mixer is on. When
mixer is off, dough will fall back to sides.)

4. Using fingers, coat large bowl with 1 teaspoon olive oil, rubbing excess oil from fingers onto
blade of rubber spatula. Using oiled spatula, transfer dough to bowl, turning once to oil top;
cover tightly with plastic wrap.

5. Let rise at room temperature until nearly doubled in volume, 45 to 60 minutes.

6. TO LAMINATE THE DOUGH: Using rubber spatula, turn dough out onto dry work surface and
roll into 15- by 12-inch rectangle.

7. Using offset spatula, spread softened butter over surface of dough, leaving 1/2-inch border
along edges.

8. Starting at short end, roll dough into tight cylinder.

9. With seam side down, flatten cylinder into 18- by 4-inch rectangle. Cut rectangle in half
crosswise

10. Working with 1 half, fold into thirds like business letter; pinch seams together to form ball.

Repeat with remaining half.

11. Return balls to oiled bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and let rise in refrigerator until nearly
doubled in volume, 40 to 50 minutes.

12. Coat two 9-inch round cake pans with 2 tablespoons olive oil each. Transfer 1 dough ball to
dry work surface and roll out into 13-inch disk about 1/4 inch thick.

13. Transfer dough to pan by rolling dough loosely around rolling pin and unrolling into pan. Lightly
press dough into pan, working into corners and 1 inch up sides. If dough resists stretching, let
it relax 5 minutes before trying again. Repeat with remaining dough ball.

Back